DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Strategy games

Braus

Anyone got any advice on something fun to do in singleplayer?:) Dont mind old stuff, usally possible to get it cheaper. Need something fun to do between studies. Was thinking Empire Earth 1, but as far as i recall the computer is insane to play vs. Also wanted to try Dungeon Keeper 1, but apparently its not possible to play it on vista >.<(only windows 95?)

The first dungeon keeper was literally 10 times better than dungeon keeper 2. Its a pain getting it to work on vista though, unless you use dosbox. Im thinking about getting myself a shit computer just to be able to get windows 95.

I thought DUNGEON KEEPER 2 was much better than DK1, if only because it works on XP with no problem (not sure about Vista). When I tried going back to playing DK1, I missed all the extra rooms from DK2.

For old-school strategy titles, STARCRAFT is a classic. GROUND CONTROL and GROUND CONTROL 2: OPERATION EXODUS are underrated and almost-forgotten strategy games (the precursors to the recent WORLD IN CONFLICT), which is a shame as they are brilliant. A lot of the ideas and innovations they introduced to the strategy game genre are still only now being caught up with by other companies. They also still look great, despite their age (9 years for the first one, 6 for the second).

HOSTILE WATERS is worth tracking down for something a bit different. It's strategy but you only see the battlefield through cameras attached to the vehicles and a satellite map of the battlefield. It does a good job of limiting your field of control and view and really pushing strategy and tactics to the forefront. It also has a fantastically dark sense of humour in the storyline. And Tom Baker is the narrator, which automatically adds much awesomeness to the game.

The TOTAL WAR games are good. I like a lot of the mods for MEDIEVAL II, but the basic game is still very resource-hungry and buggy. ROME: TOTAL WAR looks almost as good but runs much better on modern machines.

My #1 recommendation probably would be the HOMEWORLD trilogy (HOMEWORLD, HOMEWORLD CATACLYSM and HOMEWORLD 2), 3D strategy games in space with great storylines and music to drop dead for (the three games, particularly the first and last ones, have the best music of any games ever made for any system). They're all pretty cheap, still look fantastic (the first game is ten years old this autumn and doesn't look it at all) and play great. HW2 is quite tough, but if you go through the first two games first, you should have the skills developed to beat it.

ah cool gonna see if i can find any of those games.

And yes, i liked, or well love, dungeon keeper 1 the most :) I actually got a xp computer from dell that run dungeon keeper 1 without any problem for some strange reason. Dont even have to do the compability etc, it just runs. Besides it got the best intro ever :P

Yeah red alert is hardcore, the first one as you say. Remember using to LAN red alert 1 back in the days, and we always choosed the same colour and built the same base togheter.

Dungeon keeper 1, red alert 1, age of empire 1 and actually empire earth 1 aswell(tho only when you play vs other people, and both of you arent that good), are all really cool games.

Age of Empires is good. It is pretty awesome over a network as well. I am currently very addicted to Rome: Total War (and the 2 expansion packs) as I try and mend a foolish error I made!

I would recommend Medieval: Total War. The strategic AI is far better than in any of the other Total War games and the tactical AI is also great. I love all the Total War games, but the bugs and glitches in Medieval II and Empire are irritating. Rome is awesome though.

Cool, gonna try one of the total war series(on the last level of dungeon keeper 1 atm). Anyway anyone knows anything about Empire Earth 2 or 3? EE1 was awesome, at least multiplayer, but sucked singleplayer.

• Community Administrator

I can't even play Empire Total War due to the bugs, keeps crashing at random moments for me.

Aye it does that!

Don't know if it qualifies as strategy but it definately requires planning.

X3: Terran Conflict

or

X2

or

X1

Its more of a galactic 'space sim'/'economy sim', so its strategy in one way, just not so much on the war front. ;) Though you can totally do that to.

Archived