DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where is Demandred?

Leafburner

Mmm. I agree, and just look at the success rate. Graendal, Semirhage until she blew it by taking Rand on personally, Mesana, Demandred--as oposed to those that went in obviously and bluntly, Lanfear, Be'lal, Ishamael, Sammael, Rhavin, Asmodean, Moghedian, Aginor (twice) and Balthamel... well, he sort of succeeded the second time, it wasn't his fault he had to go to the Cleansing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"And while Rand did take all of the warriors, it has been pounded into our heads that all Aiel can fight. Something tells me they won't just sit passivly while an army of channellers marches across the Three-fold Land. Besides......could an army march across there? With only the water they thought to carry beforehand?" - Smoosh

OK, that's fair. So the Waste isn't deserted. But if Demandred is with the Sharans, he could teach them to travel past the Waste and right onto the battlefield. No warning then.

I think since Deamodred was built up as a general I would look towards the Seanchans Ranks, preferrably some one high and in command. The Seanchan have been known for there incredible tactics and means of attaining victory, Deamodred would be right at home being praised for things such as this.

Thats not indicative of anything. The Seanchan mindset of studying battles predates the release of the Forsaken... you might as easily say that it must be bashere, because he's a good general. Or Mat. No, Demandred would not be where Semirhage already had control.

As for him teaching a Seanchan army to travel... he couldn't. The Ayyad are all women. And that still doesn't explain how he controls them.

Demandred doesn't have to teach female channelers how to travel. We know the Sharans keep male channelers alive as breeding stock. Once saidin was cleansed some things concerning male cannelers may have changed in Shara. Regardless, all Demandred would require are some strong male channelers to link with the female channelers and open up some huge gateways.

Am I clutching at too small a straw? I admit this may be a very long shot, but I think the DO is at a real loss for channelers in his army. The Sharans would be a huge threat.

I agree that the Dark One is at a lost for channelers, and that the Ayyad and the Sharans are an untapped resource. But that being said... i mean, the male Ayyad are killed at 20, they are kept illiterate and pretty much idiots for their entire life. The female ayyad control their entire society through compulsion. That type of society would be too difficult to manipulate, especially since they ARE of the light, the rumours the Aiel brought are proof of that.

I personally think that Ishamael started recruiting dreadlords as much as 20 years ago. That he would teach one man, and then have that man teach others, and so on and so forth. I think Taim was one of those people. There may even be female versions of Taim out there as well. I mean, yes the Aes Sedai hunt woman who are teaching other women to channel, but look how much they suck at that job. They thought the kin were maybe fifty or so people, they thought there were no channelers amongst the aiel, and that sea folk produced only a few... Aes Sedai have been very good at thinking their assumption is the truth.

You are right, Luckers. The Aes Sedai version of fact is alike to Ashley Simpson's impression of herself as cool. Both are misguided representations of the truth, believed to be fact by naive minds that can see nothing beyond what they think they know. Because if they choose to see the truth, their world and all their power comes crashing down.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care what Jordan said at some book signing because he was lying to keep it a surprise:

Demandred IS Taim. Period.

The entire arc of Lord of Chaos makes NO SENSE if he is not.

If in the end, he somehow turns out not be Taim, then Jordan changed his mind because in book 6 he was absolutely Taim. And I still think he is.

Guest Winespring Brother

I am almost certain that Demandred is not posing as any notable person. It just doesn't strike me as his style. We have seen a number of quotes that suggest a general that leads from the front is a dead general, hence Mat's desire to stay out of the heat of the battle. Seeing as Demandred is a class A general, I see no reason that he would be keen to carve out a spot that puts him on the front line as a target. If a good general leads from behind, then Demandred is likely leading from the Shadows. If one of the key rules of battle is know your enemy, he takes away a huge possible advantage from his enemies by not letting them know him.

There are a number of strange events going on across Randland, of which many of you have said could be where Demandred is hiding. I think its a lot more likely that many, if not all, of these events are ploys of Demandred. We know he is has been in contact with some of the renegade Ashaman, because we see from one of their POVs that Demandred ordered them to kill Rand. We have also seen that one of these Ashaman has some heated conversation with Weiramon, with Weiramon wanting direct orders from sombody. Weiramon strikes me as too moronic to be true, so I have to think that he is deliberately causing cock-ups in Rand's plans, like during the attack on Illian's hill forts, at the orders of Demandred.

Some of the things Masema has done seem a little strange too, including that meeting he had with Suroth. Such a meeting could easily have been set up by Demandred, with him operating from the shadows.

I think that there is a high possibility that other events such as the Borderland army in Andor and the affairs of Asunawa are other ploys of Demandred. I won't even get started on the line that Taim says at the end of KoD.

Like Thom said, good generals are good players of the game of houses, so i would expect Demandred to be a great schemer. He probably has his fingers in as many pies as possible, constantly stirring up chaos and messing up Rand's plans, and never getting so involved that people know it is him that is behind it all. Demandred rules! :D

Guest Winespring Brother

Chapter 22- Out of Thin Air

""Kill him" Demandred commanded later...

and later still, Moridin had said "Kill him if you must""

Just a thought to confuse the issue .... the generally agreed comment has been that no two Forsaken would be found stirring the same pot ... that Demadred wouldn't be with the Seanchan because we know (from KoD) that Semi has a hand in there. But. In PoD Ch 24 'A Time for Iron' we have Liandrin the da'covale of Suroth; wasn't it Moghedien that earlier blocked Liandrin from the source in Tarabon? Moghedien mut have handed Liandrin over to the Seanchan, to Suroth. So as we later see Semi dealing with Suroth we have an example of two forsaken working the same group. Not that it means anything. I think I've gone off the idea of Demandred being involved with the Seanchan.

Another thought ... Again in PoD (yes I'm re-reading the books again for the dozenth time!) in Ch 18 'A Peculiar Calling' Egwene and Talmanes are talking about a strategy that Roedran had put together & Egwene is disbelieving that Roedran was capable of coming up with it. Perhaps Demandred isn't Roedran but he could be there pulling his strings.

I'm coming around to the idea that Demandred is not taking a direct role (yet) but has a hand in a lot of the trouble that has been brewed up.

I don't think that Liandrin got to Ebou Dar but I do think Mogi did send some of the other BA sisters there to hunt (angreal etc) for her. The last we heard of Liandrin was that Mogi had woven a web so tight & complex around her that Liandrin could no longer touch the source and no one without skill could unravel it.

I could be wrong but I don't remember a passage that specifically mentioned Liandrin after Tarabon. Happy to have one pointed out though.

Actually Bob was sort of right. Moghedian bound Liandrin as a servant to a cook in Amadacia. The only reason she isn't still there is that the Seanchan invaded and Liandrin was found in their normal search for channelers.

As for Roedran and Demandred... i agree that if Demandred isn't actually Rodran, he's certainly behind roedran.

• 3 years later...

Archived