A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Three Women

Who would you prefer for Rand?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer for Rand?

• Min
    • Aviendha
    • Elayne

min, for sure.  i'm of the belief that the ability to channel will be lost in the coming age.  so the life span problem of min and rand (and ny and lan, mor and thom, egwene and gawyne, etc) will be moot.

Are they all supposed to live to another age? Is channeling supposed to just snap out of existence?

min, for sure.  i'm of the belief that the ability to channel will be lost in the coming age.  so the life span problem of min and rand (and ny and lan, mor and thom, egwene and gawyne, etc) will be moot.

Are they all supposed to live to another age? Is channeling supposed to just snap out of existence?

rude.  well, i'm assuming another "age" will begin after the final battle.  ages aren't really real, you know...  it's more or less an invention of hind sight and reflection.  and if you want to split hairs, then even if another age doesn't happen, i still believe that channeling will be gone. 

it's totally implied that randland is our world, right?  and everything goes around, right?  (i'm thinking of the mercedes benz thing in TAR, and the legend of Lenn, who flew to the moon in the belly of a lead whale or something...)  so if that's the case, there will be an age or two where channeling doesn't exist, and is merely a legend or fairy tale.  then the wheel will come around again, someone will discover the talent of channeling (or someone will be spun out who can do it at all), and it will all go over again.  (just slightly different, as i don't think it always happens the exact same.)

i think during the final battle, rand does something that could very well burn every single person out.  a ton of channelers will freak out, and try to stop him, but ultimately go along with the sacrifice of channeling to defeat the great lord.  and that's how he'll infamously be remembered: as the guy who killed channeling, or blinded the world, or something like that. 

i've seen this theory (or variations) floated around, so i'm not the only one who thinks this.  but who knows, i'm usually wrong, ha ha!  i just think the life span thing won't matter, and that rand belongs with min.  :)

ages aren't really real, you know...  it's more or less an invention of hind sight and reflection.
No, it isn't. Not by the rules of the series, at least - real life is a different matter. In this series, time is a Wheel. A really big circle. Things go around again and again, in seven Ages.

it's totally implied that randland is our world, right?
RJ has said that it is.

While channeling will doubtless be lost at some point, in order to be found again, I see no reason to believe that the loss of the Source is imminent. It might happen over the course of the next few centuries, or might have a resurgance in the Fourth Age.

ages aren't really real, you know...  it's more or less an invention of hind sight and reflection.
No, it isn't. Not by the rules of the series, at least - real life is a different matter. In this series, time is a Wheel. A really big circle. Things go around again and again, in seven Ages.

it's totally implied that randland is our world, right?
RJ has said that it is.

While channeling will doubtless be lost at some point, in order to be found again, I see no reason to believe that the loss of the Source is imminent. It might happen over the course of the next few centuries, or might have a resurgance in the Fourth Age.

k.  all i'm saying is that i highly doubt people look at their calendars and say, "by gum we're in a new age!"  i get how the wheel works, k.  seriously.  and i know rj said that, i was referring to how it's implied in the books.  it's never explicitly said in the books, "bastion, this world you're reading about is meant to be yours in another time - notice the similarities to europe! - and you're really atreyu, and i want a better name than moonchild".

i don't get why you're jumping all over my post.  i think the source will be burnt out for an age or two at the end of the series.  might not happen, but i think it will.  you might not see evidence of this, but i do.  geez, i admit i could be wrong in the end, but my interpretation is going to be different from yours or anyone else's.  trying to make me look dumb, when all i was trying to do was say i think min's the best for rand, is kinda mean.  i don't know if i'm going to like these forums if everyone just tries to look really smart by being a condescending jerk to the newbs.

all i'm saying is that i highly doubt people look at their calendars and say, "by gum we're in a new age!"
Which is understandable given the transitions between Agesmight take centuries - look at the Breaking, that ended the AoL and began the Third Age.

i don't get why you're jumping all over my post.
It was there.
you might not see evidence of this
Because there isn't any
i don't know if i'm going to like these forums if everyone just tries to look really smart by being a condescending jerk to the newbs.
Nothing to do with you being new.

We really don't know much about how the One Power was discovered in this turning of the Wheel - it might have been discovered in the beginning of the Age of Legends, for all we know. (If it was, it probably was the catalyst into changing the Age.)

it might have been discovered in the beginning of the Age of Legends, for all we know. (If it was, it probably was the catalyst into changing the Age.)
Its discovery marked the end of the Age before the AoL, and the beginning of the AoL.

I happen to actually really like all three of the characters, but Aviendha gets my vote anyhow. One) There's no disputing how awesome she (and all Aiel) are, Two) Her personality is strong and she's a very powerful woman but she's not over the top, Three) She's not falling all over herself (outwardly anyway) for him, and on a side not, I'm a proponent for redheads having children with because there are not nearly enough redheads in the world. ;) Though technically, Elayne -is- a redhead.. but Aviendha is moreso redheaded.

She grew up surrounded by wealth and command, but didn't turn into a little chit like 90% of the noble women that we meet.

Wrong.

Besides, anyone that survived Lini growing up deserves admiration.  :) 

Except Elayne.

Definitely Elayne she's the prettiest and most sensible.

The former wouldn't happen to influence the latter, would it?

I voted Elayne, simple choice because after TG shes still the queeen of andor, so no work for rand to do, just sit back and enjoy the benefits of the finer life and become a bum after all his world saving efforts.........easy :D

That's the only thing I see going for Elayne.

Voted Min.  But Avi could be a good choice too since she kicks total ass.  In any case, Rand may have to eventually face this choice:

[LOC: 19, Matters of Toh, 312]

"Melaine and Bair dreamed of you [Rand] on a boat with three women whose faces they could not see and a scale tilting first one way and then the other.

Just throwing it out there.  The scale could refer to a choice by Rand or a choice by the three women.

Archived