DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A lot of stuff... new reader

S i n k

First, before I forget. I just wanted to ask if anyone else notices the similarities between Eragon and the Eye of the World. I read Eragon (which I realize was written 13 years after Eye of the World) last year, and I picked up this series earlier this week. I have noticed extreme similarities that I won't list, but if you'd read Eragon you'd see it too.

I started reading this series 4 days ago, because my friend recommended it. I started it, and 50 pages into it I decided that I probably needed to go pick up the next one while I was out so that I didn't have to go get it this weekend. I knew I would want to read it. So I currently own the first 3 books. I'm about half-way finished with Eye of the World.

When does all the stuff about the wheel, the eye of the world, the breaking of the world, etc. become clear? I have the gist of the ideas, but other than that it hasn't been very clear as of yet. Just wondering.

The last thing for now is... I'm interested in knowing how long it takes you guys to read one of these bricks... er, books.

Thanks for your responses!!!

Welcome to the world of the wheel. The first read is the second best read, enjoy it!

The backstory you are referring to (the Breaking of the world etc.) will becoming increasingly clearer until around book 3, where you will very likely have the most important information. Then there will be dribbles occasionally, which flesh out the things you already know. The Wheel is, as you know, a metaphor for time (that is to say, there is no actual wheel), as time in this universe goes in cycles and people are reincarnated again and again.

I pace myself at about 100 pages a day, so about a week to finish a book.

The Wheel should already be pretty clear to you, the breaking of the world will become more clear as the books progress, but a pretty good idea of it is probably around "the Great Hunt", as for the Eye of the World, well keep reading that's the end of the first one.

Have fun, these books are GREAT!

I started reading this series when Eye of the World first came out (was a fan of RJ's Conan stories, so I looked up what else he was writing) Since then, I have raised kids, divorced and went thru a few jobs. Through it all I have stayed a loyal fan of the series and author. Many, many of us here have read all the books several times, the story is that deep and hints/clues don't reveal themselves as such until several books later in many cases. The final book is being written as we speak and will hopefully, be available in two years or so. The full implications of most of the story lines don't ever become clear, though you see through the fog a little better with each successive book. The last book will clear up many of those story lines and some few (minor ones) will be left "open" to reader interpretation and/or later "outrigger" novels.

Be wary reading these forums, as many topics and posts will contain a lot of spoilers. If I was just starting the series, I wouldn't want to read ANY spoilers until I caught up to everyone else in these forums. Welcome and enjoy your stay-hope it's a long one!

Lucky you Sink. The first time is wonderful :wink:

Things will become clearer the longer you read. Eventually you will know the history of Randland and the Wheel as good as the history of the real world, perhaps better. ^^

And as for how long it takes for me to read a book. I don't know: when I'm reading I exist in a universe outside time. :lol:

I pace myself at about 100 pages a day' date=' so about a week to finish a book.

The Wheel should already be pretty clear to you, the breaking of the world will become more clear as the books progress, but a pretty good idea of it is probably around "the Great Hunt", as for the Eye of the World, well keep reading that's the end of the first one.

Have fun, these books are GREAT![/quote']

I actually have paced myself at 100 pages/day as well.

The actual idea of the wheel is clear to me. But some things that are mentioned, are done so as if you already have a knowledge of them. I couldn't think of any more examples than the one I posted but I will soon.

Thank you guys for your warm welcome. Some other forums I've joined on other topics (not WOT) have not been nice to the "newbs"

Also... I'd still like to know what people think of the similarities between Eye of the World and Eragon. If anyone's interested, I'll make a comparison sheet somehow that shows them. But that might be stupid. Again, I'm not talking about the idea of the series, with the wheel and everything. But details pertaining only to the 1st book.

I think that is part of what is good about TWoT. The way the author does not introduce and explain concepts and background history before the story starts, but works out of the perspective of people who know these things, letting the reader find out as we go along. The Dragonmount completely confused me the first time, but also intrigued me completely. The prophetic epigrams directly following the prologue got me very intrigued, really was the cherry on the icing after the prologue. And then you are thrown into what is seemingly an entirely different story.

Rest assured everything will become increasingly clearer as you go on. I mean, part of the fun of the first read is to find out exactly what has happened in the past, with the Breaking, the Dragon and whatnot.

In addition, RJ said that he wanted to start readers off in familiar territory with the first part of TEotW, making it fairly Tolkienesque, before steering off into unfamiliar territory. I am guessing this is why Eragon (which I have not read) strikes you as familiar, because the first part of TEotW is a fairly conventional fantasy novel. It all gets better as you go on, though!

I think that is part of what is good about TWoT. The way the author does not introduce and explain concepts and background history before the story starts' date=' but works out of the perspective of people who know these things, letting the reader find out as we go along. The Dragonmount completely confused me the first time, but also intrigued me completely. The prophetic epigrams directly following the prologue got me very intrigued, really was the cherry on the icing after the prologue. And then you are thrown into what is seemingly an entirely different story.[/quote']

I like that about his style of writing as well. Even if it's not an interesting part of the book I'm still reading because I'm wondering WTF something means.

it took me a while to get into the language also, i was constantly looking up the glossary to remind myself who people were and what their titles meant...you'll get used to it, its part of the magic

8)

Eragon is loaded with plagerism. In fact, the only way I got through that god aweful book was by playing a game of "spot the plagerism." Not a unique idea in that damned waste of paper. *Cringe* That book was so bad it gave me nightmares.

Eragon is loaded with plagerism. In fact' date=' the only way I got through that god aweful book was by playing a game of "spot the plagerism." Not a unique idea in that damned waste of paper. *Cringe* That book was so bad it gave me nightmares.[/quote']

I really liked Eragon and Eldest. I think they were really good, aside from his terrible writing skills (which you can find more about if you search Google). If it's loaded with plageerism though, why doesn't RJ make a case out of it? He could really pull in a lot of money especially with this new Eragon movie under production.

The Sword of Truth series is worse, and he hasn't made a case of that either. The problem with both is that the ideas have been altered just enough that its very likely a plagerism charge wouldn't stick. It's like araphrasing soemthing, you know its still from that source, but you couldn't prove that they just didn't have the same thought.

Guest Majsju

When a new book comes out, I more or less read it from beginning to end, with just some small breaks for food and sleep. KOD took me two days.

Guest Egwene

Same as Majsju for me... and food and sleep... managed to cut some of that out when I read KoD.

S i n k, I have read Eragon and enjoyed it. Got Eldest but have not yet read it. In fact you reminded me to read it... hubby had it first and I forgot all about it.. Don't think I thought about similarities at the time so could not comment on that. But why should RJ sue these guys? He is big enough not to be threatened by them and if someone gets into fantasy by reading Eragon he'll probably end up with WoT eventually anyway...

Can't see where the idea of WoT actually turns up in the Sword of Truth. Good v evil, story of a quest, developement of younger character to become hero, magic powers... most of those are pretty basic story lines that go back to ancient myths, legends etc. Every other writer has used them before.

Unlike others, I actually really like it when there are cross references. For example the Elfes by being part of many books become much more real. If sections were just copied and pasted, that would be quite a different matter.

Great to hear from someone that has literally just started out with WoT. You will have a great time. And do read them for a second time as that really is the best read!!

And I'd go with rd2000. Avoid the book forum!!!! Having said that, the rest of the boards are fairly safe. (one or two stray threads to look out for though)...

Have fun

:wink:

Guest cwestervelt

The only Sword of Truth book I ever read was the first one, Wizard's First Rule. I didn't care for it enough the either re-read it or continue with the rest of the series. I can't say that I found it to have any particular similarity to The Wheel of Time but I did find that it wasn't very original. My impression 10 years of so ago was that he borrowed quite a bit from The Sword of Shannara. That was the original "Sword of Truth" to which I have any familiarity.

Eragon is loaded with plagerism. In fact' date=' the only way I got through that god aweful book was by playing a game of "spot the plagerism." Not a unique idea in that damned waste of paper. *Cringe* That book was so bad it gave me nightmares.[/quote']

I really liked Eragon and Eldest. I think they were really good, aside from his terrible writing skills (which you can find more about if you search Google). If it's loaded with plageerism though, why doesn't RJ make a case out of it? He could really pull in a lot of money especially with this new Eragon movie under production.

RJ can't sue them. It's like if someone made a story where the quest was to destroy a magical necklace forged by a Dark Lord, throwing it into the pits of a lava-spewing mountain, and most of the main characters were short people with hairy bodies. The Tolkien Estate couldn't sue. If entire paragraphs were borrowed, however, and there were lots and lots and lots of them, then there might be a plagerism charge.

I can't see how people could possibly like Eragon and Eldest. They're by far the worst fantasy novels I've ever read. The character development was very poor, the prose was a poor attempt at Tolkien's prose. I wouldn't mind if the plot was a cliché hero motiff, if it actually had new ideas. But it didn't. There was 0 depth to any of those books. Perhaps a kid might enjoy them...or the people who actually think Dragonlance novels are good.

Eggs, just off the top of my head for the sword of truth and WoT

rada'han = a'dam

sister of the light = Aes sedai]

Sister of the dark = black ajah

Keeper = Dark One

Creator = Creator

Mord Sith = Maidens of the Spear (in role and humour more then looks)

Blood fo the Fold = Children of the light

Han exercise = the void

Dark friends = darkfriends

Thats just off the top of my head and of course the similarities have lessened in recent times, but thats just because Terry Goodkind is copying Ayn Rand now instead of RJ

I'm only on book three of SoT but isnt it baneling=darkfriends (yay a chance to correct the great and powerful luckers)

100 pages A DAY!!!!! blood and bloody ashes let me itch my tonsils with a shotgun now. thats like an hours reading and only reading for an hour no thank you.

hi sink, welcome aboard. all i have to say is that if you went searching for book 2 (and 3?) when you were only 50 or so pages instead book1, then be prepared for an awesome trip through the series, and prepare to become a diehard fan:P

Guest Egwene

Having been reminded by S i n k, I picked up 'Eldest' yesterday and have now read it. And everyone who said anything about copying ideas is totally correct. I couldn't believe just how many things are taken over from other stories without much effort at disguise. Still enjoyed it though and wil get the next one when it comes out. Guess it shows I am still a kid at heart and I'll like the glass trinket as much as the diamond, as long as they both shine brightly :wink:

Still disagree on the SoT parallels though, Luckers. To say there is a good and a bad side and quote that as being copying, than you'd have to say RJ copied the Creator from the Bible and the DO is a direct descendant of the devil. I don't understand why you equate the Blood of the Fold to the Children of Light.

The stories are totally different and having read both of them several times over, I feel the overall feel of the series is very different from WoT.

hi sink' date=' welcome aboard. all i have to say is that if you went searching for book 2 (and 3?) when you were only 50 or so pages instead book1, then be prepared for an awesome trip through the series, and prepare to become a diehard fan:P[/quote']

I have books 1-4, and book 9 because it was only $4 and I couldn't pass it up :?

I have a more important question... a few days ago when I was reading I read these two parts. They comfused me but I couldn't get on and ask right then, but then I forgot.

The third paragraph of chapter 31 (play for your supper) reads:

"'I don't know what you're running from," he said with an anxious frown, 'and I don't want to. You understand? My family.' Abruptly the farmer had dug two long scarves out of his coat pocket and pushed the tangle of wool at them. 'It's not much, but here. Belong to my boys. They have others. You don't know me, understand? It's hard times.'"

...and then the exact same thing happens again in chapter 33. It's at the bottom of page 495 of the paperback version --- but I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about. Why does it do that?

Archived