DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Movie] GI JOE

Segurant

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-03-20-gi-joe-preview_N.htm

Say hello to Snake Eyes — just don't expect him to say anything back.

joex.jpg

This is the first character reveal from next August's G.I. Joe movie — the mute, faceless, black-clad ninja commando, among the most famous of the good guys from the 1980s incarnation of the decades-old Hasbro toy line.

Just as Paramount breathed new life into the Transformers franchise last summer, the studio is hoping to do the same to this sci-fi soldier series about a team of military experts battling the villainous Cobra organization.

G.I. Joe refers to the team, not any one person, and Snake Eyes is its mysterious lone wolf. In the movie, shooting now and set for August 2009, this fearsome figure is played by Ray Park (Darth Maul in the first Star Wars prequel).

"He's the world's greatest ninja, but he's also next-generation. He's not afraid to use a sword one second, and a split-second later he's pulling out his Glock," says director Stephen Sommers (The Mummy and Van Helsing). "His chief nemesis is arguably the world's other great ninja, Storm Shadow. The two grew up together, were blood brothers and now are mortal enemies."

Channing Tatum (Step Up) plays all-American team leader Duke. Rachel Nichols (Alias) plays the crossbow-wielding Scarlett, Marlon Wayans is paratrooper Ripcord and Dennis Quaid is the commander, Hawk. On the evil-doer side, Sienna Miller plays the raven-haired Baroness, Christopher Eccleston is Destro, the arms dealer who hides behind a silver mask, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt (3rd Rock From the Sun, Brick) plays multiple roles, including the Cobra Commander.

Depending on which decade you grew up in, the name G.I. Joe can mean very different things. Hasbro initiated the G.I Joe line as 12-inch dolls in the 1960s, with generic figures representing the U.S. military branches.

The franchise was relaunched in the '80s with smaller action figures, new heroes featured in comic books and a popular after-school cartoon.

Transformers producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura also is overseeing this project. He says the appeal then, as now, is broad, across race and even gender. (G.I. Joe was one of the few toys for boys that had female characters.)

"There are quite a few characters in it, and almost certainly a character in which an audience member can see themselves, or want to be," he says.

Sommers stresses that the movie is an origins story, so his challenge is to explain why the bad guy wears a metal mask, why Snake Eyes doesn't talk and other strange things kids took for granted. "For people who know nothing about it, it'll make sense," Sommers says. "And to people who love this stuff, it'll show where they all came from."

So, are they going to have a PSA during the credits, finishing off with "Now you know... and knowing is half the battle!"?

Don't forget enough laser blasts to make the Star Wars movies prostrate in shame, yet no one ever getting hit, much less killed!

I saw on IMDB that Snake Eyes, the most bad@$$ @$$kickingly cool member of the Joe team, is being played by Ray Park, the same guy who was Darth Maul in Episode 1.

And if you have Snake Eyes you need to have Storm Shadow, no word on which side he is on, and he's being played by some Japanese guy.

Storm Shadow is being played by Byung Hun Lee (Hero).

I can't wait to see Chris Eccleston as Destro. The kid from 3rd Rock as Cobra Commander, that's hilarious, though.

And by the by, Arnold Vosloo as Zartan. That's a win right there.

Interesting casting choices. I particularly like the kid from 3rd Rock playing Cobra Commander. Although, are they going to get the voice actor from the TV series to reprise the speaking part for CC? Just like how Transformers wouldn't have worked even as little as it did without Peter Cullen's iconic voice. What was that guy's name, anyway?

*goes to IMDb to check*

Oh wait...bummer. Looks like Chris Latta died in 1994. Nothing like a cerebral hemorrhage to ruin a guy's career. Do you suppose that's why they hired a different guy to play Starscream?

Peter Cullen was just a sop to the fans. Same as Megatrashheap's head getting redesigned after getting leaked to the internet.

I figure Levitt's voice is going to get processed anyway, if not dubbed in. And considering the character, you're never going to see his face anyway. Kind of like Shredder in the first two Turtle movies; you saw his face once and that was it.

• 2 weeks later...
Brendan Fraser has landed the cameo role of 'Gung Ho' in Stephen Sommers big screen live-action adaptation of "G.I. Joe" reports Latino Review.

According to the site, the scene is question is a training sequence at 'The Pit'. Fraser has already shot his part as the tattooed Cajun marine gunnery sergeant.

Also an offer has apparently been made to The Rock for the role of Navy SEAL Hector 'Shipwreck' Delgado.

Although I will most likely go see this movie, I have a lot of problems with this film.  Below is my scorecard.....

Marlon Wayans as Ripcord.................-2 pts

Stalker not being in this movie..........-4 pts

Sienna Miller as Baroness................ 0 pts

Baroness is an American..................-5 pts

Channing Tatum as Duke...................-6 pts

Rachel Nichols as Scarlett...............+2 pts

Ray Park as Snake Eyes...................+4 pts

The kid from 3rd Rock as CC..............-4 pts

The Rock in this movie...................+2 pts

Brendan Fraiser in this movie............+2 pts

The Rock as Shipwreck....................-4 pts

Shipwreck is a SEAL......................-8 pts

Fraiser as Gung Ho.......................-8 pts

Dennis Quaid as Hawk.....................+6 pts

Hawk is a "Patton meets Hefner"..........-6 pts

CC & Duke are roomates..................-10 pts

Taking away the American

in Real American Hero...................-20 pts

Score: FAIL!

Still, I will be in line with the rest of us to buy my ticket and the DVD.  I am sure it will be a lot of eye candy and I like Summers as a filmmaker.  If he can make Brendan Fraiser an action star, he can do anything.  But as one who was a big fan as a kid, there are a lot of things they could have done to make it a better story and still a movie that sells tickets. 

-Mynd

The Wandering Gleeman

Apparently it's Cover Girl.

All this sculpted muscle and monochrome coloring makes me kind of uneasy. Especially the monochrome. That's like the antithesis of the 80's whence this movie has its origins. They all look rather fake, actually. Not helped much by the fact that none of these people look like they actually belong wearing any kind of combat gear.

Still, despite not looking anything like Scarlett (other than the red hair), I'm digging Rachel Nichols' costume (in a totally out-of-context way).

I think she's a great Scarlett, and great choice for Snake Eyes too.  The rest is kinda....meh..... I mean, does Sienna Miller even know where she is let alone what movie she is in?

Yeah, it looks like they are trying for the X-Men thing, ditching their trademark uniforms for this Mission Impossible battle armor.  At least Scarlett has her crossbow.  I await this bastardization with tense anticipation.  Next, it will be the Thundercats and M.A.S.K.  Weee...... (kicks rocks)

Yeah, and they cast Zartan well....but I am not sure about his role...is he just Destro's lackey?

I am one of the few that think Marlon Wayans is going to be good for the film, but he should have been Stalker not the potato eating Guinness drinking Ripcord. 

I also here that Destro doesn't get the mask until the end of the film. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived