DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Two Rivers

Angel of Death

I thought of posting this in the Structured Board, but it can be moved if Kat thinks its better there than here.

I was thinking on the reasons many 'special' people came from the the Two Rivers. We have Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Nyneave, and im fairly sure some powerful channelers are from there as well.

I was thinking:

Was this just the wheel throwing them together so things will be easier later one?

Were all the ancestors drawn there by a ta'veran or another of the like?

Does it have some link to Manetheran and Aemon's Field (name of Emonds field location shortly after Trolloc Wars - I believe the name Emonds is just a language adaption), and many people dying there?

Any other thoughts?

I know there can be no real answer to this, but I was thinking on your thoughts. Other than story convienence, RJ struck me as the type to give reasons for everything.

My two cents,

The reason that there are many powerful chanellers (even just many chanelers in general) is that the Aes Sedai have not culled out the channelers. It is stated somewhere that the Aes Sedai have not visited the Two Rivers in quite a while. This allows the channeler gene pool to remain active instead of being depleted every time a women (or man) who can channel leaves for the White Tower.

As for the inner strength of the non-channelers that is largely because of their Manetheren descent. It has been repeatedly stated that the old blood runs strongly in the Two Rivers.

Yeah, I know its disjointed and rambling but I hope it communicates my thoughts effectively.

I think it's just the old blood.  I think it was Ta'veren(Rand) that drew them all out of the Two Rivers.  I don't think there were any Ta'veren at Manetheren when it lived but much was lost in the wars so...  I think Mordeth may have been Ta'veren and heres why.  I believe Mordeth was a darkfriend that Ishamael screwed up with, much like Fain.  I don't think any amount of normal hatred and suspicion could have produced Mashadar but I believe Ishamael gave Mordeth powers by accident.  With these new powers Mordeth went to Aridhol and used the Shadow to turn against itself.  If Mordeth did not exist, no Shadar Logoth and therefore no Cleansing.

So to sum up, I don't Ta'veren were in Manetheran but one was at Aridhol.

Do you think that Tam al Thor for a breif time in his youth was a taveren? I mean think about it. He was the only person to accually leave the 2 rivers in qutie a while. He joins  the army becomes a blade master and arrives right on time to find a Aiel maidens baby on the mountin before it freezes to death, finds a wife that iswilling to adopt an enemy's baby and raise it as her own. I definatly thionk that he was a lesser taveren for a time. The old blood may be strong but I don't think that it cold bend chance that much. He had to be taveren in my opinion.

I considered the same thing about Tam or quite a while. However on my reread through the series I began to think differentially. In TSR we get a viewpoint of Rands ancestors, and afterwards he said something that made me stop thinking of Tam that way. I'm paraphrasing of course but it was something along the lines of, "The wheel had been preparing things for his birth for many years. Small chances so that things would happen."

The main thing I think of is Carihein giving water to the Aiel during the breaking and after. He thinks that if that never happened Lamen would never have gotten the tree and the Aiel war never would have happened. I don't think that Tam was ever taveren, I believe that it was just a good spinning of the wheel.

As they say, "The wheel weaves as the wheel wills."

But aren't Taveren People that the pattern chooses to cause certain events to happen? kind of like the eye of a needle to keep a thread staight. So in that repect the first person to offer the aile water could have been a minor taveren. I don't know i just see taveren as people who shape the pattern the way that the creator/wheel wants or needs it be.

Archived