DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What do YOU think I should be watching?

Shendare

Curse me. Belittle me. Culture me. Mold me. It's a Netflix dump!

This is a list of the stuff I've been watching (mainly from my Netflix queue) and stuff I'm planning to watch. I've put it together in hopes that others who have had time to refine and develop their tastes in passive entertainment can offer recommendations and comments ("ZOMG you HAVE to see XYZ!" or "You're kidding about ABC, right?"), since I've mainly followed popular movies and shows and am looking to expand my entertainment universe.

As a specific foreword, anime is something I'm very interested in and curious about, but also quite ignorant regarding, so I'm sort of following the Netflix "Check these out, too" options as I click through. Some look cool, some look foofy, but I don't want to count anything out that I might end up liking.  I also ended up getting a whole bunch of anime series from a few, ahem, download sites, but don't have a list typed up for comments and suggestions. I've liked most of what I've seen, though (Wolf's Rain, Noir, Scrapped Princess, Yumeria, Diamond Dust, Tsukihime).

For the most part, I haven't listed the classics. Who hasn't seen and loved Princess Bride, Monty Python, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.?

I also have a weakness for a good documentary, though I didn't bother to list and rate those I've watched, since they're sort of different. Did you ever notice how twice a year the History Channel turns into the Hitlery Channel?

Anyway, what else do YOU think I should be watching?

- Jon

Recently Watched

Anime Series: Samurai Champloo (4*), El-Hazard (5*), and Trigun (4*), Stratos 4 (4*), Tokyo Underground (4*)

Animated: Barnyard (3*), Pom Poko (3*), Place Promised in our Early Days (2*), Valiant (4*), Whisper of the Heart (4*), My Beautiful Girl Mari (3*), and The Cat Returns (4*), FFVII Advent Children (4*), Grave of the Fireflies (4*), Cars (4*), Happy Feet (4*), Ant Bully (4*), Over the Hedge (4*), Open Season (4*), Monster House (4*), Flushed Away (4*), Appleseed (5*), Ninja Scroll (4*)

Comedy: Night at the Museum (4*), Borat (2*), Earth Girls are Easy (4*), Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai (3*), Tenacious D (3*)

Action/Suspense: Shooter (4*), 300 (4*), Ghost Rider (3*), Constant Gardener (4*), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (3*), Smokin' Aces (4*), Se7en (3*), Confessions of a Thug (3*), Reservoir Dogs (3*), Blood Diamond (4*), Spider-Man 2 (4*), Identity (4*), Italian Job (4*), MI:3 (3*), Saw III (4*)

Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Dark Star (2*), The Fountain (3*), They Live (3*), Deja Vu (5*), Final Destination 2 (3*), Butterfly Effect 2 (3*)

Drama/Other: The Lover (4*), Passion of Joan of Arc (4*), Black Hawk Down (4*), Stranger than Fiction (4*), Secondhand Lions (4*), The Illusionist (4*)

Upcoming in my Netflix Queue (in current order of scheduled delivery, genres liberally mixed around for variety)

Anime Series: Lain, Samurai 7, Fullmetal Alchemist, Blue Gender, Elfen Lied, Chobits, Love Hina, Ah! My Goddess, Ghost in the Shell, DNAngel, Pretear, Parallel Dual, Mahoromatic, Strawberry Marshmallow

Animated: Porco Rosso, Voices of a Distant Star, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Planetary Traveler

Comedy: Man of the Year, Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead

Action/Suspense: Apocalypto, Breach, Grudge 1&2, Ju-On 1&2

Sci-Fi/Fantasy: THX 1138, Fahrenheit 451, Soylent Green, Logan's Run, Andromeda Strain, Omega Man, The Lord Protector, Crossworlds, Brazil, Highlander 1-4, Highlander: The Series

Drama/Other: Babel, Me & Isaac Newton, Cosa Nostra: History of NY Mafia, Challenge of Flight, Origin of Christianity, Corpus Christi, Mystic Lands

Sin (the member, not the biblical concept)!! What was the name of that time travel movie on Netflix's Watch it Now that we both liked?? I'd recommend it but I can't remember the title. Shendare - check the What Are You Watching thread on this board for other people's reviews of their Netflix choices. I think the movie I'm thinking of is listed in one of the earlier pages.  :D

Hero is a visually stunning martial arts movie starring Jet Li. This movie was simply gorgeous.

Conversations with Other Women is a movie that is almost soley a conversation/interaction between Helena Bonham Carter and Aaron Eckhart over the course of a night. It's an interesting change of pace in terms of filming - it's shown in split screen, so you see both the face of the speaker and the face of the listener at the same time, reacting to the other person.

Madagascar - I didn't expect to particularly like it when I caught it on cable while housesitting, but it's cute.

I also recently watched a documentary on the Ballets Russes, but I don't know that it would be interesting to anyone not already interested in dance. ^_^

Some TV shows I recommend, if you like tv and haven't already seen them, are Weeds, Entourage, and Wonderfalls (dramadies), and the recent incarnations of Doctor Who (scifi).

Curse me. Belittle me. Culture me. Mold me. It's a Netflix dump!

As a specific foreword, anime is something I'm very interested in and curious about (Wolf's Rain, Noir, Scrapped Princess, Yumeria, Diamond Dust, Tsukihime).

I like you already! you'll find a couple of us fellow otaku lying around DM^^

I noticed you have full metal alchemist coming up on your "animes to watch". this is regarded as one of the *BEST* dubbing jobs ever done. I still think its funnier to hear Edward yelling his head off in japanese but its really just as good in english^^

I also noticed you have the love hina anime coming up, now don't get me wrong because love hina is an awesome *manga*. But the anime will make you want to blender your brain and server it to someone for their drink with dinner.

Personally I'm more of a manga otaku then an anime otaku but I still know my way around^^

animes I'd suggest:

Full Metal Alchemist

Bleach

Cow Boy Bebop (this is perhaps one of the true greats. a real must watch. Make sure to watch the movie as well)

Fooly Cooly (another of the true greats)

anime movies:

Cow boy Bebop the movie

The Full Metal Alchemist Movie (its not great but its good. and its spawned millions of hilarious parodies. A must see for cultures sake^^)

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

My Neighbor Totoro

Kiki's Delivery Service

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

the above bolded are all anime movies by Hayao Miyazaki (Me-ia-Za-key) you might have heard about him since Spirited away won an oscar or something like that. Believe me when I say his films do not disapoint, especially if your into his themes of nature vs. society

thats all i can give ya off the top of my head. Keep your eyes open though and visit around^^, I sure plenty of others will link you the good stuff^^

edit- geez! i can't believe i forgot the one that made his name go up in lights!

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is another must see^^

Firefly is not on there. You must watch Firefly. Most amazing TV series ever. Its only part of one season though, as it did get cancelled by FOX (grrr). It does also have a movie that goes with it called Serenity. Watch the TV series before you watch the movie.

Sin... Queued. The Gary Oldman one, right? He can give any movie an extra star just by being in it.

Hero... Liked it! (4*)

Conversations with Other Women... I'll queue it, but it doesn't sound particularly interesting to me.

Madagascar... Wasn't too bad.

Ballets Russes... Ehh, probably not for me, unless I hook up with a gal who's really into dance.

Weeds... Seen it advertised on cable, didn't look like something for me.

Entourage... Heard of it. Couldn't hurt to take a look.

Wonderfalls... Never heard of it. Sounds potentially interesting. Queued.

Doctor Who... Saw it advertised on SciFi, but haven't caught it. Worth a look, though I didn't follow the original (too psychedelic). Queued.

full metal alchemist... is regarded as one of the *BEST* dubbing jobs ever done.... Awesome. I can watch Japanese w/ English subtitles, but it's more relaxing when it's dubbed and I don't have to pay quite as much attention.

...love hina... will make you want to blender your brain and server it to someone for their drink with dinner... I'll try to mentally prepare myself.

Bleach... One of my downloaded series. I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet.

Cow Boy Bebop... I watched the movie to this one, and have it downloaded. Very interesting characters.

Fooly Cooly... Is this the same as FLCL? I think I have that one downloaded, too.

Full Metal Alchemist Movie... I've got it queued before the series, but I don't know where it fits in chronologically. Should it go after? Somewhere in the middle?

Laputa: Castle in the Sky... Currently #13 in my queue.

My Neighbor Totoro... Currently #7 in my queue.

Kiki's Delivery Service... This one was fun.

Princess Mononoke... Very well done.

Spirited Away... Also very well done.

Howl's Moving Castle... This one was okay. Not as good as some of the others.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind... I liked this one a lot, too.

Firefly... I enjoyed Serenity, but I hadn't gotten around to seeing Firefly yet. Queued.

Serenity... Watch the TV series before you watch the movie.... Oops. See previous. River Tam kicks major butt, anyway. Haha!

I enjoyed the "What are you watching?" thread. It's what gave me some of the things that were in my original post's list of upcomings, like Highlander, which I used to watch on TV.

And thanks for the recommendations, guys! Keep 'em coming! My queue is already enriched. Is there a limit to Netflix queue size? I've got 210 items on mine at the moment. Hmm...

- Jon

• Community Administrator

Sin (the member, not the biblical concept)!! What was the name of that time travel movie on Netflix's Watch it Now that we both liked?? I'd recommend it but I can't remember the title. Shendare - check the What Are You Watching thread on this board for other people's reviews of their Netflix choices. I think the movie I'm thinking of is listed in one of the earlier pages.  :D

She was talking about me Shendare, the movie is called Primer, I highly HIGHLY sugjest watching it if you are into time travel movies.

Silver makes good suggestions. Wonderfalls is a must see.

Also:

The Rage in Lake Placcid (little known Comedy that netflix recommended to me and I liked)

Thank you for smoking

Brotherhood - Showtime series about gangsters in RI... a little slow but comes together in the end

Rome - So good....

Dexter - One of my favorite shows on TV

Deadwood - western, but very good.  Give it a few episodes to rope you in

Carnivale - Good HBO series with a pretty fun arc

Boondock Saints... Queued.

Equilibrium... Thank you! I saw this mentioned in an article online and forgot to add it to my queue, then couldn't remember what the name was! Got it now.

The Rage in Lake Placcid... Queued The Rage in Placid Lake. Err, Freudian slip? Heh.

Thank you for smoking... Wasn't bad. Glad he got a heart. Talk about suspension of disbelief for it, though. Ha!

Brotherhood... Queued.

Rome... Caught part of an episode once, but didn't get into it. Worth a try, if it's that good. Queued.

Dexter... See previous

Deadwood... See previous 2

Carnivale... Yeesh, you're setting me up for the next 12 months with all these series! Never saw this one advertised. Queued it up.

The Time Bandits... Wasn't bad.

Ice Pirates... Queued.

Ranma 1/2 series... Ehh, I'll give it a shot.

Clue... Wicked funny.

Caveman... Queued.

Clash of the Titans... Why not.

Top Secret... Both pretty awesome.

Thanks, SF!

- Jon

people mentioned Wonderfalls but I didn't see a mention of "Dead Like Me" it's created by the same guy as Wonderfalls, but I think it is better... who knew Inigo Montoya would grow up to be a grim reaper?  "Six Feet Under" from HBO is also a very well done series, five seasons worth of episodes with excellent acting and generally very good plot arcs.  I also netflixed Buffy The Vampire Slayer, because after years and years of dismissing it I found out is is actually a very good series with character development and everything!

Whenever I'm reminded about Inigo Montoya, I can't help but remember the scene that practically nobody who watches the movie is going to be able to get, because the whole joke is based on a swear word in Spain.

When Inigo's drunk off his butt outside an inn and the redheaded guard comes down to arrest him:

Guard: Ho there!

Inigo: I do not budge! Keep your 'joder'!

You see, in Spain, "joder", which is pronounced basically exactly like "ho there", is the equivalent of our 'F' word. So, Inigo, in his drunken stupor, thinks the guy is cussing him out with an "F--- you!"

I busted a gut when I first saw this scene, and nobody else had the vaguest clue what was so funny until I was finally able to explain it to them.

I don't know whether the author put it into the book (likely) or the screenwriter just snuck it into the script (less likely), but I was very glad at that point that I just happened to know that particular Spanish swear word. *laugh*

- Jon

Archived