DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nicola's foretelling

benr

So like the "edge of a blade" we just don't know what the boat has to do with anything?

The 'edge of the blade' is a metaphor for the precarious balance on which the future hangs--a see-saw set on a sharp point that clearly could not retain the balance, as like to tip the world to destruction as to save it.

As for the boat, it could merely be a metaphor too of the journey they take together, that they are linked in the journey of their lives--since indeed, as lovers, they would be. Or it could possibly be a reference to the funeral pier Egwene references in her dream of a dying man that must not die--funeral piers were often made on water, and set away.

PS to benr:  Thanks for starting this up again the other night.  Now I'm going to have to go through them all again.  I'm figuring I'll have been through twice more before AMOL comes out.

I listen to the audiobooks at work. I just listened to that part yesterday, and last night listened to a part about Egwene's Dreaming.  I can't tell how far after the foretelling it was, except that it was within 5 hours audiotime.  Egwene has a dream about Elayne, Min, and Avienda on a boat with Rand's corpse. Perhaps they give him a burial at sea?

the lion sword - Elayne will rule on the Lion Throne, and isn't Galad the First Prince of the Sword?  Perhaps it also simply means that Elayne has the heart of a lion and is a warrior (swords often depict warriors)

the dedicated spear - Aviendha.  Dedicated "Aiel" and I would think it obvious that she used to be a Maiden of the Spear, as well as the fact that the Aiel war with spears.

she who sees beyond - Min, who has the ability to "see" beyond what other people can. 

Again, perhaps individually these could be interpreted differently but grouped together it seems obvious that it's the three girls.

i wondered more if the boat and "he who lives" wasn't Mat?  didn't Mat receive an answer from the Aelfinn that said in order for him to live, he had to die?  And in order to save Moiraine, doesn't he have to take a boat to the Tower of Genjhi?

just wondering.  It seems to me that the boat part and the girls part are different parts of the Fortelling and not necessarily connected.

i wondered more if the boat and "he who lives" wasn't Mat?  didn't Mat receive an answer from the Aelfinn that said in order for him to live, he had to die?  And in order to save Moiraine, doesn't he have to take a boat to the Tower of Genjhi?

just wondering.  It seems to me that the boat part and the girls part are different parts of the Fortelling and not necessarily connected.

"The lion sword, the diedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives." What on earth about that makes you think the boat part and the girls part are unconnected? It tells us who the three on the boat are, and he who is deaad yet lives is part of the same sentence. Also, Mat has already done the "die and live again" that was prophesied (to live you must die is Rand). Also, even if Mat does take a boat to the ToG it won't have those three on it, will it?

I agree totally with Ares here. They are very obviously all connected. And there is no sense whatsoever in the idea that Mat could be involved here since Rand's babes are in it.

The 'edge of the blade' is a metaphor for the precarious balance on which the future hangs--a see-saw set on a sharp point that clearly could not retain the balance, as like to tip the world to destruction as to save it.

True. I stated so before. People are linking this 'edge' thing to every other sword that pops up in the books. I think that is almost hallucination. Just sit back a minute and think about this and everyone will see that Luckers is right about this. Is is a popular metaphor that has been used in writing since practically the dawn of writing and is very effective at building suspense.

RAND AL THOR, Luckers, (and most everyone else) - it would appear you are correct.  I was hoping someone could see something I couldn't; the foretelling was so specific in everything else that I thought the last must also be specific.  Seems it wasn't.

Archived