DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A lot of stuff... new reader

S i n k

I kind of ignored it too, just wondered why the scarves were happening twice. Now I think it was quite clever by RJ. Before we knew it we were told they didn't die, as would have been expected, and reading the first paragraph of 34, RJ confirms it was intentional. This is the kind of stuff the rereads are for, only here it is more obvious, things happening closer together. RJ saying, read carefully.

this is the really confusing chapters 31-34, RJ writes that part at the beginning of chapter 31, because that's where Rand and Mat are at the time Perrin and Egwene are captured, he then flashes back a 3 days and starts telling the story chronologically (for the most part). He does the same thing again in Chapter 33 where he has Master Kinch drop them off and then flashes back to Mat and Rand leaving Four Kings.

Basically it goes like this Rand and Mat leave Whitbridge, they stay at farms including the Grinwell farm, finally they make it to Four Kings, they barely escape and spend the night under bushes, they then get a ride from Alpert Mull (who gives them the scarves), they then go to Market Sheran where they encounter Paiter, they then go to an unnamed village and meet the darkfriend woman, they catch a ride with Master Kinch, they pass through a village with Merchant guards, then they catch a ride with Almen Bunt. The whole journey takes 4 days. For more on this you can check out http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ This website has notes for every chapter in the books, so when you're done reading a chapter, if you're confused, chances are this site will help you. Note of caution though as some of the notes will spoil things later in the books, through cross-refrencing.

Thanks for that link! Should be extremely useful. I picked up on the chronological order of things, and that things were flashbacks but I didn't see anything suggesting that the scarve part was a flashback.

the scarves aren't given to them 33, they get the scarves from Mull, in 33 they're just leaving Kinch. 31 begins with them getting the scarves from Mull.

And as to S i n k, yeah it's hard to pick up because he doesn't make it obvious. It's just a paragraph break and your 2 days before.

Kadere, reading it I have to disagree. In 31 Rand just remember it. Later in 33 it happens, after Kinch but before Paitr.

But yea, it's hard to notice, I certainly didn't. Even though for one chapter the same happened in a Nynaeve pov before, approaching Whitebridge.

Edit: Confusing still :) , they're given them in 33 in the second flashback..

ok, because the scarves are SO important, here we go:

Chapter 31: "Abruptly the farmer had dug two long scarves out of his coat pocket and pused the tangle of wool at them. 'It's not much, but here. Belong to my boys. They have others. You don't know me, undertand? It's hard times.' Rand treasured teh scarf. The list of kindnesses he had made in his mind in the days since Whitebridge was a short one, and he did not believe it would get much longer."

This is where they get the scarfs, this is a flash back. At the end of the next page it says "It had not begun like this, their journey down the Caemlyn Road." Then we go back to them leaving Whitebridge.

In Chapter 33 they are now with Master Kinch, Master Kinch never says any of the things in the previous quote, nor does he exchange scarves. He tells them he has a farm 5 miles up the road where Darkfriends won't find them, and then Mat asks he what he knows of Darkfriends, so Kinch leaves. It then flashes back to Four Kings.

Later in the same chapter they run into Mull, Mull says, "'You understand? My family.' Suddenly he pulled two long, woolen scarves, dark and thick, out of his coat pocket. 'It's not much...'"

Mull is the one who gives them the scarves, then at the end of Chapter 33 they run into Kinch.

This is where they get the scarfs' date=' this is a flash back. At the end of the next page it says "It had not begun like this, their journey down the Caemlyn Road." Then we go back to them leaving Whitebridge. [/quote']

That alone makes it pretty obvious IMO. But... I didn't mean to start a debate, lol. Scarves.

But we have the full scene in 33, second part, after Rand and Mat's dreams when after going around a town after Four Kings Mull gives them a ride, and then the scarves. Then it happens real time,

"Alpert Mull was a stolid man, with a square face and square hands, both worn and grooved from hard work and worry, and he wanted someone to talk to. His cows had gone dry, his chickens had stopped laying, and there was no pasture worth the name. For the first time in memory he had had to buy hay, and half a wagon was all "old Bain" would let him have. He wondered whether there was any chance of getting hay on his own land this year, or any kind of crop.

"We never even saw you," Rand agreed as he took the scarves. "You are a good man. The best we've met in days."

The farmer looked surprised, then grateful. Gathering his reins, he turned his horses down the narrow lane. Before he completed the turn Rand was leading Mat on down the Caemlyn Road."

That must be seen as the point they are given them, in the second longer flashback, since then it happens real-time and not in memory, but yea, this isn't grounds to start The Great Scarf Debate. :lol:

Archived