DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Confusion about DO

Let me quote myself about the issue of masculinity as compared to maleness.

...That said, the Chosen refer to the Dark One as the Great Lord because he carries many masculine (or what are perceived as masculine) characteristics, and the same could be said of the Creator, though it would be erroneous to call either a "man" or "woman."

Masculine characteristics are not exclusive to males, and feminine characteristics are not exclusive to females; there is considerable overlap.

What is more, though the DO and the Creator are neither male nor female, they can be considered as masculine/feminine deities, depending on your view.

Personally, I don't think of the DO as woman (or feminine)...

lol, such discussion, and I was expecting maybe 3 answers for my 2 little questions

1) the only reason I originally thought the DO was male was because the DO tainted saidin, but yes, now I know that was wrong...so we've confirmed our genderless Creator and Dark One

2) True Power can be given to anyone the DO chooses, male or female

yay! we're done  ;)

Where'd you get that from Luckers? 

He got it from the books.  Specifically ACoS ch 25.  Moghedien says twenty-nine, though, not thirty-nine ... and its probably actually twenty-eight, since Moghedien didn't know at that point that Moridin is Ishamael.

I never said thirty-nine. It never happened. Nothing to see here. *walks of humming to himself*.

Hehe, thanks Robert, don't know where i got the extra ten bad guys.

ok im just saying that i see the creater as female becouse she created nature i dont see a man creating nature do u?

Thats a human conciet stemming from internal mammalian reproductions and the human females desire to nurture its young. Certainly other species do this, but just as many do not. More, really.

I think we can all agree on the fact that, regardless of how you see the DO/Creator, they have no gender, and so the gender you associate with them is based purely on your own opinions and prejudices. If you want to think of the Creator as a female, go for it. If you want to think of the DO as a male, go for it. That doesn't change the fact that they are both neither.

Actually both the Creator and the Dark One are refered to as males. Much as the Christian God and Satan are. Even though should they exist I doubt they would have a gender as we know it. It seems that the consepts of the Creator and The Dark One were drawn from the Christian model RJ made that clear with the consept of the Creator imprisioning the Dark One. To the best of my knowlage only the Jewish/Christian model of a religion would fit not that I claim to be a religious expert. If I am mistaken someone please correct me. But I don't know of any other religion who's evil entity (Satan as it were) was locked away. So following that model both are refered to as male. While only the children of the creator are refered to as both Male and Female (The two halves of the One Power) and that may only be because only a man can touch one and a woman the other. They them selfs may also be gender nutral and just resonate with a specific gender.

Darth_Andrea

Though neither male nor female by known standards, Shai'tan is usually referred to as male.  He has no true physical form ...

The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time Series, p 48

The first part corresponds with what you say.

And as for God being a male, well, as I said, there is a difference between masculinity and maleness. Since he might appear to exhibit masculine characteristics to many, he is called "he," as matter of convenience.

Also, Satan isn't "locked up," because he's whispering in people's ears. In Relavation, it is revealed that a time will come when he will be "cast into the lake of fire." That could be considered being "locked up," since it is eternal separation from God.

This is what is in the Bible, though I don't claim to speak for everyone who calls themself Christian, so if anyone else interprets it any other way, let them speak now, or forever hold their peace.

Well I think there was an intentional comparison between shai'tan and  and satan. If not for the complete evil of him, then the name itself. Besides, since we're supposed to be a turning of the wheel, maybe RJ meant for God and

Satan to be our names for the Creator and the DO. And for Revelations to be our TG.

Archived