DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gholams Can Travel?

Wingendosering

So...I'm currently on PoD in my latest reread and I just thought of something strange.

Herid Fel dies in Cairhien the Epilogue of Lords of Chaos, right?  But the Gholam also ends up attacking Elayne, Nyn, Mat, and co. at the end of Crown of Swords in Ebou Dar.

So how did the Gholam get from Cairhien to Ebou Dar in so short a time?  Is there more than one, or can they Travel (or do they have a travelling equivalent).  I thought Sammael may be responsible for Travelling the Gholam, but Jordan lets us know that the Forsaken fear Gholams.

Besides, if the One Power can't affect Gholams how could Sammael have made a Gateway for it?

So...I'm currently on PoD in my latest reread and I just thought of something strange.

Herid Fel dies in Cairhien the Epilogue of Lords of Chaos, right?  But the Gholam also ends up attacking Elayne, Nyn, Mat, and co. at the end of Crown of Swords in Ebou Dar.

So how did the Gholam get from Cairhien to Ebou Dar in so short a time?  Is there more than one, or can they Travel (or do they have a travelling equivalent).  I thought Sammael may be responsible for Travelling the Gholam, but Jordan lets us know that the Forsaken fear Gholams.

Besides, if the One Power can't affect Gholams how could Sammael have made a Gateway for it?

AFAIK, a Gateway is still a weave whick means if a Gholam tries to go through it, the Gateway dissolves as any other weave. So my answer will be No, not possible.

Which leads to an assumption of one more Gholam active.

Gholam are constructs of the power, therefore they cannot pass through gateways--irrespective of whether they'd disrupt them (note: Mat, Cadsuane and Nynaeve's ter'angreal don't disrupt gateways, so the Gholam probably wouldn't).

Moving fast there would be time for the Gholam to travel on foot from Cairhein to Ebou Dar. Alternatively, the True Power may allow for the Gholam to travel.

Gholam are constructs of the power, therefore they cannot pass through gateways--irrespective of whether they'd disrupt them (note: Mat, Cadsuane and Nynaeve's ter'angreal don't disrupt gateways, so the Gholam probably wouldn't).

Moving fast there would be time for the Gholam to travel on foot from Cairhein to Ebou Dar. Alternatively, the True Power may allow for the Gholam to travel.

The gholam seems not to recognize the TP when feeling residues from Moridin iirc.

I doubt that the True Power allows Shadowspawn and other constructs to Travel, for an important reason.  One of Ishy's plots at the start was using the Ways to transport Shadowspawn.  *HE* has no issue with using the True Power.  He wouldn't have put that sort of effort into it (and the losses involved by Machin Shin) if he could have just woven a True Power gateway and pushed them through it.  It makes no sense. :)

I doubt that the True Power allows Shadowspawn and other constructs to Travel, for an important reason.  One of Ishy's plots at the start was using the Ways to transport Shadowspawn.  *HE* has no issue with using the True Power.  He wouldn't have put that sort of effort into it (and the losses involved by Machin Shin) if he could have just woven a True Power gateway and pushed them through it.  It makes no sense. :)

You mean in the Eye of the World? Based on the 'flickering' he wasn't yet completely free, nor in a physical freedom cycle at that time.

can you elaborate on constructs of power not being able to pass through gateways?

i mean trollocs and such CAN pass through gateways physically, but they will just die.  since a gholam is not affected by the one power, can't they physically go through a gateway and not get hurt?

can you elaborate on constructs of power not being able to pass through gateways?

i mean trollocs and such CAN pass through gateways physically, but they will just die.  since a gholam is not affected by the one power, can't they physically go through a gateway and not get hurt?

The Gholam is the same as a Trolloc. It may go through, but it'd die. And the dying is not because there are secret deathweaves built into gateways. Contructs, due to their nature, cannot survive passage. Immunity to the One Power would not help.

Also in an interview with RJ, he said no constructs can pass through gateways, including shadowspawn and Nihm (sp).

But it's given that epilogues and prologues often take place in a different time line to the main plot. IE a prologue can happen within the timeline of the previous book, in the correct timeline for the book (ie just before events of chapeter one), or some of the way into the timeline of that book. Same goes for epil.s, except opposite

http://www.stevenac.net/wot/wotchron.htm

According to that site, Herid Fel was killed on the 651th day of the series.  And according to that site, the Ebou Dar incident was on the 657th day.

I estimate the events being 6 to 7 days apart.

Ways, so far trollocs (with myrddraal) have been known to use them.

Transported by draghkar, draghkar have not been seen transporting any shadowspawn.

Gholam going to Ebou Dar on foot, not sure how fast a gholam can travel.

This process might have been done:

1 Gholam put into a stasis box at Cairhien

2 A channeler carry the stasis box through a gateway to Ebou Dar

3 Gholam released from stasis box at Ebou Dar

Archived