DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[MUSIC] ARTIST OF THE MONTH - Bruce Springsteen

Taymist

Growing up in southern New Jersey, Bruce Springsteen turned to rock & roll as a teenager and played in a series of bands from the mid-'60s on, varying in style from garage rock to power trio blues-rock. By the early '70s, he was trying his hand at being a folky singer/songwriter in Greenwich Village. But when he was signed to Columbia Records in 1972, he brought into the studio many of the New Jersey-based musicians with whom he'd played over the years.

The result was Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. (January 1973), which went unnoticed upon initial release, though Manfred Mann's Earth Band would turn its leadoff track, "Blinded by the Light," into a number one hit four years later. The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle (September 1973) also failed to sell despite some rave reviews. (Both albums have since gone platinum.)

The following year, Springsteen revised his backup group -- dubbed the E Street Band -- settling on a lineup that included saxophone player Clarence Clemons, second guitarist "Miami" Steve Van Zandt, organist Danny Federici, pianist Roy Bittan, bassist Garry Tallent, and drummer Max Weinberg. With this unit he barnstormed the country while working on his third and last chance with Columbia. By the time Born to Run (August 1975) was released, the critics and a significant cult audience were with him, and the title song became a Top 40 hit while the album reached the Top Ten.

Following that initial success, in a career that is still going strong today, Springsteen has had many ups and downs. Truly massive success came with the Born In The USA album (June 1984) and the release of his soundtrack to the Tom Hanks' film, Philadelphia, titled Streets of Philadelphia in the autumn of 1993. The title song became a Top Ten hit in 1994, winning the Academy Award for Best Song and cleaning up at the Grammys the following year.

More introverted albums, like Nebraska (September 1982) and Tunnel of Love (October 1987) were still received well, if with less commercial success and The River, debuting at the top of the album charts gave him his first top ten hit with Hungry Heart in 1980.

Springsteen remains an icon of Live performances and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999. He was hailed as the Saviour of Rock and Roll in 1975 and in my opinion still has a huge claim to that title today. His lyrics are as complex as Bob Dylan's and he rocks as hard as Jerry Lee Lewis ever did.

So, have you seen him play live? Are you a fan or do you hate his music? Do you own every album or can you barely stand to listen to them? Let's hear your views people.

You can find many of the songs on YouTube if you need to listen to some. I'd recommend Born To Run and Glory Days as a good place to start.

*nods* he's a great showman, nothing flash about him, you can still feel his love of the music. I'd really like to see him Live but every time he's in the UK the tickets sell out or I can't make it. *sighs*

Growing up with the Boss in the 80's... You couldn't escape his blue collar vocals of America's middle class. His support of Veitnam Vets, and helping fight for human rights. He was everywhere in the 80's and everybody wanted him there! I haven't heard a song of his that I haven't liked, and think his status of a rock icon is rightfully earned! Back in the day, I was a bit young to see his concerts, and I regret that, but I think the best Christmas song ever recorded is his live version of Santa Clause is Coming to Town!! Love it!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in my twenties in the eighties and you really couldn't not hear the Boss!!

My first real awareness was seeing the Dancing in the Dark video on MTV..back when they were new and having the afternoon countdowns...his charisma in that video just grabbed me.

I don't really think of him as one of my favortie artists..yet I can sing along on most of his songs..turn up the volumn when one comes on..and can name several!! I love his version of Pink Cadillac!!

Nice review Tay!!

I like that one too Twin and thanks. :D I love watching Clarence play sax, he's such a character and I know what you mean about the 80's, he was so big then, really hitting the height of his power on the commercial side.

Boyo, I don't think I know that one you mentioned, I'll have to go look for it.

Im a child of the 80s and really really agree with twin and deathdealer. You couldnt NOT hear him. I liked Born in the USA but i LOVED!!!!! glory days

I also like a lot of h9is more introspective songs tho i can t name them right now. I still have the born usa RECORD and i picked it up on cd!

ROCK ON BRUCE!

lol..you can't help but hear Bruce's version of Santa Claus is Coming Town around Christmas here in the states..it's a standard!!!

I even bought the solo album Clarence did..the man can sing as well...love him!!

And Dice you are correct..can't remember a single name of any of them..but often they are the dark side of emotions....

well this is one artist I do NOT need youtube for (which is a good thing, since my stupid sound on my computer decided to go on strike). I never really followed much of any artist's life or whatnots, other than their music and whether I liked the song or not.

I'm a child of the 70's, so I grew up with him in my teens and early 20s. There's not a bump on my body that didn't go goose on me when his raspy voice was released through the woofers.

Great choice, Tay. They don't make 'em like that anymore thesedays, with all that idiotic Idol stupidity. And X-factor? Wtf is that about? 90% of the great artists from the past wouldn't get a chance if they were judged on this X-factor business. Hell, most of them were plane ugly buggers we all had a crush on for nothing much else but that they WERE great singers.

*rolls eyes at today's wannabe's*

Oh I so hear you Myst... those programmes are an insult to some of the best singers we've seen over the years. It had absolutely nothing to do with looks, it was about talent. And they're definitely the ones who stand the test of time whether you love or hate their music. :)

Archived