DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Verin Mathwin

dreadlord

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We probably never will know anything more about it.  I suspect it was just something added to further set Verin apart from the average Aes Sedai.

Some have speculated that is something to do with channeling, since I think it is outlawed in Far Madding, but we don't have anything concrete at this point. 

seems a bit strange :P i think you are thinking about Tyre.

Far madding has ter'angreal that prevent woman and men from channeling inside the city, seems to me that its a bit over the top to outlaw it on top of that :P

Maybe "outlawed" was the wrong term, but when Nyn's channeling is detected, guards are sent to investigate and I am sure she would have been detained if found.  That is why Cad's gets her out of there and tells her what a fool she was.  They may have just banished her from the city but they may have held her or arrested her, I am not sure.  I am sure they would have wanted to find out the reason she could channel.   So basically she would have been arrested or detained - that is what I meant by saying "outlawed".  

Well, there is the fact that Nynaeve's channeling did disrupt a feeling of safety that was centuries old.  It was probably good for them.  We have nothing to indicate that Verin has a Well or that she ever had one though.  Without that, she couldn't have channeled.

And don't bother starting with her channeling in the stedding in The Great Hunt.  She didn't.  We have plenty of examples that people who know what to look for can tell with a simple touch when a soul has been ripped from a body.

Indeed. And if she had channeled the Counsels wouldn't have reacted with such surprise.

Aes Sedai get into trouble with the law some times in Far Madding. Romanda mentions her own experiences at one stage... it happens. I doubt it will be important, i think it was just one of those character moments RJ throws in to flesh out the story.

Guest Dashara

I think that in Far Madding all women who can channel are likely exiled to Tar Valon, so I'm not sure it was important.  I don't think she could have done anything in Far Madding with the one power, because of the ter'angreal, but then maybe she did something in Tel'aran'rhiod and was exiled for it.  Or perhaps she was studying some ter'angreal and meddled with them too much?  Damaged one?  Or discovered something about them that Far Madding doesn't want Tar Valon to know?  She is such a mysterious character.  I hope all her loose threads are tied up in the final book.

Some have speculated that is something to do with channeling, since I think it is outlawed in Far Madding, but we don't have anything concrete at this point. 

seems a bit strange :P i think you are thinking about Tyre.

Far madding has ter'angreal that prevent woman and men from channeling inside the city, seems to me that its a bit over the top to outlaw it on top of that :P

Actually, it does make sense, in a way. How did Tear enforce its no channeling ban(pre-Rand) without such a device? But regardless, they would have reacted badly to Nynaeve had they caught her, as she was a threat since she could channel where such was "impossible".

I think that in Far Madding all women who can channel are likely exiled to Tar Valon, so I'm not sure it was important. 

This brings up a good point, how would they ever know if a woman could channel in Far Madding, since they cannot reach the Source?  I wonder if there are women living in Far Madding that have never left that were born with the spark or that can learn that have never manifested the channeling ability.  How would they determine if any women in Far Madding could channel?

Any Aes Sedai passing through would notice another woman able to channel through their afinity and scoop her up.  An experienced channeler wouldn't need to touch the source to tell another woman can channel, provided she's manifested the ability, she'd just need to pay attention.

Far Madding is hardly a prison.  I'm sure people come and go all the time and that would include any sparkers born there.  Cadsuane seems pretty well known in FM.  Maybe there are native Aes Sedai that stop through there on occasion for that very reason.

How did Tear enforce its no channeling ban(pre-Rand) without such a device?

Same way Amadicia did. Lots of archers to shoot at anyone who visibly channels. As various characters are fond of saying, "an arrow in the back kills Aes Sedai just as surely as anyone else".

Any Aes Sedai passing through would notice another woman able to channel through their afinity and scoop her up.  An experienced channeler wouldn't need to touch the source to tell another woman can channel, provided she's manifested the ability, she'd just need to pay attention.

It wouldn't work that way. Only a woman who had sparked would attract that sort of notice, and no women who live in Far Madding would spark--to do so requires actually touching the Source.

Romanda and Verin both specify that they left to seek adventure--and i have a faint memory of Cadsuane intimating the same thing at one stage.

And don't bother starting with her channeling in the stedding in The Great Hunt.  She didn't.  We have plenty of examples that people who know what to look for can tell with a simple touch when a soul has been ripped from a body.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm interested in what you think these examples are....off the top of my head, I can't come up with any. I cannot recall any first person POV where we know unequivocally that the person isn't channeling....she tears her hand back as if touching the absence of a soul. how can she do that without using the power?

If I missed some big things here, i'd love to know! thanks

No, she only says that there might still be an outstanding warrent for Verin Mathewin even after 40 years. You might be thinking of Romanda, whose maid saved her after she fell afoul of the law in Far Madding following a failed plan.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm interested in what you think these examples are....off the top of my head, I can't come up with any. I cannot recall any first person POV where we know unequivocally that the person isn't channeling....she tears her hand back as if touching the absence of a soul. how can she do that without using the power?

Here is how I related what Verin did in the stedding.....

Early in the books, it is stated that Aes Sedai get certian benefits or abilities from being able to touch the source.  They don't have to be touchning the source or using the power for those abilities to be used.  One of them is to be able to sense shadow spawn...even warders get this ability and they can't use the power.  I saw what Verin did akin to the same sort of thing.  I would think the sensing of shadowspawn would also work in a stedding...if shadowspawn ever dared to enter. 

Another ability that is mentioned is for an Aes Sedai who has healed someone can know where that person in when they are close - feel their presence.  They don't have to be using the power for that either.

I just think there are a few things like what Verin did on in the stedding that don't require the power at all, but are more acute in those who are able to channel. 

Here is how I related what Verin did in the stedding.....

Early in the books, it is stated that Aes Sedai get certian benefits or abilities from being able to touch the source.  They don't have to be touchning the source or using the power for those abilities to be used.  One of them is to be able to sense shadow spawn...even warders get this ability and they can't use the power.  I saw what Verin did akin to the same sort of thing.  I would think the sensing of shadowspawn would also work in a stedding...if shadowspawn ever dared to enter. 

Another ability that is mentioned is for an Aes Sedai who has healed someone can know where that person in when they are close - feel their presence.  They don't have to be using the power for that either.

I just think there are a few things like what Verin did on in the stedding that don't require the power at all, but are more acute in those who are able to channel. 

Well, again, as I said the sensation of someone who has lost there soul is something anyone can feel. It requires neither the ability to channel nor active channeling to sense. The essentially feel really cold. We learn this through Berelain when she tells Perrin that Annoura said he felt like one who had lost his soul, and then goes on to say that she had felt it herself and describes the feeling of coldness.

why is here an outstanding warrant on Verin? she is black ajah, it could be as simple as sneaking in and tampering with the guardian, trying to study it secretly.

I dont like Far Madding, its a city on an island. Sounds like a Tar Valon wannabe to me

Firstly, Verin is not Black Ajah. Between her thoughts when she went to poison Cadsuane, then didn't, her thoughts when she fought Graendal, her compelling the Aes Sedai to assist Rand and her mental wriggling when she was lying to Beldeine we know this as a fact.

Other than that no one knows why there is a warrent for Verin, though Aes Sedai running afoul of the law in Far Madding is not an uncommon thing.

Thanks for clarifing that for me Luckers. I knew it happened to an Aes Sedai in Far Madding sometime. Verin is probably the most interesting character in the story. She is a master of manipulation, and considering shes Aes Sedai thats saying something. She is a brown but acts like a blue too. She knows more than she lets on to anyone and I think she'll have a large part in AMOL.

Archived