DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wheel of Time Maps

tnsabregirl

While rambling around the Internet looking for WoT news, I stumbled onto this awesome WoT map site:

http://fantasymaps.wordpress.com/2008/01/30/robert-jordan-wheel-of-time-the-ten-nations/

Is anyone on the boards fmiliar with this site? I had never seen this one before, but it seems like a fantastic resource for gamers and WoT-obsessed people.

Is anyone on the boards involved with this site?  :) It would be cool if people running this site could try their hands at some Mistborn maps sometime soon.....

Those maps are mostly from the Guide (The World of Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time) aka the BWB.

They are official and approved by RJ.

The ones labelled for after the beginning of the books (like the Dragon Wars) and the Role Play ones are made up and not supported.

Yup. Also remember to check out the World Maps:

http://fantasymaps.wordpress.com/2008/01/30/robert-jordan-wheel-of-time-world/

(the one on the right is the official, RJ-approved one)

And this one which has RJ-approved maps of Shara and Seanchan, also from the Big White Book:

http://fantasymaps.wordpress.com/2008/01/30/robert-jordan-wheel-of-time-regions/

I haven't found good scans of them, but the WoT RPG book from Wizards of the Coast also has RJ-approved maps (even drawn by series cartographer Ellisa Mitchell) of the cities of Tear and Illian, and the spin-off book Prophecies of the Dragon also has maps of Falme and battle maps for both the defence of Emond's Field in Shadow Rising and Dumai's Wells in Lord of Chaos.

I thought this might be interesting:

Maps in the Big White Book (RJ-approved)

Every map from the books up to A Crown of Swords appears in the BwB, in addition to:

Map of the Ten Nations (p. 97, hardcover)

Map of the Nations of the Free Years (p. 102)

Map of the World (p. 146)

Map of the Westlands (p. 148, not as good as the ones in the books)

Map of the Aiel Waste and Shara (p. 152, shows the coastline and the Termool but mostly featureless)

Map of Seanchan (p. 157)

Maps in the Roleplaying Game (RJ-approved)

Map of the Westlands (p. 24-25), closely based on the colour map in the hardcovers. According to the RPG designers, based on discussions with RJ they decided the map has a scale of 1" = 400 miles (this works for the hardcover maps as well, as they are the same size as the map in the RPG). This map is notable as it extends further east than the ones in the books, taking in a bit more of the Waste and the Termool.

City maps: these maps are all based on the existing maps in the novels but are full-colour and have been redrawn by original artist Ellisa Mitchell on a much bigger scale, showing more detail.

Ebou Dar (p. 265)

Caemlyn (p. 267)

Cairhien (p. 270)

Illian (p. 272, a never-before-seen exclusive map for the RPG)

Tar Valon (p. 275)

Tear (p. 277, another never-before-seen exclusive)

Adventure maps from The Prophecies of the Dragon

Aturo's Orchard (p. 40, a town on Toman Head)

Tobin's Hollow (p. 51, another town on Toman Head)

Falme (p. 56, another new map of a key location)

The West Coast (p. 70, a detailed map of Arad Doman, Almoth Plain, Tarabon and Toman Head)

Mantheren (p. 97, a very rough map of Mantheren showing possible locations for the long-lost city of Jara'copan)

Denhuir (p. 99, the town between Saldaea and Tar Valon where Mazrim Taim escaped in TSR)

The Two Rivers (p. 111, based closely on the new map Ellia Mitchell created for From the Two Rivers)

The Battle of Emond's Field (p. 119, showing the battle from TSR)

Cairhien Districts (p. 157, a new map of the city showing more detail about the individual districts)

The Battle of Dumai's Wells (p. 180, showing the battle from LoC)

Has anyone tried to figure out if Randland is actually th real world broken up and re-stuck together ie found a real part of the world as part of Seanchan, Saldea etc?
The Breaking of the World resulted in massive changes. It's doubtful anything recognisable survived.

Something that would be almost too awesome would be some sort of Google Earth - inspired Wheel of Time program that allows you to see every corner of the planet, in the fashion of how Google Earth works.

What do you peopel think? Oh, if only someone would actually do that. They would also most probably need a green light from Harriet.

The Breaking of the World resulted in massive changes. It's doubtful anything recognisable survived.

The BwB says that the Breaking was centred on Shayol Ghul, and the destruction was less intense in more remote parts of the world. Based on the respective shapes and locations, it is possible that Seanchan is a re-arranged version of North and South America, and that the Land of the Madmen is Australia (seriously, this has to be RJ's humour at work). We can probably assume that Antarctica was also relatively unaffected.

I thought this might be interesting:

Maps in the Big White Book (RJ-approved)

Every map from the books up to A Crown of Swords appears in the BwB, in addition to:

Shouldn't the Stone of Tear be on the opposite side of the city?

Tear.jpg

width=346 height=480http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/Tim811/Caemlyncolor.jpg[/img]

width=345 height=480http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/Tim811/IllianMap.jpg[/img]

width=345 height=480http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/Tim811/Ebou_DarColor.jpg[/img]

width=347 height=480http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g251/Tim811/cairhiencolor.jpg[/img]

Shouldn't the Stone of Tear be on the opposite side of the city?

I recall there being a conflict in the books about where the Stone should be (in TDR IIRC it says that the Stone should be on the west side of the city). I don't remember it being resolved.

The Tear and Illian maps are pointing wrong; the Sea part in both should be in the South instead of in the West.

The Ebou Dar and Cairhien maps are pointing right.  The Caemlyn map seems accurate.

The other maps in this thread look good.

The Tear and Illian maps are pointing wrong; the Sea part in both should be in the South instead of in the West.

The Ebou Dar and Cairhien maps are pointing right.  The Caemlyn map seems accurate.

The other maps in this thread look good.

Tear is clearly north of the delta on the left bank of the Erin.

Illian, I'm can't recall whether it's at the mouth of the river or slightly north of it on one of the banks

The map of Illian appears accurate. The sea is to the south, but the city is at the mouth of the Manetherendrelle, so it will also be on the river. That bit of land at the bottom of the map may just be a small island, not the far side of the river, so it's difficult to tell where exactly the city is located. The books are a bit vague on the details as well.

With Tear it's unclear if the Stone and the city should be on the west or east side of the river (just mirror-flip the map if it's the wrong way around); I remember both being used in the books and RJ commenting that one of them was wrong, but not which one. However, Tear is many miles (?) from the sea, so regardless of which way around it is, the city is definitely on the river and the sea wouldn't be on the map.

Archived