DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

Sweet two members plus me makes three on the Min is Ilyena or bust train...lol I'm sure there are more passengers though.  And I agree with the page count...personally I hate that anything that potentially could be in the books from Jordan's notes will be excluded.  I know people want this series wrapped up but personally I want as many books and pages as it takes to put Everything in there to wrap up all character arcs and plotlines.  But that's just me.  I hope since these are our final two novels I want them to be as large as the binding makes possible so yes 900+ pages for the remaining two and wish TGS was longer too.  But thats out now and no go backs....lol

hopefully they will publish jordan's notes after all the books are done, so i have something to read

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah i really want those outrigger novels to be written and so does TOR and so far they have gotten what they wanted so far in that there are now 3 books instead of 1.  I know they aren't gonna extend it any further but that encyclopaedia better be damn comprehensive with things we dont know and never would have found out.  I know RJ has that love for making us ask questions and not wanting to give the answers and it has made for a great read but I want some answers.  lol

The identity of Gaidal Cain.

i always thought that Gaidal was going to show up when the horn is sounded again and Brigitte would not know who he was, showing he did not survive without her and that her biggest fear has come true, that she forgot him.  kinda a morbid thought, but i always thought that reading.

Can there really be any doubt that Olver is Gaidal Cain? Every time Olver is mentioned, the author has to describe how ugly he is. And is that not exactly why Birgitte prefers ugly men? I know I'm not the first to think this but I rest my case.

The identity of Gaidal Cain.

i always thought that Gaidal was going to show up when the horn is sounded again and Brigitte would not know who he was, showing he did not survive without her and that her biggest fear has come true, that she forgot him.  kinda a morbid thought, but i always thought that reading.

Can there really be any doubt that Olver is Gaidal Cain? Every time Olver is mentioned, the author has to describe how ugly he is. And is that not exactly why Birgitte prefers ugly men? I know I'm not the first to think this but I rest my case.

Yeah RJ said he wasnt

There's an age problem. Brigitte and Gaidal were in TAR till very recently (FOH). Then Gaidal disappeared and she knew he had been reborn. Then Moggy ripped her out. Olver is 7-8 years old. According to RJ, while time can run slower/ faster. it doesn't run backwards.

My personal take has always been that Olver is a dreadlord in disguise (maybe even Demandred) or possibly a dwarf dreadlord in training. He's ugly, lecherous, good with weapons and great at chatting up women, who don't seem to mind his looks or pervy behaviour.

So he's probably using compulsion.

:)  

Don't forget elayne having a bath.

No doubt!  

On that note: I'm feeling robbed. We had to sit through unimportant sidetracks like So Habor, and all of CoT, and now BS has to tie up all of these loose ends essentially in one book (assuming AMOL is completely taken up by Tarmon Gaidon)? It's just not right.

Looking through all of the posts on this thread, it's obvious that there is so much to wrap up that some things/people are going to get dropped. Either that or lots of storylines have to converge.

For example, While Rand is in the middle of a tongue-lashing from Egwene, Gawyn can stand it no longer and tries to take Rand out. Just in the nick of time, Perrin walks in with Morgase ad Galad and a joyous reunion ensues. Shortly thereafter, the borderland armies pass through Tar Valon on their way north. Padan Fain is with them and tries to kill Rand, but he's stopped by Avienda who has just returned from Rhuidean. She has heard "The Song" and sings it to Fain and he decides to become a Tinker and heads off to tell the other Tinkers that he knows "The Song."  Next thing you know, Loial and Erith show up, with a bunch of other Ogiers to fix the White Tower, and Rand talks them all into marching with him towart Tarmon Gaidon.

I'm sure you could tie up a whole bunch of loose ends with Mat, Thom and Olver/Gaidal saving Moiraine too.

There's an age problem. Brigitte and Gaidal were in TAR till very recently (FOH). Then Gaidal disappeared and she knew he had been reborn. Then Moggy ripped her out. Olver is 7-8 years old. According to RJ, while time can run slower/ faster. it doesn't run backwards.

My personal take has always been that Olver is a dreadlord in disguise (maybe even Demandred) or possibly a dwarf dreadlord in training. He's ugly, lecherous, good with weapons and great at chatting up women, who don't seem to mind his looks or pervy behaviour.

So he's probably using compulsion.

:)  

Olver is Demandred. Doesn't anyone read my signature? I reveal spoilers in it. The other ones coming are that Taim is Gaidal Cain, Mesaana is Egwene, and Bela is... just a horse.

Yeah i really want those outrigger novels to be written and so does TOR and so far they have gotten what they wanted so far in that there are now 3 books instead of 1.  I know they aren't gonna extend it any further but that encyclopaedia better be damn comprehensive with things we dont know and never would have found out.  I know RJ has that love for making us ask questions and not wanting to give the answers and it has made for a great read but I want some answers.  lol

The Encyclopaedia will be big, I'm guessing. That being said apparently there are some things RJ specified should never be revealed, so there will still be unanswered questions. As for the Outriggers/prequels... keep in mind that Harriet retains full control of them. Ultimately the decision is in her hands, and if she says no there's nothing Tor can do about it.

Rand doesn't realise he's LTT but he is the same soul. Olver can't be Gaidal according to RJ - he clarified this very specifically in some Q&A and gave "the time can't run backwards" explanation. Gaidal has been reborn but he's a baby - around one year old or less. That's why Brigitte is sad, she knows that even if she meets him, there's too much of an age difference.

Yeah I heard BS say that about the info that is to never be revealed...the thing that sucks is that technically he is a lucky fan that gets to see what those things are, kinda unfair but it is the true Creator's wish to keep it hidden and I totally accept and respect it.  As for the outriggers/prequels, yeah i didn't mean to imply Tor has control, I know Harriet does, what I meant is that so far Harriet has felt publishing was right, and this in turn is what Tor wants anyway so I'm hoping that As always, even though it won't be quite the same and never could be unless RJ wrote it, I hope Harriet gives the green light for BS to do them because I want every scrap of story this world has to offer...I know selfish but what can I say, I love it. 

Yeah I heard BS say that about the info that is to never be revealed...the thing that sucks is that technically he is a lucky fan that gets to see what those things are, kinda unfair but it is the true Creator's wish to keep it hidden and I totally accept and respect it.    

The reverse of that, though, is that Brandon has done the work to earn the right to know these things. And he's also extended himself to the risk. Doing aMoL could have destroyed his own career--that the fans had such a positive reaction to his work is great, but it was a risk he extended himself to.

As for the outriggers/prequels, yeah i didn't mean to imply Tor has control, I know Harriet does, what I meant is that so far Harriet has felt publishing was right, and this in turn is what Tor wants anyway so I'm hoping that As always, even though it won't be quite the same and never could be unless RJ wrote it, I hope Harriet gives the green light for BS to do them because I want every scrap of story this world has to offer...I know selfish but what can I say, I love it.

Harriet does seem more... retiring... on the idea than Tom, but who knows. For me its a question of how much RJ left behind on them. I've no problem with Brandon writing from RJ's direction, but if not enough exists to establish the plot it just becomes glorified fanfiction, and I'd have a problem with that.

Though if they did publish I doubt we'd know.

Yeah Luckers I totally agree with his earning it and the risk, I read my post back and I can see where I might imply something negative by not stating that...Yikes.  I just want to see it all like every true fan does...lol even if i like it or not.  Oh yeah and I agree about the outriggers/prequels, they should only be done if the majority of material is there or at least an in depth outline to go by.  Just saying I hope so basically.

Yeah, you're right... in some ways I think it would be bad to come at it like Brandon did--sure he gets to know more, but it was in dry notations, not the brilliance of the prose.

"The Seanchan attack. Egwene fights back successfully."

Yup, I'll take 'Fount of Power' any day.

hahahah point taken, hmm do you really think our hero RJ writes his notes that drab...lol...sure maybe unimportant side notations but the big ones.  Well this is Dragonmount Forums...smeeeeeeeeells like thread! 

(should i submit this officially in the suggest new topics thread)??? lol

I'd not create it anyway. As a whole we've decided not to create any threads that lead to a 'what brandon wrote, what RJ wrote' discussion. People can feel free to speculate in individual specific threads, but on a whole the idea is way too negative.

Archived