DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

under the dust

I'm a bit confused and wondered if anyone could shed some light? Chapter 13 of Lord of Chaos (Under the dust) has the Forsaken icon as the chapter icon, you know the serpent twisting in and out of the square. These chapters always have a Forsaken's POV or maybe their alter-ego or sometimes something may happen that we know one of the Forsaken had a major hand in. Now the chapter in question starts with Nynaeve in Salidar with Theodrin trying to have her block broken, Theodrin tips a bucket of water over Nyn's head lol. We then see Tarna (The Red sister who is the emmisary from the White Tower) paying Nyn a visit trying to convince Nyn to return to the Tower i think. The chapter then ends with Nyn and Elayne entering Tel'aran'rhoid and using "Need" to find the Bowl of Winds in Ebou Dar.          nowhere in the chapter can i find any sign of reference to the Forsaken or any Forsaken spying on the girls in T'a'r so why the Forsaken icon at the start????

She is not, in fact.

This is one of the major things behind the 'Tarna is Mesaana' theory; a theory which was thoroughly debunked in KoD.

We don't know why the serpant heading was used--MMoghedian is referenced in the chapter, though not in a way that would warrent the shapter symbol. Myself, i think it has something to do with the fact that Nynaeve and Elayne when using need to help Rand found themselves in the Tower, in the room were the dagger was kept. That's an oddity that's not been explained yet.

I wonder if it could be because of the storage room for the Bowl, since many Forsaken are looking for it. Moghedien sent Falion and Ispan to look for it, and paid them a visit herself later under the guidance of Moridin, and Sammael was looking for it. Graendal claimed she had no interest in what he was looking for, but I would suspect she might have attempted to have someone follow his searchers to it too. Or is this still too faraway for the symbol, though it would be kind of a pit of vipers as referenced in the chapter, one they only survived and found because of Mat?

This is what the Encyclopaedia site says about this chapter:

This is the only chapter in the series where the twisted snake chapter icon does not clearly relate to activity of the Forsaken. Or does it?

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/books/loc/ch13.html

The memory of Moghedien and/or the importance of the Bowl to the Forsaken might be the most probable reasons for the icon.

A shot in the dark:

Tarna was sendt by the White Tower? The connection would be that she was sendt there on intel from Mesaana. The Forsaken again trying to manipulate the events to their own gain. A Red sister sendt would not mend anything, but rather cause the rift in the tower to grow even greater.

A shot in the dark:

Tarna was sendt by the White Tower? The connection would be that she was sendt there on intel from Mesaana. The Forsaken again trying to manipulate the events to their own gain. A Red sister sendt would not mend anything, but rather cause the rift in the tower to grow even greater.

The sending was in Fires of Heaven by Elaida.  That was long before Alviarin had control of Elaida.

maybe they goofed with the chapter icon and never fixed it in the reprints.

That seems doubtful.  Robert Jordan would have probably told if a chapter icon was wrong; and no site I visited gives an indication of that for this chapter.

Archived