DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E8: The Eye of the World v2

CaddySedai

For discussing Season 1, Episode 8 titled "The Eye of the World"

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 8.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

10 hours ago, Jaysen Gore said:

The changes to both Perrin and Lan are Hollywood tropes - Perrin's even has a name it's used so often. And one of the big problems loyal book readers are going to have is that it will be impossible to tell when Rafe ends and the suits begin on those types of changes. In these specific cases, I tend to blame Rafe more, since he could have accomplished the same goals in different ways inside his take on the story. Rafe also definitely gets the credit / blame for the Who is the Dragon? decision and approach, and all that lead to.

The suits deserve the blame for not giving the show enough running time / episodes to build up the EF5 through small character moments / training / conversations. And for not giving the production team enough time / budget to adjust properly for Covid and Barney's departure. Most of episode 8's issues are probably on the Suits, or Covid, and not the Production team's "fault"

I'd agree with this. I'd also say that in terms of the changes, the biggest issue with them as far as I can see is that they have not been executed all that well. The fridging as a trope is horrible, but if they are going to go down that route, give us more turmoil from Perrin than looking sad for 7 episodes. I am like a broken record but they really missed a trick to give us more dream sequences which could 1) show Perrin's struggle 2) build the creepy threat of the DO in dreams and 3) give book lovers some nice foreshadowing

In terms of Lan, the only issue I have with him in the show is small character moments rather than his personality. He hasn't called anyone a sheepherder yet, that is criminal (I'm only half joking)

On the web:

Nyneave: "Moiraine has a tell..."

Lan: "A tell?"

Nyneave: "A tell."

Lan: "Will you tell me the tell?"

Nyneave: "I will tell you the tale of her tell."

Lan: "No need to tell the whole tale. You can just tell me the tell."

Nyneave: "But it's a good tale, and I like telling tales."

Lan: "No need for a tale, just telling the tell is fine."

Nyneave: "Then I shall tell you the tell without telling the tale."

Lan: "Cool, because I was really starting to run out of ways to say tell."

37 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

In terms of Lan, the only issue I have with him in the show is small character moments rather than his personality. He hasn't called anyone a sheepherder yet, that is criminal (I'm only half joking)

Lan spent months on the road with the boys, and didn't show them how to fight once. Never bothered to talk to Rand about his sword, or show him how to use it.

(all to preserve "whose your dragon")

IMO only the women should carry weapons, at least we'd get to see some more action (rambo nynaeve, tigraine, egwene slayer, etc)

13 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

Really don't think this is funny in any way. It's just a book series and television show. 

it conveys the point that the show can't be fixed with more time, since the longer it goes with rafe & co at the helm, the worse it will get until cancelled.

best case scenario is for the show to NOT get cancelled, instead for producers to remove the current writers/showrunner and replace with a competent team. i doubt this will happen tho ...

when you understand rafe to be bad news for robert jordan's legacy, you may feel the same.

Edited by Quiksilver

The green man was onl there to kill someone who wasnt in the show and would take a chunk of the cgi budget.  So not needed.

Iam, however, confused on why they are equating the EotW with the Pit of Doom.  Maybe they just wanted to simplify the plot somehow.

They also didnt show rand sever Ushy's connection to the DO or his intervention a Tarwins gap.

I get the feeling they will drop a certain character with huge breasts and blonde hair, which is why they killed Agelmar, whose only there for her final story arc.

2 hours ago, Quiksilver said:

Lan spent months on the road with the boys, and didn't show them how to fight once. Never bothered to talk to Rand about his sword, or show him how to use it.

(all to preserve "whose your dragon")

IMO only the women should carry weapons, at least we'd get to see some more action (rambo nynaeve, tigraine, egwene slayer, etc)

Confused where you saw months on the road? They were together until Shadar Logoth, then in the Ways

10 minutes ago, Dagon Thyne said:

The green man was onl there to kill someone who wasnt in the show and would take a chunk of the cgi budget.  So not needed.

Iam, however, confused on why they are equating the EotW with the Pit of Doom.  Maybe they just wanted to simplify the plot somehow.

They also didnt show rand sever Ushy's connection to the DO or his intervention a Tarwins gap.

I get the feeling they will drop a certain character with huge breasts and blonde hair, which is why they killed Agelmar, whose only there for her final story arc.

I think they wanted Dragon v "DO", and wanted to introduce the Seal in this way. Eye as the garden of Eden is unique to this book and never really explained 

21 minutes ago, Dagon Thyne said:

The whole healing someone from the brink of death would make more sense if Nynaeve had done it.  She talks about healing Egwene accidently  when they were younger.  So it could actually be explained.

That hadn't been mentioned in the show either. Although it is possible it is what really happened when Egwene recovered unexpectedly, but N didn't say so

4 hours ago, fra85uk said:

On the web:

Nyneave: "Moiraine has a tell..."

Lan: "A tell?"

Nyneave: "A tell."

Lan: "Will you tell me the tell?"

Nyneave: "I will tell you the tale of her tell."

Lan: "No need to tell the whole tale. You can just tell me the tell."

Nyneave: "But it's a good tale, and I like telling tales."

Lan: "No need for a tale, just telling the tell is fine."

Nyneave: "Then I shall tell you the tell without telling the tale."

Lan: "Cool, because I was really starting to run out of ways to say tell."

Do you think we could get Zoë and Daniel to do this for us a joke? I would love this so much ???

3 hours ago, Dagon Thyne said:

They aslo never explain why there is a ppool of pure untaintedsaidin there.   

Speaking of this, when Rand Channels it seems to me as if it takes a lot longer for the Taint to corrupt the weaves of One Power coming from him. Was this the show trying to show Rand knowing what channeling clean feels like, or just something visual to differentiate him from Logain?

35 minutes ago, CanisNoir said:

Speaking of this, when Rand Channels it seems to me as if it takes a lot longer for the Taint to corrupt the weaves of One Power coming from him. Was this the show trying to show Rand knowing what channeling clean feels like, or just something visual to differentiate him from Logain?

Maybe as a visual it represents madness more than taint?  Logain actually talked to his.  Perhaps we will see more of it the more Rand starts to lose it.

7 hours ago, Quiksilver said:

Oh, but he did. 

Guest Testeria

I really do not understand what they did to Lan in the show.

In the book he seems to be master of his skill, relentlessly fighting to protect everybody around him, in the type of Kyūzō from Kurosawa masterpiece.

In the show they go to great length to show him as inept bodyguard - during first season he failed at least 6 times:

- in ep. 1 when Morraine got hit by enormous blade to her chest (a wound that would easily kill normal human)

- when Nyn puts a blade to his throat,

- when he fails to protect Morraine when she was shielding Logain,

- when he fails to spot the whole (Logain) army comming,

- when he fails to defend his friend from himself,

- when he allows Morraine to enter ways unprotected,

- when he fails to protect the team in the ways,

- when he allows Morraine to leave to the eye because he was busy with the girl.

Also - about the last thing - it really feels cheap for him to trick a girl to sleep with him and then the very next morning just dump her with his "sorry babe, it was fun and all but I need to go to work, You know how it is". I know this citation he used IS from books but the context just does feel weird. I mean I really liked chemistry between the two until that weird sex/dump finale...

The book's Lan reminds me of my grandfather. He was a soldier and an engineer, mostly silent, introvert  man with high morals and little talking. It is a shame for me that he didn't made it to the show. I have a feeling that holywood just do not like no nonsense men who just excel with doing their jobs... You need a master like Kurosawa to portrait them accordingly.

So wow just discovered something about the Horn of Valere that gives it a Perrin connection

Spoiler

It is also later revealed that the Horn can summon not only human heroes, but wolves as well.

Spoiler

Ghost wolves

During the Last Battle in Thakan'dar the blowing of the Horn of Valere is able to summon along the Heroes, also the spirits of all the past dead wolves that were dwelling in Tel'aran'rhiod. They are silvery figures and are among the few things that are able to fight successfully against the Darkhound packs.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Horn_of_Valere

Also if you read the wiki - it suggests that Mat was broken of his connection to the Horn of Valere - ergo is it actually necessary that Mat needs to be connected?

Spoiler

It is also revealed that Mat is no longer the Hornsounder; his death and revival during the events of the invasion of Andor were sufficient to sever his ties to the Horn, allowing a new Hornsounder to emerge. Mat was hanged after his second visit to Sindhol, but in AMoL Hawkwing tells him that "Not the tree, Gambler. Another moment, one that you cannot remember. It is fitting, as Lews Therin did save your life both times.". The effects of death and revival by Balefire affect the weave of the pattern, and thus Mat's second death may well have been ignored by the Pattern if so.

Edited by ArrylT

3 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

So wow just discovered something about the Horn of Valere that gives it a Perrin connection

Hide contents

It is also later revealed that the Horn can summon not only human heroes, but wolves as well.

Hide contents

Ghost wolves

During the Last Battle in Thakan'dar the blowing of the Horn of Valere is able to summon along the Heroes, also the spirits of all the past dead wolves that were dwelling in Tel'aran'rhiod. They are silvery figures and are among the few things that are able to fight successfully against the Darkhound packs.

https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Horn_of_Valere

Also if you read the wiki - it suggests that Mat was broken of his connection to the Horn of Valere - ergo is it actually necessary that Mat needs to be connected?

Whoever sounds it needs to later die in order to break the connection. Which certainly can't be Perrin.

Edited by MasterAblar