DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

RJ how he has influenced or/change your life?

anthonyelayne

I have found that my "spare" time (what little I have) has been greatly enriched by RJ's books. I'm sure I would have found another series if this one wasn't available, but I doubt I would have enjoyed it as much. An actual part of the book would be alot of laughing with my wife about Mat's many adventures, sayings, and dealings with the opposite sex.

I used to believe in Jesus, phhh, what a load that was. Now I only believe in the Creator.

Actually I say 'bloody hell' ... alot. Never used to do that. I also find that more and more of my meals now consist of strips of dried meat, cheese, crusty bread and dried fruit.  :P

I hadn't read fantasy in a while and after WOT, I have again started on fantasy books.

As an aspiring writer,  I must say that WOT has increased my insight significantly. I have altered many aspects of my own story after reading WOT and WOT offered huge inspiration.

And the only real rules you need to know Cockta are don't be a jerk and don't spoil book endings for people.  Lmao, that's all the reading you need do ^^  Welcome to DM!

That is my own golden rule. Never be a jerk, and of course a troll, and a spammer, but I consider them as jerks as well. As for spoilers, how do I know how far a guy or girl has come in the books? What if they don't tell how far they came?!

I tend to use WoT curse words in my head or sometimes outloud.... :P

:) I’ll never forget the first time I said “Light!”

I was walking into my office and stopped dead in my tracks to laugh at myself. I use it all the time now. :D

And the only real rules you need to know Cockta are don't be a jerk and don't spoil book endings for people.  Lmao, that's all the reading you need do ^^  Welcome to DM!

That is my own golden rule. Never be a jerk, and of course a troll, and a spammer, but I consider them as jerks as well. As for spoilers, how do I know how far a guy or girl has come in the books? What if they don't tell how far they came?!

Well in this particular discussion area we warn readers to be more wary because of that very reason, but I'm more talking about other books series, like the ending to Harry Potter, etc.  It's fine to make comparisons and such, just warn people there will be spoilers ahead of time. ;)

It has lead to my wife laughing hysterically at me for all of the times I have read these books,all of the time I spend on line, and hours I spend discussing it with my daughter and son-in-law.  We've been married for 30 years, and so I don't feel threatened, and it's nice to be able to keep her amused.

All great posts. made me laugh. Especially the bending of truth and the curse/light ones. All my respect to the marine. good luck to the writer, Rjs is a great role model for writing. Glad to see everyone has/is enjoying the books as much as i have. thanks for the replies on my first post.   

All great posts. made me laugh. Especially the bending of truth and the curse/light ones.

Just you wait...it will happen to you one day! ;)

Probably to biggest influence RJ has had through me is to spread the word about amyloids. Two years ago, almost no one around me had any idea who he was, by the saddest Sept ever all my friends, family and most of my acquaintances knew who RJ was, and all about his disease. He brought knowledge everywhere he went.

It still seems a little strange to me that I can miss someone, that I never even met, soooooo much :(

Hardest thing for me was grieving alone. None of my family/friends read his work. Sept was harder for me than waiting for his books. Altogether he brought joy more than sadness. Thanks RJ. He made me laugh at myself and his stories. Cant thank him enough. His world was a growing experience for me as well as an escape. GREAT AUTHOR!

The WoT world has brought much fascination and joy during some of the darker periods of my life. In my opinion, the WoT world is the BEST imaginary universe ever created. I can almost smell the filth of the Rahad or feel the heat in the Aiel desert. I wish I was really there!

No problem....guess that opens the door to another way RJ has influenced me. I SUCKED at geography in school, but having to paint the pictures in my head (and having such a nice map to go by) I can remember the geography of Randland much better than our own :D

Guest Dreadlord

For me the series has given me a lot of inspiration. I am an aspiring writer and Wheel of Time has taught me so much about writing, way more than any other fantasy I have read. I would say the biggest thing I have learned on the writing front is that the protagonist cant do everything by themselves. Rand cant kill all the Forsaken by himself, and cant lead all the major assaults, etc and I think it is brilliant how the other characters begin to develop in order to be capable of such tasks.

Another way Wheel of Time has influenced me is whenever I meet someone new who reads fantasy, I always ask if theyve read Wheel of Time befoee any of my other favourites (like Raymond E Feists Riftwar saga and the followups, and the Shannara books). I am always eager to recommend Wheel of Time to people who read, I could rand and rave about the series for hours.

Archived