DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ratings: Season 2 (E01, E02, E03) lost 63% of Season 1's audience according to Nielsen

Again, should I continue? (I don't think so. It's totally meaningless.)

Nielsen, March 25 – 31

Invincible (16) – 175M, Reacher (16) – 133M, American Rust (19) – 118M, The Baxters (34) – 72M, Mr. & Mrs. Smith (8) – 70M, Bosch (69) – 69M, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan (30) – 46M, Hazbin Hotel (8) – 40M

3 hours ago, books of Robert Jordan said:

Again, should I continue? (I don't think so. It's totally meaningless.)

Nielsen, March 25 – 31

It's meaningful to someone or the numbers wouldn't be generated.  Maybe less relevant to WoT fans as it is not on the list.  Or maybe it is more relevant as it is not on the list...

[final post; the numbers of the last months/years are very telling, especially the lack of them]

Nielsen, April 01 – 07

Invincible (17) – 231M, American Rust (19) – 144M, Reacher (16) – 140M, The Baxters (34) – 94M, Mr. & Mrs. Smith (8) – 71M, The Expanse (62) – 45M, The Man in The High Castle (41) – 43M, Hazbin Hotel (8) – 41M

5 hours ago, books of Robert Jordan said:

[final post; the numbers of the last months/years are very telling, especially the lack of them]

Nielsen, April 01 – 07

I think your thread is the only thing keeping this forum alive right now. This may also prove the lack of ratings point.

5 hours ago, books of Robert Jordan said:

Nielsen, April 01 – 07

Why is a lack of Nielsen ratings 8 months after the series aired “telling”? 

5 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Why is a lack of Nielsen ratings 8 months after the series aired “telling”? 

Probably because 'The Man in the High Castle' ran until 2019 and it is still getting Nielsen ratings 5 years later.  There is something to be said for staying power - or lack thereof...

1 minute ago, DojoToad said:

Probably because 'The Man in the High Castle' ran until 2019 and it is still getting Nielsen ratings 5 years later.  There is something to be said for staying power - or lack thereof...

But it's really hard to gauge any of that in the age of streaming. For example, "The Boys" isn't on that list. Are we pretending that's not a huge show for Amazon? What about "Mrs. Maisel"? How many of the minutes "Man in the High Castle" is getting right now are from people who were steered to it by the algorithm because they watched another show in the same genre and because there's nothing out there right this minute that is hitting that spot? 

My wife was one of those people who binged "Suits" randomly, years after it dropped. We still go back and rewatch our favorites too. 

I'm not trying to say WoT is some sort of mega hit. Clearly it isn't. But at the same time, it's hard to read much into things dropping on and off of the Nielsen list when they aren't running. It may pop back onto the list a few months from now.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

But it's really hard to gauge any of that in the age of streaming. For example, "The Boys" isn't on that list. Are we pretending that's not a huge show for Amazon? What about "Mrs. Maisel"? How many of the minutes "Man in the High Castle" is getting right now are from people who were steered to it by the algorithm because they watched another show in the same genre and because there's nothing out there right this minute that is hitting that spot? 

My wife was one of those people who binged "Suits" randomly, years after it dropped. We still go back and rewatch our favorites too. 

I'm not trying to say WoT is some sort of mega hit. Clearly it isn't. But at the same time, it's hard to read much into things dropping on and off of the Nielsen list when they aren't running. It may pop back onto the list a few months from now.

Yep.  WoT may be back in a week.  Streaming does make everything weird.

Guess we'll see if they announce a S4 before S3 drops as is the pattern for this show.  Then, of course, does S3 perform as well as the first two seasons.

All that said, 'High Castle' has amazing staying power.  I'll have to check it out.

Edited by DojoToad

19 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Yep.  WoT may be back in a week.  Streaming does make everything weird.

Guess we'll see if they announce a S4 before S3 drops as is the pattern for this show.  Then, of course, does S3 perform as well as the first two seasons.

All that said, 'High Castle' has amazing staying power.  I'll have to check it out.

High Castle is a great show. It has an intriguing premise and it is well written and acted.

19 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I just go back to the fact that the show seems dead.

Amazon was all fired up regarding getting the merch rights etc and they have done nothing with it. Ta'Veren Tees was better in every way.

It is not marketed and you do not continue to see buzz around the show. 

Even here the forums are quiet.

Just now, Jaccsen said:

I just go back to the fact that the show seems dead.

Even here the forums are quiet.

It certainly doesn’t have a place in the zeitgeist the way GoT did. 

At the same time, we are 6 months out from the end of season 2 and probably a year away from the start of season 3. 

It’s like the time between the NFL draft and the start of training camps. Just not much to talk about. 

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even finish the first season. I am listening to the book series for probably the 20th time right now on Audible, so you could say I'm a hard core fan. But Prime ruined the story, portraying Mat's father as a philanderer and Mat as a thief, Siuan and Moiraine as lesbian lovers, etc.

I figured if they are going to poop on our favorite story characters, then people will be turned off by it and it will get cancelled. No point in getting into a series that's just going to betray all of their fans and then get axed because they ticked off their viewers.

I feel like they betrayed Robert Jordan's lovingly crafted characters. Just kind of sickened by it, and that's why I'm not watching. In fact, it ticked me off so much that I cancelled Prime. They ruined something I've been looking forward to for years.

Basically just came to reaffirm MeMe's perspective. Made my account just to agree with him because I've been following some of the convo and it seems the convo is replete with people determined to find and to have good things to say. Have relistened to the book series twice since the show released. I finished season 1, because I'm neurotic about finishing things, but I wish I hadn't. I have no interest in further seasons. It's not the WOT to me at all. I am rooting for it to be cancelled asap, just so Robert Jordan can rest after his family sold him out.

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Babbus said:

Just so Robert Jordan can rest after his family sold him out.

You realize that RJ himself sold the rights to Red Eagle Entertainment in 2004 (now known as iWoT), which through some deals, Sony and ultimately Amazon became the companies involved with making the show... Right?

There was even this huge kerfuffle with Red Eagle over them pushing out Winter Dragon in order to keep the Rights... just days before they were set to expire...

But... You ya know... that just doesn't fit the narrative people like to tell themselves to make them sleep easier at night.

21 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Oh no! Not people who have good things to say! Anything but that!

Sure, you can be dismissive and put words in my mouth. I'm saying people have been so invested in getting WoT on the big screen that they've decided to support it and like it regardless. It needs their support, the way they see it, so they're finding good things to say. Most of the praise, in my opinion, seems shallow and forced. Maybe it's just because I hate the show so much. But I've not had similar levels of difficulty for objectively worse material.

20 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

You realize that RJ himself sold the rights to Red Eagle Entertainment in 2004 (now known as iWoT), which through some deals, Sony and ultimately Amazon became the companies involved with making the show... Right?

No. I don't follow the authors and their world all that much since before like 2020. Didn't follow the production of this show from announcement to filming. Forgive me for not knowing the history of the rights of WoT for the past twenty years. Way to zero in on one incorrect part, leaving the entirety of my point intact

22 minutes ago, Babbus said:

Sure, you can be dismissive and put words in my mouth.

I didn't. You said: 

22 hours ago, Babbus said:

it seems the convo is replete with people determined to find and to have good things to say.

...which lead to my comment that you seem genuinely upset by the fact that someone might have good things to say about the show. Which you then reinforce...

25 minutes ago, Babbus said:

they've decided to support it and like it regardless. It needs their support, the way they see it, so they're finding good things to say. Most of the praise, in my opinion, seems shallow and forced.

So in your view, it is impossible for someone to genuinely enjoy the show. They have to search to find good things to say in order to bolster their own private desire to see the show completed.

But, it is not impossible. I genuinely enjoy the show (although there were some moments of cringe in S1 that I wish hadn't been there). I especially enjoyed season 2 (which you haven't bothered to watch, but still want us to pay attention to your opinion), where the writing started to elevate to match the performances of the actors.

Anyway, you're not interested in having a conversation about the series, just in bashing it. So I'll be on my way. 

1 hour ago, Babbus said:

No. I don't follow the authors and their world all that much since before like 2020. Didn't follow the production of this show from announcement to filming. Forgive me for not knowing the history of the rights of WoT for the past twenty years. Way to zero in on one incorrect part, leaving the entirety of my point intact

It doesn't leave your point intact at all. You made the claim that his "Family sold him out". 

It's the implication that RJ would be "spinning in his grave" over this adaptation.

This is the same man, that loved the Merlin TV series and wished an adaptation of his books would be that good.

5 hours ago, Babbus said:

Some excellent reading here about the history of the film rights.

Also, since I, and many others here at Dragonmount get called a "fake fan" all the time, here's a link to the Blog Jason Denzel started for Robert Jordan all the way back in 2005.

RJ posted in it while he was undergoing treatment for amyloidosis at the Mayo Clinic...

Many members of Dragonmount TODAY, were here during that time. We were here every week, anticipating a new blog entry, hoping any news, particular good news about his health.

That man, was practically a "grandfather" to all of us. So I hate to see it when people claim they can know for certain what he would have hated (or loved) the adaptation, simply because they don't like it.

Personally, I'm not going to use my knowledge of knowing about RJ longer then some fans to gatekeep other fans from being fans of his work. Nor am I going to use it as a source of authority of what RJ would like or dislike.

I will however, keep using that knowledge to contradict people who keep using that crappy argument from authority from which they have none, to point out that he was quite happy about the people behind NBC's Merlin getting to do a version of his show before that went belly up.