DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

All The Focus Is On Rand/Perrin/Mat..But..Don't There Have To Be OTHER Tav'eren?

The Fisher King

But, while Rand and his 2 pals are certainly remarkable in the LEVEL of their Tavereness...They are the three most powerful Taver'en since Hawkwing...they are not uncommon...nor is the phenomenon.

Actually, we are not told of Perrin's & Mat's taveren levels; only that their taverenness is weaker than Rand's.  And none of their taveren levels are compared with Hawkwing's taveren level.

incorrect. Moiraine states that rand surpases hawkwing in ta veren strength, un sure about perrin and mat though. (excuse the typos, on my i touch)

Remember that Loial can also see Ta'averen, that's something to chew over...

I THINK  :-\ that he has seen Fain, when fain gave Rand the other wound in his side, so I think that that could mean he is not Ta'averon. Im probably wrong though  ???

No, Loial can not see ta'veren. He figures out/makes a lucky guess that Rand is one, based on what he has read about the subject, combined with what Rand tells about what has happened to him.

However, another Ogier, the elder of stedding Tsofu (whose name I can not recall), has an ability to sense ta'veren.

incorrect. Moiraine states that rand surpases hawkwing in ta veren strength, un sure about perrin and mat though. (excuse the typos, on my i touch)

Of course, there is no way for Moiraine to know this for sure. But it is an educated guess, with Hawkwing supposedly the strongest ta'veren since the AOL, surely the Dragon Reborn must be at least as strong, considering what lies ahead of him.

However, another Ogier, the elder of stedding Tsofu (whose name I can not recall), has an ability to sense ta'veren.

when that Ogier says that he can sense the ta'veren-ness i got the feeling that most if not all ogier has a weak ta'veren-sensing-skill

• 5 weeks later...
Rand, Perrin, and Mat are the only current ta'avern. If there were any more, we would not only know but they would also be mentioned in the Prophecies of the Dragon.

Mat and Perrin were not mentioned in the Prophecies (none of the three we know of)

Rand, Perrin, and Mat are the only current ta'avern. If there were any more, we would not only know but they would also be mentioned in the Prophecies of the Dragon.

Mat and Perrin were not mentioned in the Prophecies (none of the three we know of)

Ye they are.

Fortune rides like the sun on high

with the fox that makes the ravens fly.

Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,

He snatches the moons from out of the sky.

When the Wolf King carries the hammer, thus are the final days known.

when the Fox marries the raven, and the trumpets of battle are blown.

I did get them off WotWiki so it didnt say what book theyre from, but Mat and Perrin are definitely in the prophecies.

We know that Min sees odd things around Rand, and the boys esp when around him. Now we cannot make any judgements on Rand, as his dragon rebornness will clearly give strange and powerful viewing. However is it possible that Min might have some direct indication of a Ta'varen from her viewings of them? Or, more likely, only indirect indications, based on what they will do/happen to them?

Ie can Min use her viewing to directly determine Ta'varen?

Fortune rides like the sun on high

with the fox that makes the ravens fly.

Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,

He snatches the moons from out of the sky.

When the Wolf King carries the hammer, thus are the final days known.

when the Fox marries the raven, and the trumpets of battle are blown.

I did get them off WotWiki so it didnt say what book theyre from, but Mat and Perrin are definitely in the prophecies.

First one is in Crossroads of Twilight (Chapter 28), second one in Knife of Dreams (Chapter 4).

I think that some people might be misinterpretting exactly what Ta'veren are. I suspect that there are literally thousands of Ta'veren with more being woven out every day... less perhaps in times of relative stability, more in times of greater turmoil... many are very minor, meant to correct only tiny warps in the pattern, likely very localized and very brief - one can theoretically be Ta'veren with a single act, being in the right place at the right time, being the butterfly who's wings set off the tempest, and then fading into relative obscurity once more.

Siun's ability to see Ta'veren probably only extends to when they are actually being ta'veren - people like Matt and Perrin are strongly Ta'veren right now, while Rand has literally been Ta'veren since he was in the womb and the events surrounding his birth set so much in motion.

while Rand has literally been Ta'veren since he was in the womb and the events surrounding his birth set so much in motion

Robert Jordan told that taverenness does not start at birth; also that each of the 3 were taveren since a week before Moiraine arrived.

while Rand has literally been Ta'veren since he was in the womb and the events surrounding his birth set so much in motion

Robert Jordan told that taverenness does not start at birth; also that each of the 3 were taveren since a week before Moiraine arrived.

I can appreciate that... but in a world where Ta'veren exist, the circumstances surrounding Rand's birth - considering his destiny - seem AWFULLY coincidental.

I havent read all of this discussion yet so it might have already been said, but I really cant shake the idea of Egwene having become Ta'veren at some point.

Well, shake that idea, RJ has confirmed that none of the major female characters are ta'veren.

Archived