DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is the Best Ruler??

sillyman

I think we should clarify something.

A leader and a ruler are two different things in my opinion, and it's not just the scale.

A leader is s person who inspires loyalty and devotion, and makes people want to follow them.  Like Mat Cauthon.

A ruler is a person (or persons) responsible for managing an entire nation (or multiple nations in the case of an empire).  Being a good leader is not a prerequisite for being a good manager; it can help but it's not necessary.

After nearly a quarter century of military service, I've seen some excellent leaders that couldn't manage a latrine detail, and I've seen some people who couldn't inspire loyalty in the most brain-washed, sycophantic, obsequious zombie that could manage billions of dollars in resources flawlessly.

Sadly, it's a rare individual who can do both, and sometimes being a manager requires you to do things (or not do things) that are in direct contravention of things one would do as a leader.  It's a razor-fine line and it's difficult to try to walk it.

So, with that definition in mind, I believe the Seanchan Empress (may she live forever) would probably be the best ruler to date in the series.  Even though she's dead now.  :(

I think we should clarify something.

A leader and a ruler are two different things in my opinion, and it's not just the scale.

A leader is s person who inspires loyalty and devotion, and makes people want to follow them.  Like Mat Cauthon.

A ruler is a person (or persons) responsible for managing an entire nation (or multiple nations in the case of an empire).  Being a good leader is not a prerequisite for being a good manager; it can help but it's not necessary.

After nearly a quarter century of military service, I've seen some excellent leaders that couldn't manage a latrine detail, and I've seen some people who couldn't inspire loyalty in the most brain-washed, sycophantic, obsequious zombie that could manage billions of dollars in resources flawlessly.

Sadly, it's a rare individual who can do both, and sometimes being a manager requires you to do things (or not do things) that are in direct contravention of things one would do as a leader.  It's a razor-fine line and it's difficult to try to walk it.

So, with that definition in mind, I believe the Seanchan Empress (may she live forever) would probably be the best ruler to date in the series.  Even though she's dead now.  :(

And that is why we have ministers, or at least in some countries, I don't know about the US.

Out of all of the "ruler" characters in the series who are presently "on the throne"/actively ruling, NONE of them come to mind as being "The Best".  If I had to choose, it would be one of the borderlanders, but they're all with the really big army outside Camelyn.  I think the Lord of Chaos is ruling right now.

Lord of Chaos was the title the Dark One gave to Rand.

Unless that title was switched to someone else, you are saying that Rand is ruling.

I always thought the Lord of Chaos was the Dark One?!?

Best Tyrant goes to... Rand! Yup, our golden sheepherder has the makings of an excellent tyrant. Ruling with an iron fist, harsh to the point of cruelty, and even if his ideas are 'enlightened', the way he enforces them makes him a tyrant.

Tyrant: "a cruel and oppressive dictator"

hardly Rand, sure at times he is oppressive but he is rarely cruel.

personally i think Rand's (and for that matter Elayne/others) ability to take advice makes them extremely good leaders.

Perrin will probably one of the best rulers, with some practise. He realize his shortcomings, and encourage others to give any advise they have. As he said when talking to Balwer, he may disagree, but he will always listen the next time.

Besides, he's gathering a large number of good rulers to advise him.

Morgase    Queen of the largest nation, a great ruler until Rahvin came

Berelain  Ruler of the smallest nation, has proven herself both in Mayene and Cairhien

Faile    She has recieved traing as an heir to the throne, though she hasn't proved herself yet.

Breane Taborwin  One of the most powerful nobles in Cairhien before the civil war, could probably help him with the Game of Houses, and more

Sebban Balwer    Very bright fellow, who must have picked up a few things fron Niall

Gaul    Expected to be chosen as the next Clanchief, and IMO the aiel clanchiefs are amongst the best rulers

Alliandre Kigarin    Queen of Ghealdan

After Tarmon Gaidon I believe that Perrin will become the greatest ruler in the world.

Out of all of the "ruler" characters in the series who are presently "on the throne"/actively ruling, NONE of them come to mind as being "The Best".  If I had to choose, it would be one of the borderlanders, but they're all with the really big army outside Camelyn.  I think the Lord of Chaos is ruling right now.

Lord of Chaos was the title the Dark One gave to Rand.

Unless that title was switched to someone else, you are saying that Rand is ruling.

That's one of the theories, not a fact.  As for Rand, he is definitely one of the major powers in the Westlands, if not the world (with Seanchan and Shara both reportedly in chaos), by now. 

In my opinion, the best ruler is Rand.  That doesn't mean I think he is the best ruler in all of time, but I think he is doing the best with the worst position.  Just because Rand brings equality that nobles/highborn are not used, to does not make him a tyrant.  Rand facilitates technological progress.  You could even say he promotes positive progress in general.  Even though he cannot directly rule over all of the countries he controls, he appoints the right people to lead and manage for him.  Taim was the best person for the job, no matter his loyalties.  Rand is dealing with pompous nobles, war with the Seanchan, and not to mention battling the Forsaken.

If we consider a good ruler to be a person that manages well, I would say Rand is doing a mighty fine job of managing all of his problems while still staying a step ahead of his enemies.

Most of the reasons Rand is not the greatest ruler ever is because he is too blunt for the political scene.  He never learned the subtlety most of the current leaders are raised with.  While I like the laws for equality he has introduced, I think he could have done a better job of introducing them.  He created a lot of enemies in the noble community.

Then again, I like rulers that are straight forward.

Actually, the fact that Rand is an usurper of sovereignty in nearly all the countries he rules makes him by definition a tyrant.

How does being a usurper make you a tyrant?  The definition most people associate a tyrant with(at least I do) is:

a: a ruler who exercises absolute power oppressively or brutally

b: one resembling an oppressive ruler in the harsh use of authority or power

He is not really a usurper of sovereignty, he is sovereign over his empire.  He usurped the thrones he is now sovereign over.

Actually, the fact that Rand is an usurper of sovereignty in nearly all the countries he rules makes him by definition a tyrant.

But I think he's just trying to unite all countries for Tarmon Gaidon. And except for Ilian, he pretty much leaves the country to it's own rules, even though he would ultimately decide on the major issues. Even Rand couldn't rule every nation at the same time, there would be rebellion I think.

why aren't we mentioning rulers who actually inherited thrones throughout the books?

Ethenielle

Pelivar

Tenobia

There are actual ruling nobility that have done a great job of caring for their nations.  Even Aleis Barsalla did well in Far Madding before Cadsuane had to embarass her, which might have cost her the position of ruler.

Siuan was a ruler of sorts and she did well.

But I think the actual rulers, especially Ethenielle, are much overlooked.  They are people of command and power who are going to great lengths to ensure that their people are taken care of in the face of The Last Battle.  A good ruler I think does not inherit power only to exploit it on themselves, but makes themselves very aware of their people and their own responsibility to those people.

Archived