DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Favorite Hobbit Chars and Quotes

goldeneys

I like Balin, he's just really cool guy, I also for some reason liked Bombur.

And my favorite quote

Thorin to Bilbo just before Thorin dies: Some courage and some wisdom blended in measure, if more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry I must leave it now...farewell.

I liked the Hobbit. No great quotes come to mind at the moment though, but I found this passage highly amusing:

'He (The Old Took's great-grand-uncle Bullroarer)charged the ranks of the goblins of Mount Gram in the Battle of the Green Fields, and knocked their king Golfimbul's head clean off with a wooden club. It sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit-hole, and in this way the battle was won and the game of Golf invented at the same moment.' The Hobbit, chapter 1 (page 27 in my Harper Collins 1993 paperback edition).

Well, when it comes to hobbits, I have to say my favorite would probably be the "Fool of a Took" Perrigan.

He or Master Samwise.

Now as to my favorite character, I would have to think about that for a while.

Don't like the hobbit are u kidding?! Its the hobbit! How can u not like it? Favourite character is probably Thorin or Gandalf. My favourite quote would most definetly have to be: they ask gandalf where he went just after the troll incident he answers "Looking ahead." They then ask him what brought him back "Looking back."

That's exactly the kind of smart-alec comment I would make and its always stuck in my head. :-]

• 2 weeks later...

I have tryed twice to read the Sillmarillion, it is really hard to get into and once you finally start to comprehend and understand the rythem of the wording and phrases you stop reading for like 3 days and its like sandscript again, or maybe thats just me:)Yet, however abstract the beginning is with the music and harmonies, the explaination of sauron deriving from melkor, the origin of the orcs and elves and the over all schemes are really interesting. I definately need to finish that book now that I think of it!

As for my favorite character in the Hobbit, well Gollum of course.

"It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,

Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,

It lies behind the stars and under hills,

And empty holes it fills.

It comes first and follows after,

Ends life, kills laughter."

-Gollum, page 86 Houghton Mifflin Company Green Leatherback Collector's Edition

*Note to everyone who did not notice but yes I have the collectors edition(maps and watercolour paintings included) and I am all the more dorkier for it*

*post note: I also have the Hobbit boardgame, but it was a gift, good thing though I may have just bought it for myself,....oh no I think ive said to much... im just going to be quite now*

hehe I started the Silmarillion twice as well, but finally now I've gotten past the boring part, and it's become quite interesting.

collectors edition?? SWEET, I should get that.

I also like:

"No-legs lay on one-leg, two-legs sat near on three-legs, four-legs got some." Bilbo in page ? of the non collectors edition.

"The boring part" ????????

The Silmarillion does not have boring parts, you just need to go into it with the mindset that it is more of a history book than a story book. I think every part in it is interesting, including the beginning when Iluvatar creates the world "ea" and the only things alive are the Valar and what not. I only wish Tolkien had lived another hundred years so I could write full stories about all of it.

the silmarillion is like reading an encyclopaedia or dictionary for no reason. if you can find interest in that its informative. other than that its just a bunch of names, dates and locations with little meaning.

i used to write technical manuals as part of my job description and it is drier than those. :cry:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Hobbit is my favourite book of all time, with no exceptions. And it's stuffed full of great quotes. It also has a sense of fun about it that's never been matched.

J.R.R. Tolkein has a way with opening lines, I can't remember the first line of Lord Of The Rings, but The Hobbit opens with 'In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.' He wrote that on the back of an exam paper while doing some marking, and the whole story came from there. The Silmarillion opens with 'There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Iluvatar.' That sets the tone for most of the rest of the book I think, it's the Old Testament, except everyone has names in 3 different languages.

Not only that, but The Hobbit also has the best introduction I can possibly think of for the best fantasy character I can possibly think of:

"Good morning."

"What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

The riddle game is awesome, my favourite is the last one:

"This thing all things devours,

Birds, beasts, trees, flowers.

Gnaws iron, bites steel,

Grinds hard stones to meal.

Slays king, ruins town,

And beats high mountain down."

Even more so than Lord Of The Rings, there is something completely English about The Hobbit.

ILS

Archived