DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which side will win Tarmon Gai'don?

alCal

I'm curious to see what you think. Will Rand or the DO win?

I've always assumed that the Light would win, but when thinking of it now, I'm not sure. It would however kind of destroy the entire series if it ends with the Shadow winning. Perhaps not destroy, but it would be kind of weird; We've had eleven books of wonderful story and build-up, and RJ has created an enire world that we like very much.

So, my real question is maybe this: Would it be possible for the Shadow to win, or would it destroy the series? Would RJ drown in angry letters? Does he HAVE to make the Light win?

the cycle will start over. the bore will be sealed and the world will forget about the DO' date=' some random scientist chick will get curious about renewable and unlimited energy

drills hole

goes bad

HMMM

deja vue[/quote']

Isn't that sort of how the dark tower series ended?

lol

J

Yes, unless the DO wins :wink:

But I don't think that will happen.

The Light will win, but I don't know what will happen after that. The story can't be too similar to the AoL-story though, when they just sealed the bore and the male channelers went mad.

I don't believe that ages repeat with the same things happening each age. Picture the wheel as it spins. It lays out the pattern in a lace with lives of people being the individual threads that make up the weaves. Now the wheel is not stationary but is rolling as it spins, laying down its weave behind it as it goes.

I would love for someone at RJ's next book signing to ask him about how human evolution worked in his world.

Guest Majsju

Key events repeat themselves. The Light will win, somehow managing to seal the bore completely, and eventually the memory of the DO will fade from mankind. Until next time the AOL comes around, when someone, woman, man, both, for some reason, or by accident drills a hole which becomes a new bore. And The Dragon must step up and fight.

Minor events, such as Lanfear having an affair with LTT, etc wo't necessarily happen again, unless they're necessary for the key events.

I think it's totally possible for the DO to win, but in order for the wheel to turn, it's impossible. DO wins everything stops.

What happens in the next age won't be anything like what's happened in this age. But the DO must keep losing for the wheel to keep spinning. He CAN win, but we certainly don't want him to.

How exactly does the DO win? Destroy enough threads (lives) to make the age-lace unrepairable? The Wheel of Time is powered by Saidin/Saidar. Killing anyone able to channel it does not remove it's ability to move the wheel. How exactly does the DO win? The bore was open for hundreds of years and he wasn't able to escape enough then to win. So how can the loss of seals and re-opening of the bore mean victory for the DO now?

Guest Majsju

The DO wins by breaking the wheel, thus making time linear. Linear time measn change is possible, and the DO will change it to fit with what he thinks is a good world.

So how would he do it?

A speculation. The DO finds strength from chaos (look at the AOL, it took roughly 100 year from the drilling of the bore til the war of power, 100 years when chaos spread until the DO was strong enough to act. And look at what the shadow is doing in the world atm, spreading chaos all over the place, while the DO grows stronger.)

Now, the Wheel is the opposite to chaos, it "wants" order. What would happen to the Wheel if the DO broke free, and started to spread chaos on a scale far, far above what the forsaken are capable of? Spread enough chaos, and the Wheel breaks?

I was just browsing KOD and in it Rand thinks that dark one is touching the world more (after a gaurd tells him he should have a guide because corridors are shifting) and the age lace could unravel, unmaking time, destroying the world, end to all we know, etc..

Personally, I think the light is going to win, but in a way that would knock your socks off. Myself, I think Rand will break the wheel and remake at he sees fit. That would explain why Cadsuane is trying to keep him nice and sensitive and such, ya know, so he will remake the world in a good way. Instead of a dark world of hate and pain and suspicion such as Rand is experiencing right now.

note it is also impossible for the light to win absolutely, destruction of the DO removes the balance...wheel 'falls over' (?)

ok so my wheel analogies arnt so good as rd2000's

the point is

there will always be good and evil in the world....

hmmm i'm deeeeep 8)

note it is also impossible for the light to win absolutely' date=' destruction of the DO removes the balance...wheel 'falls over' (?)

ok so my wheel analogies arnt so good as rd2000's

the point is

there will always be good and evil in the world....

hmmm i'm deeeeep 8)[/quote']

Lol, the DO is nothing more than a counterbalance on the Wheel of Time. Like one of those lead weights tire shop mechanics put on your tire so it spins more smoothly :shock:

But if the DO breaks the wheel and remakes it as he sees fit then there will be no good, and no requirement for the balance. Hence my hypothesis, if Rand breaks the wheel, then no reason for the balance and no need for the DO.

thankyou rd, that (almost) exactly what i meant.

sato, if the DO wins, he will stop time, and the word will be forever evil, except you have hit the paadox on the head, if there is no time, then it cant be forever.

I don't think Rand has the power to break the wheel and remake it as he sees fit. I don't even know how he would do that. He's NOT the Creator. Not to get into any religious debates, but even Jesus didn't destroy the world and then recreate it. It's just not phesable for Rand to do that. Rand is there to protect the world that is, not create a better world. LTT locked the DO up in a cell, if the Dragon was as powerful as all that LTT would have killed the DO.

One of the major focuses of the book is on how blurred the lines are between good and evil. RJ makes a point to show us how our main characters all go from innocent farmboys, to very grey human beings willing to see other's die in order for their own gain. IF Rand remade the world, as he is now, the world would probably have more chaos then good. RJ's not going to kill the DO, because he can't.

Archived