DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

PRONUNCIATION

mmeeshal

Okay, I was posting another thread on the BT board, and something I typed made my mind jump to this.

So, I know different people pronounce the same words differently, sometimes, and it can be dependent upon the region they live in, native language, personal/biological tendencies, etc.

Okay, how do you pronounce the word "route?"

When dealing with road terms, like "Route 66," I say it so it rhymes with "boot."

In 99% of the other cases, I say it so it rhymes with "out."  Like, "paper route."

How about you?

And what do you call that carbonated drink you like so much? Pop? Soda? Coke? (etc...)

I say route, like rhyming with boot, always. I've never heard another Brit pronounce it the other way.

And I call it Coke or fizzy generally because that's what I drink when I have fizzy.

My in-laws pronounce migraine like me-grain and it makes me want to shake them and say that there's no friggin 'e' in the beginning of that word. :P

I was on a course in the States af ew years back and the teacher kept on saying this word route (rhymes with out) took me a while to work out what she meant, lol.

El is right all Brits will say it the 'boot' way for all sorts.

As for fizzy drinks, I call them that, ot coke, diet coke, lemonade etc depending on what it is. Soda to me is like fizzy water you add as a mixer in a drink...whisky and soda!

I have to say I call it mIgraine...you're right it has an 'i' in it El, lol

we have a few owrds over here..

Bath (either rhymes with calf or Cath)

Scone (either rhymes with moan or on)

I say bath (rhyming with "cath" or "path") and scone (rhyming with "moan").

I forgot about scones (I say it as rhyming with moan). Hubby says it the other way.

One thing that always gets me, aluminium. Americans call it aluminum and it makes me laugh everytime. :D

You mean it's not aluminum? ???

No, it's not. :P They called it aluminium so that it conforms with all the other elements in the table that ended in -ium when it was first came to put into the table of elements.

Besides aluminium rolls off the tongue better than the other, imo. :D

I say bath...calf I also say path like that too :D

scone is defiantely moan too,

As or Aluminium

Al-you-min-ium lol

so how does he say house and about...not house as in mousse and about as in aboot like the Scottish, lol

A mouse (mousse) loose about this house (mousse) lol

Yeah that's how we Brits say it. :D Suppose it's one of those things that could be right either way.

What I really love is how my Canadian landlord says house and about. ;D

Oh lord he doesn't say "hoos" and "aboot" does he?

I'm Canadian and I pronounce it "root."

More word fun: Canadians and Americans pronounces "Tomorrow" differently (there are a few others but they escape my mind)

Okay, how do you pronounce the word "route?"

pronounced 'root'

And what do you call that carbonated drink you like so much? Pop? Soda? Coke? (etc...)

Umm, it's Soda. 'Pop' is the guy who knocked up your mom about 9 months before you were born, and 'Coke' is either a brand name for a cola which is a type of soda, or the white stuff that people shove up their noses to rot their brain...

aluminium rolls off the tongue better than the other, imo. :D

Adding an extra syllable to a word does not make it roll off the tongue better.  Infact, it's quite the opposite and sounds very jarring, it jars the ears.

The accent that bother's me the most is the Philadelphia accent.  They're constantly pronouncing all of the vowels independently in words which the vowels are supposed to combine to make a single sound, such as in the word 'foam'.  It's a long 'o' sound, not a 'long o' followed by a 'short a'.  It drives me nuts! Being raised in NYC, I understand we have lazy accents, but I get why we do that.  We live fast paced lives, so we talk fast, and we drop syllables that you don't really need.  Every New Yorker pronounces the number 3 as 'tree' and the compartment in your desk that hold your office supplies which you call a drawer, to us it's simply, a 'draw'.  Why one would waste time making words longer than necessary is unfathomable to a New Yorker.

That is the was I say it soo Jelly...the aluminium that is...ca n't go with the Bath though, but I think that is a bit of a north/south divide.

Sorry Sis, but in this case I have to agree that less (as in syllables) is more!

;)

But I want more... :)

Archived