DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What will be in the prologue

Charlz Guybon

The prologue to AMoL will likely be long, and mostly Jordan's work given how close to completion he made it sound like when he talked about it in his blog. So I was wondering, what will be the focus of this prologue. We usually see point of views from characters that we don't often get to see and that set up action latter in the book or the series. I think therefore that we will see lots of Forsaken POVs, Moridin, Demandred and Messana in particular, perhaps Graendal as well. Through these POVs we'll see their final plans begin to go into motion.

What do you guys think will happen in the prologue?

Quote "Dead Mules"

Agreed.  ;)

I see this often. Can someone tell me what this is?

My take: Some sort of interesting scene that has little to do with the actual storyline (and hence is mostly useless) is most likely.

Jordan was asked to talk about what was characteristic of Southern literature, and he said every piece of great Southern literature had a scene with a dead mule. He said he was surprised to realize he'd hadn't written such a scene and promised to correct this in the next book.

I disagree that the prologues have been useless quite the opposite. For example

TPoD - Borderland Rulers join together and come south. Verin interrogates and compels Tower Aes Sedai. Moridin plots. I think the first two of these three are very important to the overall plot.

WH - The Black Ajah hunters captures Talene. Elayne and Aviendha become first sisters. Toviene sumbits to the authority of Desandre and Lemai. Rand starts divvying up the Westland, naming stewards.

The first section will have huge repercussions in how the Aes Sedai subplot will turn out. The third allows the reader to get a better idea of how the Logain/Taim split in the Black Tower stands. The fourth is an important political development.

My impression was that the prologues usually take up the small storylines that can be folded up quickly, and have not enough filling for an entire chapter.

For example:

- how and why are the Seanchan gonna attack the White Tower?

- Mat and the two others entering the Tower of Ghenjei

- Logain and Rand rounding up everyone in Arad Doman for their attack on Graendal

- Tuon taking control of the Seanchan

- The remainders of the Children joining up with one of the main armies (probably Tam/Perrin's)

- The Shaido getting utterly destroyed or getting utterly out-of-the-way

I didn't say the past prologues were useless. The first book's prologue was far from useless.

I don't expect any mojor event to take place in the prologue. That is all I meant to say- and hence it may be viewed as useless by highly expectant fans. (this is on the assumption that the prologue is released early)

I want every Shaido to die. They should not have violated Ji'e'toh and taken people who don't follow it as gai'shain. It is horrible and I could just imagine that happening to me. omg

Well, the last we saw of the Shaido in KOD was them deciding to return to the waste, and never leave again, so their storyline does seem to have come to an end.

Considering how much there is to deal with already, adding further dealings with the Shaido to the mix seems a tad unnecessary, unless by doing so another line can move forward, and there is really nothing that speaks in favour of that.

Well, the last we saw of the Shaido in KOD was them deciding to return to the waste, and never leave again, so their storyline does seem to have come to an end.

Considering how much there is to deal with already, adding further dealings with the Shaido to the mix seems a tad unnecessary, unless by doing so another line can move forward, and there is really nothing that speaks in favour of that.

A page and a half showing them getting annihilated by a Trolloc horde would be much appreciated.

A page and a half showing them getting annihilated by a Trolloc horde would be much appreciated.

Indeed.

*prays that the Shaido are not the remnant of Aiel that Rand is supposed to save*

Indeed.

*prays that the Shaido are not the remnant of Aiel that Rand is supposed to save*

Actually this is a very likely happening. They returned to the waste, which likely would keep some of them out of the big battle. While all the other Aiel are going to be there with Rand at the last battle. Maybe some of them survive, yet I think there is a pretty good shot that the Shaido are the remanant of a remanent to survive.

There was a VERY good discussion on this a few months back, titled 'A remnant of a remnant shall be saved," where practically every possibility was discussed. I think the final conclusion we came to involved the Lost ones, though I've forgotten exactly what the conclusion was.

I seem to feel very dragonmountish today. I haven't posted like this in ages.

There was a VERY good discussion on this a few months back, titled 'A remnant of a remnant shall be saved," where practically every possibility was discussed. I think the final conclusion we came to involved the Lost ones, though I've forgotten exactly what the conclusion was.

I seem to feel very dragonmountish today. I haven't posted like this in ages.

I know how you feel, I don't get gere much, always too busy. Yet I have re-read nearly the entire series once again, scouring for any clue I seem to have missed. When I could come here and discuss this with others and likely catch more.

One thing that I really hope will be in the prologue is the revelation of Asmo's killer, especially if it is going to be released early.  Considering that The Forsaken get alot of their POV time the the prologues I think this is a real possibility (assuming that one of The Forsaken is the killer).

My impression was that the prologues usually take up the small storylines that can be folded up quickly, and have not enough filling for an entire chapter.

For example:

- how and why are the Seanchan gonna attack the White Tower?

- Mat and the two others entering the Tower of Ghenjei

- Logain and Rand rounding up everyone in Arad Doman for their attack on Graendal

- Tuon taking control of the Seanchan

- The remainders of the Children joining up with one of the main armies (probably Tam/Perrin's)

- The Shaido getting utterly destroyed or getting utterly out-of-the-way

Throw in a few Forsaken POVs and I think you're petty much right on with this list.  Except for the Shaido I agree with those who have said that we've seen the last of them.  Also I'm not sure that the COL joining up with Perrin and Tam will be in the prologue.  The prologues tend to be informative rather than action based and I think there will be quite a bit of drama concerning this meeting considering that Dain and Byre are with Galad.  They won't just readily join up with Perrin.

I see this often. Can someone tell me what this is?
A mule is half-horse, half-donkey. A dead mule is a mule that is dead, that has given up the ghost, it has shuffled off its mortal coil, is with the angels, has gone to a better place, is no longer with us, conked out, snuffed it, passed on, it is an ex-mule, it has ceased to be, bereft of life it rests in peace, it would be pushing up daisies if it wasn't nailed its perch!

Actually this is a very likely happening. They returned to the waste, which likely would keep some of them out of the big battle. While all the other Aiel are going to be there with Rand at the last battle. Maybe some of them survive, yet I think there is a pretty good shot that the Shaido are the remanant of a remanent to survive.

There are plenty of Aiel left in the waste. Rand took most of the spears with him, not all of them. And of course the women who weren't maidens, the children, the civilian men all stayed behind.

Does Rand have any idea she's in Arad Doman? I don't recall him having a clue about this. ???

That force is aimed at the Seanchan.

Does Rand have any idea she's in Arad Doman? I don't recall him having a clue about this. ???

No, Rand has no idea there's anything other than chaos in Arad Doman.  He just wants to bring another nation into the fold.

That force is aimed at the Seanchan.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that it's to quickly pacify Arad Doman, which would be useful to Rand in that it would allow him to use a double-pronged attack on the Seanchan should his peace talks fall through.  However, at the moment, it is intended for Arad Doman, not the Seanchan.

I don't think they already know Graendal is in Aarad Doman. But either Rand or Cadsuane will find out soon enough a Forsaken was at work over there (for example after talking to the king or the leader of the army).

Why not the Seanchan?

- there were peace meetings planned between rand and the seanchan (only, it was semi). Rand is NOT the guy to put an army where he wants peace by a treaty.

- the Seanchan never actually conquered Arad Doman. They went from Toman Head south over Tarabon, Amadicia, and Altara, before they were stopped in Illian/Ghealdan/Murandy.

Archived