DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A question about Psychology

Jelly

Heya Jelly :)

You don't need specific GCSE's to be a psychologist. You don't even need AS/A Levels, though you can do psychology at that level and I think a lot of psychology undergraduates have done it. You would need a degree to be a proper psychologist though- at the very least a Bsc.

You want to start looking at GCSE's and A Levels which are relevant though. A science would probably helpful- Chemistry or Biology (though if you're doing GCSE's you'll be doing them already). You can do psychology, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'd be wasting your time as you'd be repeating your material as you progressed. History, Geography- anything which shows you can remember facts and be analytical. Languages look great on any Uni application at any level.

Good Luck and I hope that gave you some stuff to think about :)

Psych programs (at least in the US) have their students learning statistics and analyzing data, and as you study, both in school and for your own education as a psychologist, you will be reading journal articles that spout lots of stats, and you'll need to know what they mean so you can figure out if the study was actually useful, or if they're presenting mediocre results in the most flattering way possible. I'd recommend being comfortable with highschool math and basic stats before you go to uni, so that you are not playing catch up when you get there.

Oh and I also advise looking at UCAS.

www.ucas.com

That's the University and College Admissions Service. I'm assuming that as you live in the UK, you're likely  to go to Uni here. If you Course Search for psychology you can look at what Grades different Unis require for you to get at A Level and see if they want any specific subjects.

*hugs*

Based on my admittedly brief experience of learning psychology, I recommend maths. One unit of A-level psychology is entirely based on statistics - it's called Research Methods and it concerns data handling, standard deviation etc. Maths will also teach you to be deeply suspicious of the ways psychological studies present their findings. ;) Repeat after me: correlation is not causation!

I don't know about England, but I'm almost done with my doctorate in clinical psychology here in the U.S.  Over here, requirements for licensure vary by state.  Most require you to get a doctorate, then spend at least one year accruing postdoctoral hours before you can take the national boards and the state boards.  The American Psychological Association has resources that explain everything for us, so I would imagine that the British Psychological Society would explain everything you need to know on their website:  http://www.bps.org.uk/

Archived