DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Verin/Jain Farstrider connection

cloglord

That is the assumption.  If I remember right the Aes Sedai actually consdiered this when it came down to saving Mat or letting him die from the taint of the dagger. 

I don't think that Mat blew the horn is common knowledge though.  Even Ishy thought Rand blew the horn.  So most folks I think assume its Rand who is linked to the Horn.

• 3 months later...

Hmm you know, I know Verin has a Warder and all, but what if Noal/Jain is her secret Warder? There you go, explains all her bird-like listening.  :D

*is tired and bored and decided to post something random*

Say, isn't Verin's Warder described as being some old dude too? Okay I know Noal doesn't exactly have that stature about him but... eh. Ok I really am tired and I haven't read the books in forever.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

First post so be leneant:

In TEOTW ch. 4 the gleeman, Thom jumps up on a wall and gives a small showing to the village. Thom brings up a story, How Susa Tamed Jain Farstrider, pg 43 (hardcover). Who is Susa and could it be Verin?

I don't know, but....

Jain was married, he ran off to adventure, leaving his wife to die. Noal regrets this on a number of occasions.

It would make sense that Susa was Jains wife. But, obviously, it doesn't have to be the case.

I think some sort of vague reference would have been made if she were Verin, and I can't remember one.

Thanks for answering Thin Inn Keeper, I had forgotten about Noal's regret.

In the title of the story "How Susa Tamed Jain Farstrider", couldn't tamed imply that he was already on his adventures, already having left his wife?

definition of Taming: brought into service; rendered useful and manageable; under control, as natural resources or a source of power.

Whoever tamed Jain did so for a purpose, yes it could be Noal's wife, but it seems that Noal is with Mat for a reason. (Assuming Susa is a female name) What females do we know that have had contact with Jain and could be giving him orders or direction?

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

In the title of the story "How Susa Tamed Jain Farstrider", couldn't tamed imply that he was already on his adventures, already having left his wife?

definition of Taming: brought into service; rendered useful and manageable; under control, as natural resources or a source of power.

Could be.

I'd suggest that, in this context, "taming" refers to Susa taking the rebelous Jain and making him into a model of male responsibility.

Be it before or after his wife's death... I dunno.

Whoever tamed Jain did so for a purpose, yes it could be Noal's wife, but it seems that Noal is with Mat for a reason. (Assuming Susa is a female name) What females do we know that have had contact with Jain and could be giving him orders or direction?

Well, the simple answer, and what I believe, would be that Susa wanted Jain, (and I'm talking about more than hand-holding), because he was Jain Frick'in Farstrider.

Pretty simple reason. Fame, attention, prestige.

People tend to be attracted toward power or celebrity etc. Jain had that. Let's face it, he was a normal person who turned out to be a superstar.

- Think about how many people in the Middle Ages would have had books written about them during their lifetime. It's got to be a very small number.

I don't think it has to be any more complex than that, and it doesn't make it any less noble a tale, or less interesting.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

On the issue of Noal/Jaim (who I think we almost all agree are one and the same) being a Darkfriend.  I don't think so.  I think he was duped by the Dark.  Several times when he's going on about what an ass he thought Jaim was, he almost slips up and talks about being duped, or fooled, or what have you...and we have Ishy's early POVs talking about how he used Jaim Farstrider.

On the subject of Mat's 'death'.  When Moiraine is explaining BF (at least I think it was Moiraine, and yes I know she doesn't know everything, but we can be sure that before she learned an 'illegal' weave she probably darn sure learned everything she could about it), she spoke of how it 'burned' a person's thread out of the pattern, and undid what that person had done, depending on how far back the thread was burned (strength of balefire, etc.).  Rand was furious when he torched Rahvin, and it undid the slaying of Mat and Aviendha.  I think this meets the 'Finn prophecy, but also, since his death was undone (i.e. never happened) the horn is still tied to him.

As to Verin fetching the horn, I don't think so.  The Seanchan are gonna sack the White Tower, and I believe the new Prince of the Ravens (i.e. Mat) will prolly get it back from them...

Of course, this is all just my opinion.  I could be wrong.  ;D

Archived