DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

here, kitty kitty!

F Horn of Valere

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, that's interesting. I've started using the blue and white crystal variety of litter and I like it so much better than the normal stuff. It's easier to scoop and everything. But it's not flushable. In your apartment, Frenchie, you might want to look into that, too. Just a thought, of course. It depends on your septic system...

I don't think the crystals are, but I think I saw Arm & Hammer had a flushable litter at the grocery store tonight. I think I'd try that one first. A&H is usually pretty good with odor control.

Horn darlin, I would say in an apartment the flushable stuff will cause you problems...and the clumping stuff is more tidy as well...

Now havn't seen it mentioned but I will, are you going to keep this baby inside? What about declawing her? How much do you value your speakers, furniture etc? This is a cat expense..damage from clawing...just something to think about....*smiles*

Ohh yeah, declawing. Sounds like she's staying inside, so I would look into front declawing. You don't want to do it when they're too young though.

They don't allow this in Germany, so a male kitten I raised there that my husband's friend found, was fun for awhile... lol. We had to give him away anyway because he was somewhat agressive towards the baby when I had him. He was a nice cat, just thought I was his mommy and was a little too curious with the baby.

When Im talking about corn im realling talking about ground corn husks. Its what they sell it for at the store and yes it still decomposes but at this stage its very slow and you wouldnt notice anything unless you kept it around for years, especially if you keep it dry. But thats the way they sell it at the store. They also sell wheat for this same purpose. But i didnt care for the wheat, it was too messy.

As far as declawing goes. Id advise against it. Neither of my cats have been declawed and im not gonna do it. Course im lucky in that they dont shred, except the toilet paper on occasion. Its rather inhumane if you think about it, and amazingly enough im actualy considering the humanity of doing something to something. Basically all declawing is is that they chop off the cats toes at the first joint. But if you decalw her and she ever escapes and goes running around town she wont be able to protect herself or climb very well.

I've thought about the humane aspect with declawing, but I'm still not sure. Of course it's not a pleasant procedure I'm sure. But my cats have never shown any problem/discomfort/stress after getting it done. They've always been completely themselves immediately after and able to walk/play/etc. My one cat even zipped halfway up a tree no problem when we got back from doing it and fell off the tree when she realized she couldn't stick, lol. I only get the front done so if for some reason they get outside, they have the back for defense. But it's very very rare I've had one get out that was a house cat.

If you're lucky and can get them to only scratch their posts, then that's great. :) I have never had that luck. :( No matter how much I would show them where and praise them when they did, it wouldn't stick. They've always used furniture. :?

I will have its claws dipped in this neat stuff that is like wax, only stays on and doesn't fall off. I have no furniture I care about, though I'm hoping she'd stay away from my speakers.. they are small, so maybe that will be good enough.

I don't think I could declaw her.. I cried when my parents did that to our cat ages ago- but if I did, I would only do the front. Otherwise, I'd just dip them and/or clip them with clippers when they get sharp.

You know they have caps for their nails now, right? You don't have to dip them in wax, you just fit the little caps on them. My parents and my sister do that. Mitch is far too good a boy to go sharpening his claws on something. Thank HEAVEN I trained that out of him!

This is how you know Frenchie hasn't been in Georgia long enough. He didn't call it Coke. *grins* Apparently, little brother, you're still safe from that dreaded southern disease... ;)

Archived