DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How life was in the AoL

Builder

I always imagined the AoL as something like our times technology wise, probably a ways beyond even, but amplified by the OP and an age of peace/prosperity.  They have a form of lightbulb, dangerous to break but it never burns out..., airplanes, cars, guns, huge cities, and don't forget fancloth...

And the cake is always a lie........

How would the airplanes look like?

What would the cars be fueled by?

What kind of guns?

Huge cities as London and New York? How wealthy would those cities be, and how much is that wealth be distributed?

What the hell is fancloth??

The cake is definitely a lie.

It's. apparent that you dont, know where to put your' punctuation (is it called that?).

Also you're being a troll... With mushrooms on your nose.

Wow chill, over sensitive much?

Anyways its widely considered that the first age was our age and that it possibly ended with the discovery of channeling which leads us into the second age aka the age of legends. We dont know alot of details but it was supposed to be an utopian society with little or no crime. Fancloth is what is in the warder cloakes, camoflague sort of thing, only better. The AoL society started to deteriorate when Lanfear (Cant remember her original name) led a team of excavators to drill a hole in shayol ghul to discover a power that could be used by both men and women. It is later known that this was Shayol Ghul and the power she was searching for was in fact the True Power. After the Bore was created it took a couple of hundred years of increasing crime, conflict etc. until Ishamael swore to the shadow infront of the entire hall of servants (The ruling body of Aes Sedai) and the war of the shadow began.

Their weapons was something called shock lances, you can guess yourself what that was. And wealth wasnt anything admired in AoL, as material wealth was easy to come by, it was social status that mattered. Aes Sedai had no direct power by being Aes Sedai but they had status and influence, even more so if you sat in the hall of servants. Also it was called the hall of servants because the word Aes Sedai means Servants of all.

That good enough?

(Hollow ... don't take Builder seriously ... he has a warped sense of humor but I promise you he wasn't mad.)

The airplanes looked like giant flying stingrays.

The cars were fueled by love and rainbows.

The guns were Pez dispensers until the war at which point they got mean.

Huge cities like Mexico City and Shanghai.  They are super-rich, as rich as if you were playing SimCity and just left it on all night to make money.  The wealth was all put in my bank account.  I mean the Temple of the Creator.

Fancloth is what the Terrible Towels are.

Cake isn't a lie.  Its a deception that manages not to break the First Oath.

I picture them as being space agey.  Curvy, aerodynamic with big turbines on the back that are powered with the Power.  Turbines because a big fan on the back would look cool... The Power because "standing lines" have been mentioned and I assume they meant they made the Power available to everyone.

What kind of guns?

They would only have had weapons of any significance at the begining of the end... Before that, they played with swords, one of the Forsaken brings it up. But after the war started: Plasma cannons.  I picture that being whet a shocklance would compae to... If energy isn't a problem, why not have the best?

Huge cities as London and New York? How wealthy would those cities be, and how much is that wealth be distributed?

I got the impression from Rand's experience in those columns that the cities were big.  Also I think he dreams of big cities (I can't remember which book).  The cities were also cleaner.  With the Power, pollution wouldn't be such a big problem.  

Wealth is relative.  The quality of life was definately better.  It was cleaner and seemed to me to be more communal than capitalistic. The most powerful(meaning most able to do amazing things and influence stuff) people were known as "servants to all" and the seed singing or food production was a community event.  Prestige probably was determined by who was most helpful to the world, as seen by Semirhage and her healing.  I don't think that there were homeless people.(If public service brings prestige and mental illness can be cured, then people wouldn't have been left to live lke animals.)

I think that all people had what they needed, but I'm not sure how luxury items would be distributed.   But they had books that wrote in the air and fancy music boxes that remind me of Ipods, they had things similar to phones.  The list goes on, if a person could imagine it, they would have tried to make it...

The cities would also have had beautiful achitecture, look at Tar Valon and Camelyn and White Bridge built after the world fell apart, not sure when White Bridge was built.  Aes Sedai with all the knowledge and men and women working together they could have made truly amazing buildings.  The Stone is a example of the possibilities.

I doubt that they had ugly prefabs.

The fabric that warders cloaks are made of.  And don't forget strieth(sp?), that's the fabric that changes with your mood.

Forget cake they had Cheetos!!!

I picture them as being space agey.  Curvy, aerodynamic with big turbines on the back that are powered with the Power.  Turbines because a big fan on the back would look cool... The Power because "standing lines" have been mentioned and I assume they meant they made the Power available to everyone.

What kind of guns?

They would only have had weapons of any significance at the begining of the end... Before that, they played with swords, one of the Forsaken brings it up. But after the war started: Plasma cannons.  I picture that being whet a shocklance would compae to... If energy isn't a problem, why not have the best?

I got the impression from Rand's experience in those columns that the cities were big.  Also I think he dreams of big cities (I can't remember which book).  The cities were also cleaner.  With the Power, pollution wouldn't be such a big problem.  

Wealth is relative.  The quality of life was definately better.  It was cleaner and seemed to me to be more communal than capitalistic. The most powerful(meaning most able to do amazing things and influence stuff) people were known as "servants to all" and the seed singing or food production was a community event.  Prestige probably was determined by who was most helpful to the world, as seen by Semirhage and her healing.  I don't think that there were homeless people.(If public service brings prestige and mental illness can be cured, then people wouldn't have been left to live lke animals.)

I think that all people had what they needed, but I'm not sure how luxury items would be distributed.   But they had books that wrote in the air and fancy music boxes that remind me of Ipods, they had things similar to phones.  The list goes on, if a person could imagine it, they would have tried to make it...

The cities would also have had beautiful achitecture, look at Tar Valon and Camelyn and White Bridge built after the world fell apart, not sure when White Bridge was built.  Aes Sedai with all the knowledge and men and women working together they could have made truly amazing buildings.  The Stone is a example of the possibilities.

I doubt that they had ugly prefabs.

The fabric that warders cloaks are made of.  And don't forget strieth(sp?), that's the fabric that changes with your mood.

Forget cake they had Cheetos!!!

Its been speculated that whiteridge is a remnant of the city Tzora which was razed and melted to the ground by a madman channeling during the breaking, all that was left was a large sheet of glass, perhaps what is known as whitebridge in the series.

The second biggest city of the Age of Legends. Was destroyed by Jaric Mondoran when he went insane. The buildings all melded together from the heat only leaving behind a huge sheet of glass which is where Whitebridge possibly stands today.

Just to elaborate on what the previous poster said.

On Jaric Mondoran.

"An Aes Sedai male from the time of the Age of Legends. While he was insane he killed ten thousand Da'shain Aiel who had linked arms infront of Tzora looking puzzled the whole time. He then destroyed the entire city afterwards."

Sounds niiice..

Very nice.

We are being very serious here. Isn't this a forum which has adults and not children for the most part?

Basically, they had a great time in the first Age, but then discovered the Power and it all just got even better. Damn, it's just gotta come down. I mean, it's just too good to be true, and too good to last forever  :D

I know Lanfear didn't really mean to spread the Shadow, but she did unknowingly start it all. Must suck to know that you're the one who f****d it all up.

Back on topic. How did the people act? I guess they were friendly because they didn't have to worry if they would get food or shelter. Hmm, that looks eerily a lot like that Zeitgeist movie where a guy talks about how the world would be a lot better if everyone turned from the monetary system that were currently in, to a resource based system where we build houses of titanium so that they would never break and etc. etc.

Then comes the third Age which is just so f****d up that you wouldn't believe it. People are so smart that they don't think of anything else other than getting rich or die tryin'. Nice mentality, but it isn't very good for humanity.

Again, back on topic. If they are so advanced, then how did they phail miserably in defeating trollocs that are no smarter than pigs and other lower animals. I want more intel on the shock lance.

Well.. You could assume trollocs had shocklances aswell, seeing as Sammael complained he couldnt arm his third age army with shocklances. And ofc they had 6 Gholam, Fades, Darkfriends. 13 of the strongest channelers alive + many weaker ones. Trollocs being mas produced greatly outnumbering humans etc etc.

Rand's flashback scenes in the TSR provide a very descriptive picture of what the AoL was like in his series of backwards flashbacks.

The BWB (Big White Book,) also provides a pretty clear picture of AoL.

That is probably why you have gotten such silly answers, becasue the real ones are there for anyone who wants to read them.

Rand's flashback scenes in the TSR provide a very descriptive picture of what the AoL was like in his series of backwards flashbacks.

The BWB (Big White Book,) also provides a pretty clear picture of AoL.

That is probably why you have gotten such silly answers, becasue the real ones are there for anyone who wants to read them.

Not fair, I've been totally honest all the time :P

The AoL society started to deteriorate when Lanfear (Cant remember her original name) led a team of excavators to drill a hole in shayol ghul to discover a power that could be used by both men and women.
Not quite. Beidomon and Mierin led a team to harness a new Source of the OP, which led thewm to drill the Bore. This was not drilled in Shayol Ghul, it was a hole in reality, and it exists everywhere. Shayol Ghul is simply the location of a thinness in the Pattern that allows the Bore to be felt more easily there.

That good enough?
Not quite.

However if trollocs have shock lances, I would like to have them better explained. Is it like the AK 47, or just a stick with electricity running through it?
Directed energy weapon. Laser gun.

Well.. You could assume trollocs had shocklances aswell, seeing as Sammael complained he couldnt arm his third age army with shocklances. And ofc they had 6 Gholam, Fades, Darkfriends. 13 of the strongest channelers alive + many weaker ones. Trollocs being mass produced greatly outnumbering humans etc etc.
They had Darkfriend armies as well, and a  lot more than just 13 of the strongest channelers alive. There were a hell of a lot of Chosen, and many of them were very strong.

Yes but im fairly sure we know that the 13 main chosen were the 13 most powerful channelers apart from LTT, could be wrong tho. And I was sure that where they drilled was what would be Shayol Ghul, if it wasnt I was just wrong :) Also they were searching for a power of sorts that both sexes could use.

Yes they were. They found something different though...

However my question still stands. The strategy part...

EDIT: I came up with more on the original question. What kind of devices did the people have in the AoL? Did they have refrigerators, stoves and microwave ovens? I want to expand on that.

Archived