DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

recommended authors or series?

gremlin246

Guest rie rahien

one of the best in buisnies is roger zelazny with cronicles of amber series than forgothen stiven donaldson hronicles of thomas covenant the unbeliever i red tolkien when i was 9 years old every book i read 30 thimes at least clasics are clasics hobbit,lotr,silmarilion than norvegian triologi trygwe gulbransen im not sure how to spel it so dont mind the mistakes g.r.r.martin songs of fire and ice oin kolfer artemis fowl and many others. and i listed all and didnt see donaldson eny where he can stand shoulder to shoulder with RJ tolkien ,martin and when i finished the books i just stare trough the window for hours what a book

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I was looking through this I dont think I saw this. It is an awful long seris(like 24 in counting), but the Xanth seris by Piers Anthony is a really good seris. Along with a few of his books like Through the Ice is also a good book.

A great series to read if your looking for a long series would be the Shannara series by Terry Brooks, but I've also just read a pretty good trilogy called the Tir Alainn Trilogy by Anne Bishop the first book is called the Pillars of the World. Too many good books out there not enough time to read them all!

Guest rie rahien

shanara series is god but not great third book is bad if you havent read s.donaldson cronicles of thomas covenant you must also rusian writer maria semjonova, volkodav thats original title but i don know how is translated on english russian languange and serbian are very similar .terry brooks is good but it gives away feeling that he writes book for a month ant ublish it for a two.

yeah, I must admit the first 3 were the best, but I also read his separate novel the voyage of the Jerle Shanara and that was really good it kind of futuristic so its different from his usual stuff. I'll look into this S.Donaldson though I am always looking for new books especially waiting for a Memory of Light I've had to keep myself busy as I get a bit impatient at times! :D

I couldn't get into Shannara. But recently I got into the Kingdom of Landover books. Not bad at all. I don't normally care for books that start out in the real world and go to a fantasy world(Narnia of course being the exception) but the Kingdom of Landover novels, so far are great. Simple, but great.

My recs and probably are repeats of others...

Terry Brooks - World of Shannara

Dan Brown - Just his four novels

George RR Martin - Song of Fire & Ice

George Lucas & Chris Claremont - The Shadow Trilogy based off the movie Willow

My wife would recommend:

Mercades Lackey

Anne McCaffrey

Robin Hobb

Marion Zimmer Bradley

Rosalind Miles

Gregory Maguire

I loved the Kingdom of Landover series!!! They are simple but fun to read nonetheless. Ofcourse they don't compare to Narnia but they're still good! I love Dan Brown, I was lucky because I read Angels and Demons before I read the D'Vinci Code so I was already familiar with Robert Langdon, have you guys seen the movie yet? I did but I won't say anything incase you haven't. I must say though that I think Angels and Demons would've made a more exciting movie as it has more action and suspense, but since people went nuts over the D'Vinci Code they decided to make that one a movie. I love Marion Zimmer Bradley and I have her Lady of Avalon series and I loved it! Zaren, your wife definitely has good taste in books! :D

Guest rie rahien

i just finished ann mcCaffrey dragonriders of pern its not bad but it isnt great too and j.v.jouns sword of shadows is great too one of the best new books i read in last year than Michael Murcock ,eternal hero (dorian hawkmoon)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Egwene

Couldn't agree more with your friends, Zaren. Someone in the shop that told me about the Terry Godddkind series called it 'very graphic'. I still bought it because I like the synopsis which sounded like the sort of story I enjoy. And I have enjoyed the series. Got the latest one on order at the moment....BUT....

The big 'but' is that it IS very disturbing in places. I couldn't help but feel that the author enjoys beeing descriptive about rape etc. a bit too much. It is only because these scenes do have consequences for the story that you allow them to be acceptable in a way. It is certainly a book that I would not recommend for younger readers.

Anyone else here read the 'Weather Warden' series by Rachel Caine? I very much enjoyed the first one and have just started on the second one in the series. My other half has read several and thought they were very good.

Guest Lord_Zirkus

I've got recently "A Game of Thrones" By George R.R. Martin and I recommend the book "Spellfire" by Ed Greenwood. It's a great book, it's under the series entitled "Forgotten Realms"

goodkind has a thing that i like: people who really know their way around magic, but as the series progresses it becomes a pulpit for his beliefs, and not a fantasy series. terry prachet is amazing, but even though it takes place in a fantasy world it is not really fantasy. peirs anthony is for kids, pern is boring. i would suggest the sword of maiden's tears by rosemary edgehill because it is what we all hope secretly to happen to us one day. and also the legend of drizzt by r a salvatore. it is very good and very depressing.

• 2 weeks later...

Edding's 'Belgariad' and 'Elenium' are great (in my humble opinion), i thought Feist's 'Magician' started out really well, but i thought it tailed off towards the end - it got a bit bizzare. Just my thought, don't know what anyone else thinks :)

Im too lazy to look through 10 pages :p

Steven Erikson's Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I liked Timothy Zahn in his Star Wars series (Like whatd be considered as the 3 after RotJ, forgot the name)but included Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command

Sean Russell's Initiate Brother Dualogy was pretty good if you like eastern stuff.

For History books written in story i reccomend, Eji Yoshikawa's Taiko, tellign the story of Hideyoshi, and the rise of the Shogunate. Warring States period. (Played Samurai warriors? thats the real story)

And of course Luo Guan Zhong's Three Kingdoms, Telling the story of Liu Bei, Sun Quan and Cao Cao and their struggles to become emporer. (Played Dynasty Warriors? thats the real story)

[/i]

I have heard a couple of people mention The Dresdin Files by Jim Butcher. These books are very fun to read, and I highly recommend them. You can get sample chapters from his website www.jim-butcher.com. He also has a new fantasy series call the Codex of Alera. There are only two books in the series so far but they are pretty good. It is different than other fantasy series because everyone has the use of "magic" or furies as they are called in the book, except the hero. The first book in that series is called The Furies of Calderon.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Egwene

I have just finished Janny Wurts 'Wars of Light & Shadow' series... the ones that are out, that is. Brilliant series. My husband is now reading them and sofar agrees with my verdict. Janny Wurts is best known for co-writing the 'Empire trilogy' which is part of R. Feist's 'Riftwar Saga'.

Archived