DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Wheel of Time Movie

Tearial

I haven't heard anything so don't let the subject fool you.  I was more just wanting to get a word out in the world that it would be so incredible if someone were to take the books and turn them into a movie.  I realize how many books there are....but, if you think about it, Mr. Jordan (RIP, you will be missed) went into great detail about the surroundings in the whole series.  So, if you look at it through my eyes, you could probably fit two or three books into one movie.  At least, I think it could be done that way.  Weather or not people would agree, is another matter.  But don't other people think it would make for a great movie series?  I even thought of a great song that would match Rand al'Thor perfectly.  How hard it would be to have the whole world resting on him like that?  "Breaking The Habit" by Linkin Park.  If you've never heard it before, go to youtube.com and do a search for it and really listen to the lyrics.  It matches Rand perfectly!

I think it would make a great television series, personally.

Too many epic book series have been neutered in the filmmaking process, but a TV series would make it possible to delve deep into all of the characters and wouldn't necessarily require that any point of action be rushed through.

Frankly, I can't even imagine it being entertaining if a WoT book was trimmed to a 200 page screenplay.  There are so many twists and webs in the story that it would just be a jumbled mess by the end.

I was totally freakin out when I saw this news:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=47959

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=58590

And it's not some random sites which are reporting, seems like it may come to pass, even though it's gonna be a big challenge to prtrait those stories on the big screen. I'm really looking forward to seeing one of the greatest stories i've ever read come to life. First Legend of the Seeker and now this? :D

So, if you look at it through my eyes, you could probably fit two or three books into one movie.  At least, I think it could be done that way. 

I truly believe that is impossible. There is too much going on to do that. Actually, it may just be the reverse.

But you pointed out an interesting thing- much of the bulk of the book goes into description and that takes up negligible camera time. Hmm. Interesting.

Apparently Universal Studios has bought the rights. This is under discussion in the WOT forum of this site. Have a look. 8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope not, that's just never gonna work, the books are way too massive, or then they're gonna do what they did with Harry Potters, that is cut all the background stuff off and leave only the main plot resulting in very confusing mumble-jumble and leave the audience (those who haven't read the books) thinking along the lines of 'what the hell was that?'. That's why a TV-series would be best, one season a book, but that's likely never gonna happen

nods series would definantly be best, what makes these stories great are the details, cuting them out to the bare backbone plot is not great, and it rather displays the great work in a wrong way, they somewhat did it with the potter books, but the lotr was so not measurable up to the books, and a major disapointment loosing out on a lot of the great smaller moments that was so essential to making the story so great

and wot is even more detailed in a personal sence, with even more focus over on characters and less on the mainstory...so it would make horible movies, unless they make like 3 per book

A TV seriers would be best I think everyone can agree with that, but that is not what fate seems to of delt the WoT books, seeing as Universal Studios is going to make movies out of them. All I can say is they better not screw it up, with a fan base the size that the WoT has the movies might flop box-office wise if they mess it up. But, let us pray they dont I kinda want to see what they do with the books, as long as it isnt as bad as the Eragon move <Tries not to puke a the mention on the movie>

• 4 weeks later...

its a shame cuz a lot of great films are being done as tv series.  i think hbo would do great or maybe showtime or something.  it would allow for some of the more pg13 elements of the book and would allow to tell the story better.  i think it would be tough though cuz i already have my own idea what the characters all look like in my head and to see people that look nothing like them would ruin it for me.  this didnt happen in lord of the rings but it did in eragon.  i didnt think it was that bad a movie but it certainaly was not what i was expecting. i would say i was disappointed.

There was some discussion of this at D*Con.

It seems the plan is to make the first few books into movies then start combining the later books. This would be the ones after the boys split up and things are actually happening at the same time in multiple books.

Much of the descriptive narrative can in fact be covered by visuals so that would take hundreds of pages out of each book.

Also, and I understand the book editing process and know this was important in the books; the movies don't "have" explain everything that happened in every previous book, again cutting out hundreds of pages per book.

So I think 4 to 6 movies could cover the series. Of course, there is still MoL to come out.

One troubling thing I heard in the discussions was some plot lines would probably be dropped. I suppose this is inevitable. But the one mentioned most was Egwene. I would much rather see Faile's kidnapping plot dropped than Egwene's rise to the Amyrlin Seat. Though I suppose if she unites the Tower and deposes Elaida they can't very well drop that completely.

I would not like to see the books turned into a network television series. People are just too fickle about what they watch and ratings make all the difference in whether a series lives or dies. I don't want to get my hopes up that CBS will carry WoT and have it canceled after one season, or worse mid-season.

An HBO/Showtime/Starz type of series could work though. They have had some very successful ones: Sopranos, Sex in the City, etc. I just get HBO. However, Rome, which I really liked got canceled after 2 seasons.

Actually that could really be successful if it where not on HBO because I would then have to subscribe to the premium network that carried it. ;) As would any other WoT fan that didn't subscribe. I guess the same would be true if it were an HBO production because lots of people don't subscribe to it. ;D

Yeah I posted a thread about the GL movie here I included a link to the first draft script and some of the concept art that has been released. No one has been cast yet but the guy from the movie "The Notebook" (can't remember his name right now) has been talked about heavely for playing Hal. The movie it's self will be Hal's Origin and the story is based on the Emerald Dawn 1 6 issue mini they ran in 1990. With a few additions from Geoff Johns current Green Lantern run. Read the script it's so awesome that I think if even half of it survives into the final shooting version it's gonna ROCK OUT LOUD!!!

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif

why do we always look to the media or film industry for validation of the worthiness of our favorite literature.  the "Wheel of Time" is a story unto itself and does not need a cheesy sci fi channel adaption (like the horrible "Legend of Earthsea") to feel like our passion is validated. If it is to be done right it needs to  be taken on  by a serious dedicated network.  I was over joyed when I heard that HBO was taking on the "Song of Ice and Fire".  If they can do "Deadwood" and "Rome" then I can see them doing the works of Martin and Jordan.  Anything less than a multiple season series would NOT do justice to Jourdan's epic vision.

i dont know i kinda like it when a film is done well of a series.  it worked out for harry potter and lord of the rings.  i thought beowulf was done good too with the computer animation.  with all the potential special effects in the wheel of time series i think it would make for a great film.

i hear what you are saying and i hate it when they screw something good up when making it into a movie but i think when it is done well it opens the literature up to a whole new audience. 

Archived