DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Music maestro please!

Xar

Hello my fellow readers!

Just for fun, curiosity and maybe inspiration I'm wondering if you guy's ever listen to music when you're reading WOT? And if you do what kind of music it is that gets you even more into the books?

I love to read WOT in my Fatboy sit sack with a glass of wine on a rainy afternoon with some LOTR music in the background. This is of course the most ideal situation ;D.

Let me know Greetz Xar.

Hummm....

I don't usually listen to music when I read, but I think these songs seem to go along with fantasy books like WOT, in my mind anyways:

Alone Tonight - Above & Beyond

In and Out of Love - Armin van buuren

Going Wrong - Armin van buuren

Ecstasy - ATB

You got away (club mix)  - DJ Encore

Never let you go - Lagoona

Children - Robert Miles

Fable - Robert Miles

• 2 weeks later...

The very best music for wheel of time is Heavy Metal.  When I started reading WOT, back when dinosaures ruled the earth, it was Matalica most often. Although I also like Black Sabeth, AC / DC and Gun's and Roses.

Right now I'm really into Clutch and Lamb of God. 

• 1 month later...

I have a couple Cd's for each book that I have mixed myself. Each as a certain feel and hit special beats at times to make what I am reading have more impact. Like when I am reading The Great Hunt the battle over Falma Its Duel Of The Fates. John Williams is really appropriate for a lot of WOT. At least till the movies start coming out from Universal and we got "Offical" sound tracks for each of the books in the series.

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif

``The very best music for wheel of time is Heavy Metal.''

De gustibus non disputandum est (there can be no disputation [rational argument] about tastes). Be that as it may, I am mostly with Majsju on this one. And I cannot imagine how heavy metal could be appropriate, but for me, at least, classical would be. (I'm not so enthusiastic about opera.) All the same I have listened to a variety of music, including some jazz, and a wee bit of rock, whilst reading the <i>Wheel of Time</i>, and I don't associate any particular piece with the series or book therewithin. The ``Night on Bald Mountain'' (Mussorgsky) would go well with the flight north from Emonds Field in THEOW, it seems to me.

De gustibus non disputandum est (there can be no disputation [rational argument] about tastes). Be that as it may, I am mostly with Majsju on this one. And I cannot imagine how heavy metal could be appropriate, but for me, at least, classical would be. (I'm not so enthusiastic about opera.) All the same I have listened to a variety of music, including some jazz, and a wee bit of rock, whilst reading the <i>Wheel of Time</i>, and I don't associate any particular piece with the series or book therewithin. The ``Night on Bald Mountain'' (Mussorgsky) would go well with the flight north from Emonds Field in THEOW, it seems to me.

I agree. Metal just doesn't seem to strike the right tone. I like to listen to martial music so something like the Imperial March, The Ride Of The Valkyries, is always good.  Actual war songs the Battle Hymn of the Republic work too.

Ok, a clarification. I do not really associate classical music or opera with WOT, it is the music I have in the backgound most of the time when I read, no matter what I am actually reading.

If I were to associate WOT with any kind of music, it would be a blend of Scandinavian and Irish folk music (and when I say Irish, I am most certainly not refering to that pesky Enya, and her fake folktunes for lotr).

Personally, I don't like listening to music with lyrics while reading.  It's distracting to me.

E.S. Posthumus has some good stuff.

I also listen to various ambient techno and trance (not the dance kind) artists, most of whom post stuff for free online  :)), but that fits better with scifi.

I also occasionally listen to jazz or blues, mostly Miles Davis, Wynton Marsalis, and John Coltrane.

Also some stuff from movie and game soundtracks.  I especially like some of the Halo music, and Battle of the Heroes from Star Wars Episode 3.

That being said, I generally don't listen to music while reading except on rereads and when I really feel like it.

ITs weird, I dont actually have any music that I associate with specific scenes, but there are certainly songs which when I listen to them, I could imagine being on the soundtrack of a/the film. If the film was done my way (ie with lots of fighting and kissing  ::))

So, I like:

Pretender - Foo Fighters (obvious if you listen to the words)

Wish I Could Fly - Roxette

Money for Nothing - Dire Straits (dont listen to the words, just the music, specifically the intro, up until the song proper starts)

I like the way you move - bodyrockers (again, just the music)

Amongst others  :)

ETA --

As the fogs clear over the battlefields of Tarmon Gaidon, as people awake to see what the outcome has been, who lived, who died, we drift, bodiless, between each of the main characters. We head towards Shayol Ghul, where Rand faced his fate. As the mists clear and his form becomes clear (I'm not saying if he's alive or dead, it would fit for either), the following music starts over -- 'Proud' - Heather Small.

Seriously listen to it, she's got an atmospheric voice.

even if Rand dies, knowing what he did and how hard he worked to make TG go in 'our' favour... the song still works.

Guest Dreadlord

I have to agree with Trakand 01 on the Foo Fighters-Pretender thing. There are lines in that song that could refer to Rand seeing Moridins face, Lews Therin in Rands head, Semirhage blowing Rands hand off, Moiraine keeping the truth from Rand and co at the start of EotW...Pretty much every word could be interpretted as a Wheel of Time reference.

One thing I disagree on is when people say "This type of music doesnt fit with this type of book/film." I never thought heavy metal/goth would fit Final Fantasy 7 until I watched the film Advent Children that comes after the game. Sephiroth, the villain, has had all his theme songs made into heavy metal and it sounds great.

When reading KoD I combined it with another new found joy: Queen, the combination stuck....

I was brought up listening to Queen, and it is my one true regret that I never got to see Freddie live. I'm not sure where you live, but they have a massive fanbase in England. Roger Taylor, John Deacon and Brian May are in the middle of a tour with Paul Rogers from the band Free (which you may also like if you like Queen), and my parents went on Sunday evening - they said it was fantastic.

'I Want it All', 'Who Wants to Live Forever' 'One Vision' and 'World of Machines' are my favourite in conjunction with WoT (have you noticed the intentional mistake at the end of One Vision?)  ;D

Sorry, I digress... I could go on all day...

^Yeah, I would give a lot to be at Wembley 86, that record is fantastic!

And only a year after I was born, that's the problem with listening to older music: you never get a chance to see the artists at their prime :(

Nope, what mistake? I'm not that good at picking up lyrics so I might easily have missed something text wise.... And yeah, those dramatic songs really do fit the temperament of the books

Archived