DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Did Rand cause the unnatural heat?

deviant728

I was reading through some of the other posts and one mentioned Rand having to reach very far to find enough moisture to make it rain in the waste, and this got me thinking; what if it was Rand that actually caused the unnatural heat in later books? Rand pulling on the weather currents in such a dramatic fashion would cause at least a momentary disruption of weather patterns, and at most something far more enduring. I am no meteorologist, so I could be very off, but is it possible that relocating the moisture to the Waste disrupted the weather patterns enough to induce the heat elsewhere?

The first mention I can think of without the books to look through that speaks directly to the heat is when Perrin is standing at the balcony in Fires of Heaven, after Rand made it rain in the Waste. I recall Demandred, at least I am pretty sure he was the forsaken, mentioning the effort the Dark One went through to change the weather and how displeased the DO would be with what the channelers did with the Bowl, but do you think this is proof enough to conclude that the DO actually did it?

What does everyone think?

Rand pulled the moisture from the air in the Waste, but the heat and the unending summer were far more widespread. It is very doubtful that Rand would have had such a far reaching and long lasting effect, especially as it took the use of the Bowl to undo it - even if Rand did use all the moisture in the air, it would surely have corrected itself at some point. It really does look like Shai'tan's doing.

impossible. There was a LOT of water in the wetlands. The amount of water needed for rain could easily be found there to make it rain in the waste. This would not be enough to change the weather that much in the wetlands.

Rand was in dry land. He had to find the water there, but as it is a desert, he could not find much and had to take it from a larger area, but not that far as the wetlands.

When Demandred says it took a lot of effort for the DO in a POV, you can be sure that it was indeed the DO.

In Path of Daggers IIRC Moridin thinks to himself about the weather being the Dark Ones doing, Im sure he knew Nynaeve and co were on with sorting the weather out and at the end of his PoV he thinks to himself "those who ruin his plans and live, live to pay." Not the exact wording, but you get the idea. I havent got a page reference

Path of Daggers Chapter 2 just after Aviendha unravelled the gateway she, Elayne and Nynaeve and co had passed through. Madic mentions they have a ter'angreal that can control the weather, Moridin asks about it, and then this, on p77 of my paperback copy.

The Great lord would not be pleased. He had strained from his prison to touch the world enough to fix the seasons in place. He was impatient to touch the world more, to shatter the void that contained him, and he would not be pleased. Rage enveloped Moridin, blood pounding in his ears. A moment past, he had not cared where those women went, but now... Somewhere far from here. People fleeing ran as far and as fast as they could. Somewhere they felt safe. No use sending Madic to ask questions, no use squeezing anyone here...

Blah blah, he goes on to wonder where they all went, whether to the rebel Aes Sedai or to Rand and whatnot, realises he has killed Madic and let the corpse fall. Then:

...Ripping a hole in the fabric of the Pattern, he Traveled with the True Power. He had to find those women before they used the Bowl of the Winds. And failing that... He disliked people meddling in his carefully laid plans. Those who did so and lived, lived to pay.

So there it is. Moridins thoughts reveal it.

Archived