DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cuendillar armour

thelordofbattle

During my re-read for the new book a strange Idea hit me.  "Could a Aes Sedai make Cuendillar armour without violating the 3 oaths?"

I would think so, since armour is not a weapon in and of itself.  However, it could make a person survive to get to killing range...

Ferthermore, from the way the chain in Tar Valon's harbour reacted, I don't think complex articulation would work, but a breastplate or lorica Segmentata made of Cuendillar could make most mundane weapons less effective, and make armour useful for Power Duels.

What do you people think it could work?

Or would it create a huge Power Creep in the armies of the first one the find it that it would take huge literary licence to make a plausible antidote, or weapons that have a large collateral damage factor (as in "Hey! the guy inside the suite is extra crispy but alt least the armour plates are fine")

It would not violate the Oath.

Though there would be at least these obstacles:

-Finding enough material

-Getting the armor on & off

-Not every body part could get covered

-Other side doing it also if it has channelers with the ability & knowledge

-Other side lifting the people with Air then dropping or doing some other channeling around the cuendillar

Shields might be more effective than armor, though it would have some of the same obstacles.

I have always been of the impression that cuendillar was as heavy or lighter than a equivalent of steel and that the making was a 1 for 1 trade (plus the power of course)

@ mb: lorica Segmentata is your typical popular culture roman armour.  It made of multiple interlocking metal bands held in place by leather straps. There is a large amount of evidence that the romans could have made fully articulated platemail, but chose not to because:

1)the the loss of a bit of arm dexterity since the roman used a close and dirty style of fighting. It was more a kind to knife fighting than sword fighting.

2)Unless you take a full body injury (such as a explosion or fireball) damage to limbs are surprisingly survivable if we are to believe the incredible number healed scar tissue on the bones of medieval soldiers.

3)The cost would have been substantial and why replace a system that is "good enough"

I think that cuendillar is the same weight as the base metal.

But cuendillar armour would be very useful, the only problem would be if you have chainmail and you make it cuendillar would it fuse together? cause if you put rivots through the chain and a piece of plate you could make a heavy armoured person who is basically impenetrable and if you put enough padding on the inside you could catapult them through enemy ranks since they could not pierce the armour.

What I am wondering could you put a enchantment made of the one power to make it even lighter, thus increasing dexterity and such

I think that cuendillar is the same weight as the base metal.

But cuendillar armour would be very useful, the only problem would be if you have chainmail and you make it cuendillar would it fuse together? cause if you put rivots through the chain and a piece of plate you could make a heavy armoured person who is basically impenetrable and if you put enough padding on the inside you could catapult them through enemy ranks since they could not pierce the armour.

What I am wondering could you put a enchantment made of the one power to make it even lighter, thus increasing dexterity and such

Enchantment? The One power doesn't work that way bud. Not sure if they could make armor lighter, im sure they could lift up the guy and throw him though.

Enchantment? The One power doesn't work that way bud. Not sure if they could make armor lighter, im sure they could lift up the guy and throw him though.

I would assume one could simply make the original armor (pre-transformation) thinner than usual, since thickness won't matter when it's turned into Cuendillar.

uote from: Padraic_Seebrr on Today at 04:54:14 PM

I would assume one could simply make the original armor (pre-transformation) thinner than usual, since thickness won't matter when it's turned into Cuendillar.

very good point didnt think of that ;P. Could aluminum be turned to cuendillar?

uote from: Padraic_Seebrr on Today at 04:54:14 PM

very good point didnt think of that ;P. Could aluminum be turned to cuendillar?

Wouldn't matter I suppose. Would make more sense to use a cheap metal though, since the base metal doesn't really matter, as long as its metal.

@ mb: lorica Segmentata is your typical popular culture roman armour.  It made of multiple interlocking metal bands held in place by leather straps.

Even with the metal being cuendillar instead, the One Power would be able to destroy the leather straps.  At that moment, the armor might fall apart which in turn would leave the soldier unprotected.

Also, pointed weapons (spears, arrows, etc) would be able to pierce through the leather parts.

if you rivoted it on front and back, you could use a pin with a eyehole and put a cuendillar pin through it and then you would be virtually invulnerable from attack without. otherwise put leather straps beneath the arm with a thin cuendillar cover hung in place by a fine chain

But cuendillar armour would be very useful, the only problem would be if you have chainmail and you make it cuendillar would it fuse together?

Yea, it would fuse and cease to be flexible once it "cuendillized" heh.  That reaction is actually capitalized upon in CoT.

Archived