DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eurovision Song Contest - General Discussion

Corki

Well, here is a thread for general discussion about the Eurovision Song Contest. Feel free to chat about previous competitions, previous winners, views for the forthcoming competition this year, why you love or hate the ESC - basically anything and everything about the contest.

If you know nothing about the Eurovision Song Contest, don't hesitate to ask, and we Europeans will be more than happy to help out.

So feel free to start discussing Eurovision!

Yeah, what Kara said... who is the UK entry this year? Not that it matters... I only watch it for Terry's commentary and for a giggle at just how awful they can make the entries and costumes!!

Oh wow, seriously? He has an amazing voice!! We might actually stand a chance if the song is decent... he so should have won X Factor that year.

Edit: Listened to it and feel quite hopeful now!! It's not cheesy, he looks and sounds cool, it's modern, it's catchy and danceable.... yeah, better than we've seen for a while in the UK entries!

Nothing i tell ya!

The feathered fowls of this world shall take their place at the pinnacle of modern music and bring it kicking and squawking into the 21st Century!

>.>

*breaks out the Irish flag and the Guinness*

Oh you know who i'm supporting - even got a proper Eurovision party down at a Bar i can occasionly be seen behind. Lets put it like this - we're assigning countries and stocking up on the Gin... :D

Well, Sweden were favourites last year with a much better song, and we saw how that turned out...

I personally hope Swedens song does not even make it from the semi finals, since it is an artist I would be happy to never hear from again. And also because we need a new approach towards the Eurovision. The rest of Europe seems to be growing less impressed woth the well produced ABBA-esque songs we almost always send, preferably with a tall and blond female vocalist.

So please, whatever you do, do not vote for Sweden!

A good point.

Well, at this moment in time, I am unsure if I can watch the grand final on Saturday as I can't stream it onto this laptop. I think I will have to take my broken one (where I know I have the required download) to be fixed over the next few days.

At least I can watch the two semi-finals online via BBC3.

Well it was interesting to see such worldwide popular artists in competition like ABBA, Katrina and the Waves, and Celine Dion(I thought she was Canadien??).  And I know there has been a lot of talk about the joke that the competition has become...but watching the compilation winners clip, at least the winners (Maybe except 2006&2007) appear to be good songs/singers(Barring the fact that I have no idea what the lyrics in the songs are about).

Yeap. And going back a few years, Sandie Shaw and Sir Cliff Richard have entered for the UK.

2006 was Lordi - Finnish monster rock music. It was extremely different, hence why it won.

And 2007 was Serbia, which was song in Serbian. That explains why you didn't understand the lyrics. If I remember correctly, "molitva" translates as "prayer". There are certain languages that can be sung at Eurovision. You can sing the song in your native language, or in French, English or Italian. I am not sure if there are other languages available.

And nationality isn't always everything. I know there have been examples where of non-natives taking part for a country. I can't remember any of the top of my head, but it happens.

Yep it happens Corki.

Poland will be represented by Isis Gee - who was born in USA, and only recently moved to Poland (she married a polish guy). She isn't a native speaker and will sing in English. I do not know if it's good or bad, but she was chosen by polish jury and they gave her maximum score during qualification process. I hope she'll do a great job.

She is through to the final on Saturday. She has a ballady-opera like song. I quite liked it. I also thought her voice was very good. However, I don't see the song challenging Sweden, Iceland, Ukraine or Albania, the top 4 songs in my eyes. But of course, I could be totally wrong! lol!

Doesn't seem to be, judging by the names that have appeared over the years. A lot of the artists have been professional recording artists already. The song entered for the UK this year is the main track on Andy Abrahams' new album which is due for release shortly, he co-wrote the song and he's already had album releases.

As to Celine Dion, she's French Canadian... wasn't it the French entry she sang?

EDIT: Never mind, I see it was the Swiss entry lol.

Tay is correct. Most countries send a big artist in their country. A few years back, t.A.T.u., the controversal "lesbian kiss" duet from Russia, entered and came quite high. Ruslana, the Ukrainian winner, is quite a large star. As I said earlier, the UK has sent in big names in the past (Sir Cliff Richard and Sandi Shaw). I don't know why the UK doesn't anymore - maybe they think it is a step in the wrong direction.

Archived