DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dying Man in Egwene's Dream?

Safia al-Maaz

EGWENE DREAMING: A man lay dying in a narrow bed, and it was important that he not die, yet outside a funeral pyre was being built, and voices raised songs of joy and sadness. [ACOS: 10, Unseen Eyes, 203]

I'm just throwing this out here as a stray thought.  Has anybody thought that since Egwene did not recognize the man, it may just be a representation of what the world is currently going through.  Granted, there is a good chance that is actually IS Rand, but what if she did not recognize him for a reason?  The dying man could represent the fight against the DO, or Rand's cause, and it's current state of failure because of all the division in the world and the fact that Rand is separated from everybody he needs, ie Perrin and Mat.  The pyre could be a representation of what is destroying the cause, and the songs of joy and sadness could be the people supporting whomever they support.

I don't particularly think this, but it's an interesting point I think.  Any comments?

It could be, but I don't know if there is any other indication that it could be them besides speculation.  Bashere has another viewing by Min that hints it could be him, and Rand of course is an obvious choice... But I am convinced none of the Two Rivers boys are going to die because whatever happens to one happens to the other, and I know for a fact Mat is going to live, otherwise RJ would not have said he wanted to write a book in the future about Mat and Tuon. 

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

Just a thought, it may be Perrin or Mat dying also. I think it said somewhere that they needed to be with Rand at TG.

But doesn't she always realise when she sees one one of the three?

I mean, she saw a wolf before she knew Perrin was a little off and instantly knew/thought it was him...

Huh! Something bad is going to happen to Bashere? Please give me some info!

Min has a viewing that if Bashere dies or turns against Rand it would be very bad for Rand. Beyond that we know that Perrin and Faile will end up with the Broken Crown (again per to Min's viewings), and for that to happen both Tenobia and Bashere must die.

Furthermore we have the building confrontation with the borderlanders. They've been left unaddressed for too many books, as have the Aes Sedai with them. Trouble is brewing there--probably the next 'Rand will be hurt by women who can channel'. And since Perrin is heading north to where the Borderlanders are, also probably the second 'Perrin will need to be there or Rand will be hurt'. viewing as well.

The full theory is that the thirteen Aes Sedai are those responsible for freeing Taim--they could not return to the Tower with it broken, and turned north, and would have come into the borderlands at exactly the time the borderlanders were gathering. When Rand goes to them they try to take him, and harm him in the doing. During the ensuing fight Bashere and Tenobia both end up dead, and Perrin in some way intervenes ending the fight.

There's also a suspicion the Bashere is a Darkfriend but you'll have to ask someone for the evidence because I forget at the moment.  I must say though that it does make sense.  Too my mind one or a few more close compatriots of Rand need to turn out to be darkfriends ala Ingtar.  There needs to be at least one more, Elza or any other that Verin compelled doesn't count because they're not key advisors.

Furthermore we have the building confrontation with the borderlanders. They've been left unaddressed for too many books, as have the Aes Sedai with them. Trouble is brewing there--probably the next 'Rand will be hurt by women who can channel'.

Any more attacks on Rand by channelers prior to TG or any kidnapping of any major character is going to drive me NUTS!!!

I hope Rand isn't brainless enough to go to the borderlanders directly. Also, about the borderlanders- they have no brains at all. They shifted their military strength from the north for no reasonable reason with TG looming ahead! And they KNOW that TG is almost upon them! What kind of ruler would do that? I expect to see a good role for the Borderlander armies in AMOL and a satisfactory reason WHY so many men had to be brought just to confront the Dragon Reborn.

``Confront?  Or, join?''

Both, I think, in that order. They are not certain that he is the DR, but if he is, they want to add their army to his. Also they want to know what he is doing in the South, when the last battle will surely be in the North, at or near Shayol Ghul. If there is a good reason for him to be South of the Borderlands, then their forces might help him resolve a confrontation, with the Seanchan, say, and thus help him get back on his way North more quickly. This is sheer speculation, but the few remarks they make in the discussion with Elayne suggest something like this.

We have to remember that the borderlanders don't know everything. To their minds Rand has been stumbling around in the south playing politics when the true battle, the battle he was born to fight has been virtually ignored. They have no knowledge of the Forsaken controlling southern nations, no nothing to the frictions with the Tower other than rumour.

Them coming south from our point of view is stupid, from theres thought it was nessasary. From their perspective they need to force Rand to turn his attention to the Shadow. I imagine they'll learn better soon.

Archived