DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What do you like about music?

cosmicpanda

I tend to avoid most popular music (that includes everything released on CD that isn't classical, and even then I avoid most classical releases).

So, to people who appreciate bands such as Metallica and Coldplay, what makes you appreciate their work? Do you like it purely for the lyrics, or do you think about the music as well?

I asked someone I know in real life this the other day and he just shrugged and said "If I like it, I like it." There's nothing like making an informed decision.

Anyway, peoples of SG, answer this and 1 point per on-topic post shall be given by me.

I liked grunge because like every other non-conformist', (hahahahaha), of the early nineties it reached me and helped me through my mid teen turmoil.

I like metal because it is fun, the tackier the lyrics the better! :D

I like classical music that makes me 'feel' at the risk of being a stereotype, my favourite is cannon, I love the way it can lift me up, and make cry with heartbeats.

I believe liking a particular music is all about emotion. It's not so much whether or not you like it, it's more how do you like the way it makes you feel?  Music, to me, is about memories and feelings and energy. When I'm pissed off at the world, there's nothing I like to do more than play some angry angsty Offspring songs, like Nitro or Smash or some Tool.  It's fast, it's powerful, it's angry, it's everything I'm feeling at that moment.

When I'm pre-gaming to go out for a night on the town, I love me some Queen like Bohemian Rhapsody or Fatbottomed Girls or Some Bon Jovi. It's playful, it's upbeat and it's energizing.

When I'm feeling down and I wanna sulk, anything Nirvana or Pearl Jam sets the mood.  It's fed up with the world, full of pain and reclusive.

When I just want to relax and calm down after a long day, some Billy Joel or some Jimi Hendrix slows down the pace and can help take your mind off your own troubles.

Like I said, it's not always the lyrics and not always just the music, but a combination of the two that set a mood.

There are songs I do enjoy purely for the lyrics because their just fun to sing along too, like Rocky Raccoon or American Pie, but mostly its the state of mind that it takes you too.

Now my musical tastes have been forged in 3 battlefronts, my parents I get alot of the older rock abit of barnsey etc including the beatles.

My brother is the metal man and I really enjoy the aggresion in metal and then who can't love a band like Iron Maiden ;D

And my sister I got alot of the 90's alternative stuff like smashing pumpkins bush etc

There are reasons I like the music I listen to (yes even for too sexy by Right said fred) however it is something I would have to write up as it can be hard to describe why you like the music you like

I believe liking a particular music is all about emotion. It's not so much whether or not you like it, it's more how do you like the way it makes you feel?  Music, to me, is about memories and feelings and energy. When I'm pissed off at the world, there's nothing I like to do more than play some angry angsty Offspring songs, like Nitro or Smash or some Tool.  It's fast, it's powerful, it's angry, it's everything I'm feeling at that moment.

When I'm pre-gaming to go out for a night on the town, I love me some Queen like Bohemian Rhapsody or Fatbottomed Girls or Some Bon Jovi. It's playful, it's upbeat and it's energizing.

When I'm feeling down and I wanna sulk, anything Nirvana or Pearl Jam sets the mood.  It's fed up with the world, full of pain and reclusive.

When I just want to relax and calm down after a long day, some Billy Joel or some Jimi Hendrix slows down the pace and can help take your mind off your own troubles.

Like I said, it's not always the lyrics and not always just the music, but a combination of the two that set a mood.

There are songs I do enjoy purely for the lyrics because their just fun to sing along too, like Rocky Raccoon or American Pie, but mostly its the state of mind that it takes you too.

So music to you is something a bit intangible? You seem to be saying that you associate certain songs with certain moods. When you say that Rocky Raccoon and American Pie are fun to sing along to purely because of the lyrics, you wouldn't say that the tune is also something that you associate with those songs? (I'll admit at this point just in case that I think I've heard American Pie once and that I've never heard Rocky Raccoon. But American Pie seemed to be quite tuneful.) Would you go walking down the street with, say, the chorus in your head?

Very nice, long post. I'll give it a whole THREE points  :D

I liked grunge because like every other non-conformist', (hahahahaha), of the early nineties it reached me and helped me through my mid teen turmoil.

I like metal because it is fun, the tackier the lyrics the better! :D

I like classical music that makes me 'feel' at the risk of being a stereotype, my favourite is cannon, I love the way it can lift me up, and make cry with heartbeats.

How did it help you, do you think? Did you identify with the bands in particular, or the lyrics, or did you like the fact that they had a non-conformist image because you felt also that you were a bit non-confirmist? A bit touchy feely here. I should get Dwyn in.

I'm assuming that you're talking about Pachelbel's Canon in D, since we've talked about it before on MSN. Tell me, when you listen to it, do you try to follow the four individual melodic lines, or do you just listen to the overall sound?

rammstein is loud heavy metal and thier songs go from sick and twisted to romance.  and till lederman's voice is really sexy and dead hot looking...

If a different band to Rammstein managed to create a similar sound, would you admire them as well? Or would you prefer Rammstein due to the fact that you know their songs, and because Till Lederman is sexy?

Now my musical tastes have been forged in 3 battlefronts, my parents I get alot of the older rock abit of barnsey etc including the beatles.

My brother is the metal man and I really enjoy the aggresion in metal and then who can't love a band like Iron Maiden ;D

And my sister I got alot of the 90's alternative stuff like smashing pumpkins bush etc

There are reasons I like the music I listen to (yes even for too sexy by Right said fred) however it is something I would have to write up as it can be hard to describe why you like the music you like

Well, I'm asking you why you like the music. *twaps* I'll give you a point anyway.

Myself, I'm considered an oddity even amongst my fellow music students because I have a big thing for music written before 1750, organ music in particular. Part of the reason is that, in a Bach fugue for example, I can admire the craftmanship that he's put into it, and another reason is that I like to see the musical history - some of the things Bach wrote are quite astonishing to modern ears, such as the manner in which he ends some pieces.

eclipse: 3

eli: 2

canuki: 1

badco: 1

Why do I like music?

I don't know. I love it though, and certainly would not enjoy a life without it (BOTH PLAYING AND LISTENING)

I just... It's relaxing, it's "fun" if that can be said of it, it's beautiful or exciting or a lot of things. I listen mostly to soundtrack music (orchestral scores) and rock'ish stuff. Lots of east block rock ska/punk/folk-rock whatnot, Norwegian ompa-rock (kaizers orchestra!) and general rock. I steer away from pop music, r&b and rap. No. Not for me. *pukes*

As far as orchestral scores go, they'll remind me of moments in films or games or whatever they're from and they'll make me feel things, if I listen to say the soundtrack of firefly i'll start smiling or the batman soundtrack my heart'll start racing. It's such a lovely feeling. Also, a lot of music I listen to because it's plain old fun, like weird al and suchlike, but most of the music I listen to I listen to because it makes me feel well, and because I like having music in the background when I'm doing this, it gets my mind off things and relaxes me. Yeah, that's about it.

Guest Far Dareis Mai

In college I studied music for years, and so I tend to study the vocals more than anything. How the harmony works, the different notes the lyricist tries to put together, discords, etc. I love sometimes when a vocalist can set their tone against the grain of music in just the right way, so that it creates a lovely discord that you think "Oy, it hurts--but it's such a lovely kind of pain".

That being said I tend to appreciate alternative music. The message isn't always clear, but when a great vocalist has something to say, it is usually said very interestingly. Raine Maida of Our Lady Peace is a good example of this. He writes most of the band's music, and the words can be very thought provoking.

I do have mood music, and I tend to listen to that more than anything these days as a release, and to escape my children for a few minutes (lol), but when I get serious about it, I'm all about the vocals.

I think though if I were more adept at piano or guitar, I would probably study the music more, as I would have a better understanding of their efforts and thus appreciate it more. :)

So music to you is something a bit intangible? You seem to be saying that you associate certain songs with certain moods. When you say that Rocky Raccoon and American Pie are fun to sing along to purely because of the lyrics, you wouldn't say that the tune is also something that you associate with those songs? (I'll admit at this point just in case that I think I've heard American Pie once and that I've never heard Rocky Raccoon. But American Pie seemed to be quite tuneful.) Would you go walking down the street with, say, the chorus in your head?

Well, there is something intangible about music. There are songs that the lyrics express the mood of the music so well, you can't help but feel a certain connection to a moment or a memory that you never even had, purely from the lyricists experience or imagination.  Something about the Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Under the Bridge' always struck a cord with me. When ever I hear it I feel a sense of isolation, freedom and regret, all at the same time. It's awe inspiring how a song can do that.

If you've never read or written a songfic, I suggest you look into it.  It's something Poledra got me into, but putting those feelings into words of your own gives you a deep connection with a song. It's really in essence you writing a script for a music video set to a particular song.  It's a very rewarding experience.

As for American Pie, yes, the music is very rich and melodic and it helps set the mood in the different verses of the song. I wouldn't go down the street with the chorus in my head though, if I'm going to sing it, even in my head, I'm gonna sing the whole thing from start to finish, lol. Rocky Raccoon is a very simple folky song with not more than 3 chords on a single guitar.  Its just a funny little tragic story that makes me smile.

1) Till Lederman's is dead sexy.

2) i do listen to other angry violent artists like marylin manson, rob zombie, and metallica.

although of the english bands my fav is the death metal by Acid Bath.  i love the sick poetry of the lyrics.  Acid Bath speaks to the monster inside me.

i also like a lot of techno dance music cause it has a deep, primal beat to it that i like to move to.

then there's my small collection of elizebethian dance songs and traditional japanese music for when i'm feeling mellow

"How did it help you, do you think? Did you identify with the bands in particular, or the lyrics, or did you like the fact that they had a non-conformist image because you felt also that you were a bit non-confirmist? A bit touchy feely here. I should get Dwyn in."

I identified with the lyrics in some, and the 'sound' of the music in others. For example, at the age of 15 The Pumpkins Album Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was basically my bible, I lived and breathed for. I loved that Billy Corgan was different, I loved that he was open about his motivations 'stuff the fans, I wanna be rich', (he actually said that in an interview).

The main fact is, I felt different, and unnaccepted, and this music was different and (I thought at the time), not accepted  by the general popultion.

'I'm assuming that you're talking about Pachelbel's Canon in D, since we've talked about it before on MSN. Tell me, when you listen to it, do you try to follow the four individual melodic lines, or do you just listen to the overall sound?'

Yes indeedy Pachelbel's Canon in D, I listen to the meld, as opposed to individual lines, although I can vocalise them individually no problem. It just wouldn't be the same if any one of those melodies was taken away.

The thing I like about music most is that when you have had a bad day and are pissed off and then when you put on a favorite track you can't help but smile and it always finds a way to break through no matter what and it's just you and the music and the outside world seems less real and you can just be there with your music and everything seems better.

Archived