DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Battle of the Bards

JaimAybara

26 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Also "Toss a Coin to your Witcher" being a viral song does not mean that the bard singing it is the better bard.

They just get a better song.

Not an argument for Thom or anything - just that the BEST versions of TaCtyW have been youtube covers ? 

Well ya, this was just a way to plug a nice cover from the witcher.  Maybe there will be a cover for the WoT songs too, they have only been out for 2 days.  

I personally didn't like the way they had Thom sing, sounded pretty amateurish, but I think he can sing much better than what they showed.  Not sure why they sandbagged it. This show needs to build up hype as fast as possible.   One other example of Alexandre Willaume singing I could find singing was from the Danish version of Tangled... seen at the 2:00 minute mark.  He can clearly sing better than I originally thought originally.  Will be interesting to see how he sings in more grand settings.

Edited by Pandemonium

3 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

Maybe there will be a cover for the WoT songs too, they have only been out for 2 days.  

There are a few covers of The Man who can't forget" already on youtube.

Also a few Weep for Manetheren song covers popped up.

Edited by CaddySedai

29 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

Well ya, this was just a way to plug a nice cover from the witcher.  Maybe there will be a cover for the WoT songs too, they have only been out for 2 days.  

I personally didn't like the way they had Thom sing, sounded pretty amateurish, but I think he can sing much better than what they showed.  Not sure why they sandbagged it. This show needs to build up hype as fast as possible.   One other example of Alexandre Willaume singing I could find singing was from the Danish version of Tangled... seen at the 2:00 minute mark.  He can clearly sing better than I originally thought originally.  Will be interesting to see how he sings in more grand settings.

The only thing I can think of is that Thom was/is going through his "drunk phase". We would see it in the books after his apprentice/gf was killed and Mat runs into him at Tar. Not saying that wont still happen, but as of now that is the only possible reason his voice was so scratchy and amateurish.

4 minutes ago, flinn said:

The only thing I can think of is that Thom was/is going through his "drunk phase". We would see it in the books after his apprentice/gf was killed and Mat runs into him at Tar. Not saying that wont still happen, but as of now that is the only possible reason his voice was so scratchy and amateurish.

It certainly seems plausible that he had had a drink prior to his performance since he had one with them after that song  - I suppose one could say they arrived mid performance, so they missed his opening performances (Dana specifically says he is about to do another song), then they left so they missed his closing numbers which would be the crowd pleasers and his best songs.

9 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Off topic posts have been hidden. Please stay in the correct lane. 

Thank you for the assist @Elder_Haman.

As I said before. This thread is about comparing the BARDS of WoT and The Witcher. 

All other subjects need to go into more appropriate threads. Any posts after my initial warning that keep doing it will be hidden and continuing to ignore the warnings can result in disciplinary measures.

Please do not make me be a villain ? I like y'all ? 

Addendum: Heck with it. Any posts before my warning just got hid as well. This is why we can't have nice things y'all.

Edited by CaddySedai

3 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

Toss a coin to your witcher has much better covers.  When someone covers does a Thom cover better than this witcher cover, let me know.

That guy is amazing. His cover of Wuthering Heights is fantastic.

That aside, I was also not best pleased with Thoms singing. I am hoping for some high chant or other when he returns. I was not a fan of the song either. It felt way too modern, without leaning in to being modern like Toss a coin does. It was just inbetween, and therefor felt odd. 

1 minute ago, Morani said:

That guy is amazing. His cover of Wuthering Heights is fantastic.

That aside, I was also not best pleased with Thoms singing. I am hoping for some high chant or other when he returns. I was not a fan of the song either. It felt way too modern, without leaning in to being modern like Toss a coin does. It was just inbetween, and therefor felt odd. 

My main problem is that he didn't carry his pitch very well. maybe he was trying to sing too gravelly.  that I'm waiting for more because the lyrics were great 

8 hours ago, flinn said:

Well, his instrument playing was almost as bad as his singing. He just strummed a few chords here and there. But, yeah I get your point.. bad open mic night, no cover.

I might be wrong here and will eat my words if we get a better performance from Thom playing and singing later on but...

IMHO the problem is mostly with the song composition, not the performance. I don't believe Alexandre Willaume is a very good guitarist (he is a good singer though). At least not good enough to play this song and sing it at the same time. There's nothing actually wrong with the guitar playing in this song. It's simple, but fine, there's a couple of nice chord changes. But I don't believe Willaume is the one playing for the most part. You'll notice in the section of the song that actually has full strumming along with the singing, you don't actually get the guitar in shot. You only see the guitar at the start, when he's hardly actually playing it, then at the end and he only plays a couple of notes to finish out the song.

So they've had to compose the song around the fact they couldn't actually show him playing and singing at the same time, while making it seem like he actually is. Which resulted in a bit of a mixed bag. Overall I think the songs ok for the setting and am hopeful we'll get something a bit more impressive later on.

Of course the other explanation for this that just occurred to me is that the prop guitar is actually unplayable or sounds terrible, which doesn't change any of the above except making me recant my assessment of Willaume's ability.

Edited by Kudzu

Judging entertainment is very subjective.  Singing in a bar can always be improved with more mugs of what is flowing.  I am going to judge my bards by what they bring to the table when my new found love reveals they have a fondness for Dark Lords.  Thom beats Jaskier everytime in that category.

Speaking of musicians.  Now I want Mat's shield maiden "friend" from Shadow Rising to be darkfriend Taylor Swift.

This almost feels like necroposting, but it has not been so long... long ago.

The fan covers are starting to show up in my reccomendations.

Pretty straight forward version.

I think this might be my favorite.

... Would we need a separate topic for the covers of the songs in the series?