DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

HBO Officially Greenlights George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones as a TV pilot

Werthead

After almost two years of work on the opening scripts, HBO has officially greenlighted production of a pilot for their 12-episode adaption of A Game of Thrones, the first volume of George RR Martin's internationally-bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire fantasy series.

George RR Martin will serve as a producer, although he will take a hands-off approach as he works on the final two-and-a-bit novels in the book series. He has an option of writing one episode per season, which he may or may not exercise depending on how work on the books go. With the fifth volume, A Dance with Dragons, nearing completion it is likely IMO he will pen an episode of A Game of Thrones at least.

The series showrunners will be David Benioff and DB Weiss. Benioff - who wrote the initial script for the Wolverine movie - is currently regarded as one of the hottest writers in Hollywood. Benioff and Weiss will script all of the other episodes and according to GRRM himself, they will be very faithful to the books (i.e., no introduction of superfluous new characters or making each episode stand-alone for no reason).

At the moment HBO has comissioned a pilot, which they are co-funding with the BBC (the BBC and HBO's previous joint projects were the excellent Rome and the superlative Band of Brothers). The pilot will likely be filmed in Eastern Europe, Ireland or New Zealand (although after a recent flurry of movies and series being made in NZ, HBO are apparently not as keen on it as they once were). No word on casting just yet.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roy Dotrice, who has been friends with GRRM since they worked on Beauty and the Beast together (yup, GRRM is partially responsible for introducing Ron Perlman to the world), has been informed :) He's a fan of the books and did the audio readings of the first three volumes.

He's 85 now, so he's probably not up to anything too rigorous, but I'd mark him down as a possible Walder Frey or Maester Aemon.

Brad Pitt as Jaemie

Angelina Jolie as Cersei heheh

complete unknowns for the entire wolf offspring, save the mom and dad:

Nicole Kidman as Kaethryn

Liam Neeson as erm, the dad, what's his name... :P

Someone superb for Tyrion. Not dany de vito :P

Ah, that makes me feel good

But yeah, in my head I always imagined Cersei as Tilda Swinton, and Jaime as Basch from final fantasy XII (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/jessomatickilla/basch-headercopy.png)

Does that make sense? They don't look that much like each other, come to think of it. And the latter isn't an actor. But heck, that's my $0,02.

I thought about Nicole Kidman as Cersei too, but she's a bit too old to play Cersei.

That chick from American beauty, the black haired one, she'd make a cool Daenerys I think. Also, another chick from Donie darko, she could play Dae as well.

I've been hearing about this since before the Writer's strike, but knowing it's officially been greenlighted makes me so happy that I'm bouncing in my chair and I have a huge smile on my face :D I do hope they get mostly fresh actors in there, with a few well known actors. I just hope they don't massacre it...definitely interested in seeing Tyrion the most lol and can't wait to see who they pick for Jon, too.

Archived