DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Guild of Blades summons Demonspawn

DeathDealer

Blademaster Grim stood between Blademasters Achelous and Avermind atop a flat topped mountain.  The only things that were atop this mountain, besides the small group, was a rock that looked more like a table with a wooden box sitting on the rock.  Grim had found this mountain, but wasn’t sure how it had come to be.  The mountain seemed as though it had been flattened by a large axe swung by the Creator Himself.  If it hadn’t been done by the Power, it would have taken hundreds of men years to carve the rock as flat as it was.  Whatever the reason, whatever the method of making it, this place had served Grim’s purposes perfectly. 

Along with the three Blademasters, there stood a fourth soldier, Demonspawn.  Unlike the Blademasters, who were suited in the black plate armor and red-lined, black cloaks of the Blademasters, Demon wore only the dress uniform of the Band of the Red Hand’s Infantry Officers.  He stood facing the three, who stood in front of the stone table.  It was late morning, almost noon, but sight was very limited.  As they stood there, a very potent blizzard was forming, and the snow that was falling was beginning to blanket the mountain top, even though it had only started within the last thirty minutes.  The four men stood in the snow patiently until other Banders began to crest the rim of the mountain top.  They were led by the other Blademasters in the Infantry.  Blademasters Bellona, Rhian, and Galadriel led every available Infantry soldier and a fair number of other Banders up the mountain side.  Only Blademasters Aislinnis and Dracarys were unable to attend this ceremony.  The three Blademasters joined the other three at the stone table while the rest of the Band members in attendance stood in a semi-circle around the mountain top.  Finally, Grim speaks in a commanding voice that carries through the snow and across the valley that this mountain overlooks.  The only thing visible of the Band’s camp, far below, is the snow blurred spots of orange light made by cook fires.  Yet, even at that distance, Grim’s voice could be heard.

The Guild of Blades summons Demonspawn this day.  I ask that all present please hold their comments until the completion of this ceremony.

Standing in his finest uniform, Demon waited before the assembled Blademasters and fellow Band Members. Although he gave the impression of being calm, his stomach felt like it was turning somersaults.

The snow that beat down went unnoticed, as did the numerous cuts and nicks that he earned during his rigorous,but ultimately rewarding, testing procedure. The sun was approaching its noon peak as Blademaster Grim, showing no signs of their earlier spar, announced that the ceremony had begun, and called forth Demon...

"I stand ready for what is to come Blademaster"

Again, Grim spoke in a carrying voice.

Demonspawn, you have come before the Guild of Blades to receive the title of Blademaster! Before you receive this I charge you with four duties: Guard the Band and its ideals, guard the principles of the Blademasters and our traditions, guard your fellow soldiers and their lives, and finally, guard the innocent as if their lives were your own until strength is gone, until blade is dull, until your life is lost. If you are willing, kneel and pledge that you accept these duties of a Blademaster.

Demon knelt before Blademaster Grim with one hand over his heart and spoke his oath.

I accept these duties and I will swear to protect and honour my brothers and sisters and the innocent even should it lead to my own death first. I will uphold and hope to do justice to the principles and traditions of the Blademasters and to the Band of the Red Hand.

Moving towards a table that had an array of instruments upon it, Blademaster Bellona turned to Demon and asked for him to bring Freya and Freyr to her.

Demon smoothly unsheathed his blades and handed them over. Taking them from him, Blademaster Bellona took each one in turn and placed a small heart-stone stamp in the centre of the blade near the hilt. With one sharp tap of a small mallet, a blinding flash lit up the mountain top. Deftly Bellona turned the blade over and did the same. Pleased with the results she handed the blades back to Demon.

Taking them back, Demon could see a heron mark on each of his blades, a faint glow dissipating as he watched.

Your blades now carry the heron mark of a Blademaster. May they be your protection in the battles to come and serve as a warning to all that oppose you.

Nodding towards Blademaster Avermind, Bellona stepped back and shot a grin at Demon before continuing.

Blademaster Avermind will now continue the ceremony.

Blademaster Avermind stepped forward and spoke in a clear, strong voice which will be carried down the valley and over the montains, through the snow and icy-cold air.

Demon, with a great pleasure and honour I present you with the Blademaster Pin! Wear with pride and remember that this is a symbol of the oaths you have taken and duties you have to fulfill. This pin is one of three items that mark you as a Blademaster, but true mark of the Blademaster lies in your heart and deeds!

Blademaster Avermind fastened the pin on Demon's collar, smiled and shaked his hand. Then he stepped back making place for the next Blademaster to come.

Blademaster Achelous stood to the side, standing tall as he watched the proceedings of a rare occasion. Turning around to the stone table, Achelous turned to again face Demonspawn, but this time he had a bundle in his hands. Soft black fabric was bound into a small package. Holding it in front of him, Achelous spoke.

Demonspawn, I present to you your own Cloak of the Blademaster.

Achelous pulled the bindings, and in one swift movement, the sleek cloak unfurled majestically and billowed in the cave's slight breeze. Stepping forward, Achelous moved it around Demonspawn's shoulders and attached the cloak at his shoulder guards. Returning to his original position, Achelous spoke again.

Demonspawn, you have come before the Guild of Blades an apprentice, but you stand before us now a master. You have sworn an oath, and you have been given the public markings of a Blademaster. There is but one last thing yet for you to do. Demonspawn, it is time for you to declare your new name. You will always be Demonspawn, but in symbolising the changes and advancements you have made toward this remarkable feat, you will choose a Blademaster name, a name which bears great importance to you and will long represent your good character, skill, and devotion to all that you are sworn to protect.

Demonspawn, declare your name.

Well Sirius at any rate....

The Auld Pirate unsheathes his cutlass in a blur of motion faster than the un-aided eye could follow. Faster than could his hand too, whereupon he fumbled the hilt and trying to re-grip he hacked off several fingers ...... of Charmin' Gnarly his blind erstwhile steward. "I got it.. NO, I got it... I gaaaaah! Gnarly!! ya clumsy gaff handed... errr.. spike handed git! Look what ya've had me do, now pick those up and be off with yer no seein' self.. And stop that catterwallin'! Is there a' unoccupied Aes Sedai about who could maybe glue those back on for im'?!.. E's got a silver coffee service to polish!!"

Congratulations Brother on a fine bit o' work. I knew ya' could bloody well do it. I didn't care what Footy and Tay said.  ::) From an inside pocket of his Second Best Blue/Black coat he pulls a beat to death silver hip flask and presents it to Demon. "This is for you brother. Which it's yer' very own Beat Up Ol' Flask what ya' can fill with whatever blows yer' skirt up. It won't ever be empty once ya've filled it either... Well not often anyway" ;)

Blademaster Galadriel stood silently throughout the entire ceremony, flanking her fellow BM's, a jab of pride jolting through her at every passing second. Never would she become accustomed to the owerpowering feeling that always overwhelmed her during these events. Overlooking the Infants standing in formation as a well oiled machine, ready to spring to action at any moment, she once again thanked the Light for being part of such a fabulous group of people. She knew what discipline, hardship and challenges they had and were facing. She'd been through it all herself. And each and every one of them filled her with a personal pride.

Today one Infant in particular filled her mind, however. Demonspawn, the mischievous lad with the twinkle in his eyes that's always up to no good it seems. A more than good match for her own bonded, not to mention a horseloving pirate and her very own sisters. A fine example of her idea of a prime Infant indeed, this one was. Myst couldn't be happier today if it was her own ceremony. She cast a look over at Grim, remembering that long ago day when she joined the ranks of the BM's and they bonded as Aes Sedai and Warder. His pride and joy for this new Blademaster mixed with her own and threatened to overwhelm her statuesque posture. Taking a firm grip on herself, she let out a smile and stepped forward.

Congratulations, Blademaster Dagur! Long have we foreseen this day and it is finally here. I am honored and proud to have you join our ranks! Very well deserved! Fine blades you have chosen indeed. May they forever strike fear in your enemies and hope in those they will defend. Just... don't start stabbing ya'self in the foot just for the heck of it, will ya'? *eyes Grim*  ;)

TO BLADEMASTER DAGUR! *raises her stein and gulps down the Guinny in one go*

Thank you all  ;D It makes this even more special when you guys all say nice stuff  ;D I'm not so sure I deserve half of them but there you go.

Everything I have ever done while being in the Band has been an absolute pleasure and an honour. To have the fortune to be Banded to the Guys I am Banded to is an Honour in itself. And as for the fact that I am now Blademaster to boot... Jeez.... It's a wee bit overwhelming... So I'll stop prattling on now and get to what I do best... Guzzling brew

And thanks for me flask bro!Sweeee-eeet!!

Archived