DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which side will win Tarmon Gai'don?

alCal

It would suck seriously large testicles if the DO won. But I do have to say, I would also be depressed if the series just ended with "and the Dark One was sealed once again." I want some serious ending to happen, not just the continuation. I want an endgame to this battle. Besides if Rand doesn't break the wheel (little sidenote, the Dragon is supposed to basically be the creator's champion so essentially to me it would seem that he would have a direct line to the creator's power so I think Rand could do just about whatever he darn well feels like, plus I don't think he likes the idea of a neverending battle) then he is going to do something like bind the DO to the Wheel and then kill him, like Moiraine (I think it was her) suggested. I can't remember anything being said about the DO having to exist, remember, he had no influence on the world for so long that people forgot about him. So his touch isn't required.

• 1 year later...

originally this was going to be a trilogy according to RJ (rofl...trilogy!?!?).....anyway, he always said he knew how the book was going to end, and I can't imagine that included writing a book where the DO wins  ;D

I also think w/out a shadow of a doubt that Rand will somehow survive.

The Light has to win simply because the whole story would make no sense if they lost.  We already know the odds are completely stacked against them.  Remember Rand using the Portal Stone in TGH?  At the end of each and every alternate life he experiences, what does he hear?  You lose, Lews Therin.  Were we supposed to have just stopped there?  This series must beat the impossible odds that it is challenged with or it just isn't worth reading all those pages.  I would feel cheated and pissed, and I would certainly never pick it up again if it AMoL ends with, "You lose, Lews Therin."

it would be cool if the dark one won... and might actually work, assuming he was mostly boasting about stopping the wheel of time (not sure if he is able to or not) if he did win then you have four more ages (current age is 3rd age, age of legends is second age and apparently modern times is the first age that leaves 4 unaccounted for) so the dark one could rule for an age or so, get overthrown by the next incarnation of rand/ltt then you still have 2 or 3 ages to get back to lose the ability to channel and forget about the dark one... so there is enough time for the dark one to break loose and rule the world, of course that only works if he can then later be defeated and imprisoned again... so maybe its not real likely, but it would be a cool way to do it

Well Steel Axe I just posted something similar in the Dragon of the Shadow post.

Well, while I don't think that the Dragon has ever gone to the shadow, it is at least partly feasible.  I mean if the breaking of the world and the taint can be possibly seen as a section (Age) of the WoT that remedies an over-advanced civilization then why couldn't another age be one that reduces the world into chaos and darkness for a time only to have the Shadow forced to "Give birth" to a world of light that progresses through the ages to over-advanced civilization searching where thay shouldn't be looking? 

Sorry that is a really long sentence.

For comparison (stamping my age) look at the Dark Crystal.  The omnipitent power becomes corrupt and is divided (Good/Evil) for a time until a champion arrives and they are reunited, learning a valuable lesson while nearly decimating a world

I don't think the DO can break the wheel.  I think that is a fear.  He could win leading to a rebirth of the ages.  Maybe the only reason we are in the third age is because recorded history, and research of the past did not happen until the AoL.  What if the TA is actually the 7th or last age before the WoT rvolves again?

it would be cool if the dark one won... and might actually work, assuming he was mostly boasting about stopping the wheel of time (not sure if he is able to or not) if he did win then you have four more ages (current age is 3rd age, age of legends is second age and apparently modern times is the first age that leaves 4 unaccounted for) so the dark one could rule for an age or so, get overthrown by the next incarnation of rand/ltt then you still have 2 or 3 ages to get back to lose the ability to channel and forget about the dark one... so there is enough time for the dark one to break loose and rule the world, of course that only works if he can then later be defeated and imprisoned again... so maybe its not real likely, but it would be a cool way to do it

It's called the Third Age by some, but that doesn't actually mean it's the Third Age.  It could really be the Sixth or even the Seventh.  People barely know what happened in the immediate age before, and almost zero of anything before that.  How could they keep track of these things cataclysm after cataclysm?  (They can't!)

Archived