DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Movie] Star Trek - Spoilerific thread

Barmacral

So, because I'm made of awesome and am better than all of you, I went with Raena tonight and saw Star Trek in theatres. Yes, I am fully aware that it opens tomorrow, just thought I'd rub it in.

Anyways, here's my take on it:

Amazing, I loved it, and Raena thinks it's the best thing since me (and Canada, but she's loath to admit it).

Spock: Quinto got it right, Spock was exactly what I expected, and his ability to show emotion only when he wanted it to was awesome. Plus, he got the hottie. Suck on that Kirk.

Scottie: Favourite character probably helps that my man-crush is on that actor already (Hot Fuzz / Shawn of the Dead = hole in the middle of the disc had to be made larger for appropriate humping). He was hilarious and added a nice comedic touch to the film that none of the characters quite had.

Both Scottie and McCoy played off of Kirk beautifully for the humourous effect, the two combo's (Kirk / scottie & kirk / mccoy) were quite entertaining, though I'd have enjoyed some Scottie / McCoy interplay as well.

Kirk was entertaining, but in himself he wasn't really my favourite character. I think most of his value came from how well he played off of others, but on his own he was kinda eh.

The Russian guy (I wonder if Far has met him) had a hilarious accent, which made him thoroughly entertaining, and whatshisface, the pilot (sulu) had his moments too. Both were kinda in the background of the show though, as the others took the spotlight.

I liked the story, as it focused more on developing the characters than on the fighting plot. It was also a very fast paced movie, compared to what one normally gets from Star Trek.

Oh yes, and Raena wants to add that Kirk made a very ugly child.

I liked it, didn't love it.

The characters were great and spot on.  My only complaint was the constant nods to the series. 

The story was ok.  I hate they used the whole "the trainees suddenly run the show" routine.  I mean how original was it for all the real starfleet was somewhere else and they needed the trainees to get on the ships.  Then everyone died or someone understood the vulcan language and they are put in charge.  It also felt like I was watching Nemesis again with the Romulians and their ship.  And the Star Wars Hoth scene didn't need to be there.

Yeah so I am picky.  It was a very entertaining movie.  I really look forward to see the next one where the characters can grow. 

It was quite Awesome.

I'll give Emp those points, but still AWESOME.

Kirk was great, McCoy was great, Scottie was awesome, after I got over Sulu being Harold (from Harold and Kumar) he was great, and the Russian kid's accent was hilarious. Of course, my one and only celebrity crush Zach Quinto( or ZQ) was KILLERRRRRRRRRR. He's phenomenal at whatever role he plays!

I was disappointed though because they showed Spock and the chick having a hook up scene in the previews and that wasn't in the the movie ... I wanted ZQ shirtless (at the minimum!).

• Community Administrator

It was alright, I still like the previous star trek movies better. Yes, even Nemesis. (You just can't beat Data)

Its definately a 'summer' movie, plots are 'meh' full of action and cleaveage. But at least it had some comedy in it. ;)

Anyone else hoping they use this new cast for a 'series' on nbc? :P

Just got back, and this movie was made of awesome. I did feel a little beat down by the end by the relentless pacing - this movie never gives you time to get a grasp on it - but I think that was the point, to get away from the stigma associated with a lot of people standing around going "Hmm". I also agree with Empy on his points, though I'm a little less forgiving of the conveniently absent fleet (what the heck were they all up to, anyway?) than the useless-though-enjoyable action scene on Delta Vega.

So, because I'm made of awesome and am better than all of you

Disputed, disputed, and disputed!  ;D

The film was enjoyable, but you do need to switch off the plot logic part of higher brain function and just focus on the emotional journey. The character stuff was awesome, the plot not so much. The shaky camera style was fricking annoying, and I speak as someone who enjoyed Cloverfield.

It was a solid two hours' entertainment. Just don't look for the Second Coming of the Movie God.

I am glad to see others that don't just love it completely. 

I totally agree with the absent fleet.  You would think maybe the Enterprise would have been able to send some message at some point to the fleet to get back to the defenseless Earth.  I mean really... Vulcan gets canned and the fleet doesn't think that Earth might be a target? 

And maybe I don't know much about Black Holes but it seems they weren't that deadly.  "Oh I am sinking inside the black hole but the Enterprise needs to fire on me to finish me off.  The large gravity field didn't seem to do the trick"  Or... "Look old Spock, you can see Vulcan turning into a new black hole from your neighboring planet which seems unaffected by the new gravitational pull."

I would love to see a new show though.  Now that the movie has developed a new alternate reality, I look forward to see how the characters develop.

I am never in love with a movie so much that I can't poke at things in it. F'r instance, as much as I liked that the Romulans didn't actually intend to go back in time (and can sort of forgive how they didn't appear to have, you know, aged), I do have to wonder what they were doing for twenty-five years. I mean, if they're parked on that spot waiting for Spock to show up, how is it nobody ever sees the Narada again until then? Did the Empire install cloaking devices on even their mining vessels? Didn't they ever have to replenish their supplies? Fridge logic.

Also, and this is one of those things that makes me hate time travel in general, I hated that Old Spock gives Scotty the transporter formula that he's supposed to figure out on his own in the future. I'm sure Slartibartfast would agree with me.

And they make a point of saying "alternate reality" in the film, but isn't this just writing over the preestablished history and saying "Okay, now this never happened"?

Not just that, but the ship was a mining vessel that was sucked into the time warp.  Since when do mining vessels carry advanced weaponry?

Well the drill was obviously used for mining purposes.

I can see the missles having duo purposes, I mean you did see how those things looked right? Coulda been used to bust up astroids.

+ Even the scientific Federation space ships carry the standard weaponry, so that it can defends its self. (The enterprise, which is a reasearch & scout like vessel has advanced weaponry)

So, its no suprise that the romulans would have advanced weaponry on a mining vessle, hell it could have been standard, it WAS 198 years in the future, which could be welll past Voyager, and we don't know what hte romulans have technilogically then. Really, the weaponry on the mining vessle is the 'least' of the 'zomg that makes no sense!'.

Like, if 1 drop can destroy volcan, but not the remaining planets, that entire big orb should have created a black hole... roughly what, 100000x larger? Time travel through black hole? No, you'd get crushed.

Wheres the federations fleet?

Perhaps that WAS there fleet that got destroyed over by vulcan? 5-6 ships or so, there other 'fleets' were off somewhere else probably fighting klingons, or protecting there 'borders'.

Loved it! The characterizations were spot on, in my opinion--though the actors in the fan-produced episodes of TOS available online nail the characters even better. Anyway, good immersive reality, character agreement with established canon and non-canon Trek expanded universe (i.e. Kirk being a badass when he was a kid), and plenty of eye candy.

BUT

The whole thing felt to me like an AU fanfic. Sorta kinda almost Star Trek... but not really.

Good thing I like fanfic.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/695426/What-NOW-For-Star-Trek-Warning-Full-Of-Spoilers.html

Okay folks, let's forget the fact that Star Trek has left us with a newly-defined universe where Spock's mother, Amanda is dead (Sorry "Journey to Babel" fans,) and the entire planet of Vulcan went the way of Alderaan, being completely destroyed (the Death Star is innocent here, folks.) We can also forget the fact that the Enterprise's command crew consists of cadets who seemingly didn't even go through the full 4 years of the Academy. And finally, we can forget the fact that a cadet (Kirk) who was ready to face a disciplinary board for cheating on a test, can stow-away on a mission on the fleet's flagship, and soon find himself CAPTAIN OF THE SHIP, without even (as far as we know) graduating from the f***ing Academy. (If that's the way the world worked, then I should have enlisted in the Navy 4 years ago. By now, I'd be "Super-Grand-Moff-Admiral Baxter: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.") However, I'm willing to overlook ALL of these inconsistencies (which is not just canonical "Trekkie" nitpicking, but real-life inconsistencies.) Why? Because the movie kicked ass. Pure and simple. It delivered plenty of spectacular action that was well-paced, and worked well with the dramatic aspects of the film.

I'm not here to review the movie, though. I'm pretty sure most of us have seen it, so there is not much more that needs to be said. I'm here to jump the gun and talk about a new Star Trek II. Because, let's face it, seeing how this weekend is shaping up, we know it's coming. I'm going to indulge myself and lay down some expectations that I have for the inevitable next installment of this rejuvenated Star Trek franchise.

One word, one syllable, held for for a long time: Khaaaaaaan!

You might be asking yourself, "uh...Khan was in 1982's Star Trek II, which takes place way later in history, right?" And you would be correct in that observation. However, let's set the scenario, here. Star Trek is now (roughly) at a point in time where the original television show took place. What that means, is that the director and producers have a treasure-trove of three seasons full of iconic episodes to pick up and adapt into a big-screen epic. An episode that especially comes to mind, is "Space Seed." Of course, as hardcore fans know, "Space Seed" is the episode of the original series where the Enterprise crew actually find the iconic Star Trek badass, Khan Noonien Singh and his crew of genetically-altered acolytes, who have been hibernating, floating in space in some ancient "20th Century Spacecraft." Well, they manage to wake Khan up, and greet him with hospitality, only to have that met with a hijacking attempt. A female Enterprise crew member goes all Stockholm, becomes Khan's lover, and all hell breaks loose. Of course Kirk, Spock, and the gang weren't going to stand for that s**t, and they fight back (amid a slew of Vulcan neck pinches, and painfully obvious stunt double fights, galore.) Kirk eventually regains control, and chooses to be merciful, marooning Khan, his people, and the traitorous hussy on the Planet Ceti Alpha V. (Of course, anyone who has seen Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan knows what happened after that.)

Essentially, my proposal, is NOT to do "Wrath of Khan," but rather, the original series episode, "Space Seed." While there is so much that can be utilized here, the primary goal should be to make the implications of the events of the episode, much bigger.

Besides continuing the chemistry-building between the Enterprise crew (Something I doubt they would forget), they need to make the finding of Khan to be an event that people back on Earth hear about, and something that raises some moral questions. The entire Starfleet circle needs to be in-the-know of this discovery of ancient, genetically-enhanced people from Earth. (Who obviously should be revamped as to come from a date LATER than the "1990's.")

Whoever they get to play Khan, besides being able to pull off a cool Latin accent, needs to be a bit older. (And Antonio Banderas is too old, btw.) I know that Khan is actually supposed to be of Indian descent, but come on, how can you see Khan any other way? He needs to have that on-screen presence that Ricardo Montalbán possesed, that made him seem not only larger-than-life, but also as someone who presents a civil smile, while knowing he could snap your neck in half of a second. He also absolutely must be able play off Kirk well. In fact, in some way, he needs to parallel Kirk, perhaps forcing him to look inside himself, to see something he may not like. (The whole "dead father" thing would also be a nice nerve Khan could play.)

They shouldn't be afraid to integrate elements of Wrath of Khan, to better suit this movie. We could have him hijacking other Federation ships, attacking Klingons and Romulans, creating an inter-stellar diplomatic incident. Basically, I want to see Khan start to actually carry-out his plan to conquer the universe with his "superior ambition." For the sake of the dramatics of the film, he should come pretty damn close to actually closing that deal. Because, again, they need to take the elements "Space Seed" and spread the implications to the "entire universe."

Help us understand the motives of "Ship Historian" Marla McGivers (aka "Traitorous Hussy.") Her attraction to Khan could become a metaphor for the overall ambitions of man to better him/herself. In essence, it would mean that Khan and his people are an unfortunate glimpse into the depth of the human will and its desire to dominate all that it finds. (Calling Nietzsche.)

Lastly, throw the fanboys some bones and give us some other recurring Star Trek characters and integrate them into the inter-personal play between the characters. (Don't you want to see a new Yeoman Rand running around in that mini-skirt? Maybe a new Nurse Chapel could start making Uhura jealous with her usually unsubtle advances toward Spock?)

As for travelling through time via black hole (assuming what the Red Matter makes is a black hole in the same sense as science currently understands them and not just a similar phenomenon), in Sphere (the book, not the crappy movie) it's postulated that hitting the event horizon and not the actual gravity well might have that effect. don't ask me, I said time travel isn't my bag.

I don't know about the rest of what that guy Empy quoted had to say, but I'm pretty sure Chapel was already in the movie, even if her name was just a quick throwaway.

For some reason I keep getting a laugh out of Eric Bana's delivery of "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero" as if he's about to follow it up with "I'll be your server for this evening..."  :D

Anyone else notice how they totally botched Romulans? I mean, he looks human with crazy tattoes! Not a distant cousin to Vulcans who left Vulcan and created there own society! Everyone knows, Vulcans are Yellow, and pointy eared, and Romulans are more yellow pointy eared, and more angry!

They had pointy ears, it's just that one of Nero's was bitten off or something. The scar wraps around the back of his head a bit and they linger the camera on it a few times. Otherwise his crew all have the usual ears, though not the ridged forehead of the TNG Romulans.

I loved it!! It was better than expected even, and I very much agree about ZQ, he was amazing as Spock. I think it might even be worth a second view! However, I do agree with thevarious comments about the logics, but I dont really care, cause well, its Star Trek, and I still love it.

http://www.cracked.com/article_17317_star-treks-6-most-ridiculous-alien-races.html

I have to admit tho, I'm glad they didnt put any of these races in there  :P

I just saw it and for a non-Trekkie like me it was fantastic.

The red mass didn't create black holes it created singularities.  If it created a black hole then everyone would be screwed because the grow larger over time, the don't just disappear after one use.

I just saw it and for a non-Trekkie like me it was fantastic.

The red mass didn't create black holes it created singularities.  If it created a black hole then everyone would be screwed because the grow larger over time, the don't just disappear after one use.

A black hole is a singularity. ;)

The mass of the black hole never increases, the only thing that increases in side, is the matter trapped outside of it. ;)

Archived