DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How did the show hold up for non-fans watching with you?

king of nowhere

Well... they took a lot of artistic licence with the show... and some parts were a bit story-deforming the way they put it. some characters are strayed off, and Perrin was married? there was a lot in the stories about Perrin sort of "growing up" to be a man. they were older, sure, but... 

...this is mostly opinion, no hate. 

On 3/1/2022 at 1:46 PM, Andra said:

Saidin was tainted, but not Saidar.  Not because men are tainted, but because the Source they use was. 

Could someone please tell this to Amazon?

Edited by William Seahill

On 3/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, Andra said:

Supposedly, he is an advisor on the show.

From many of the things we've heard from him (there are threads about his interviews on this forum) he mostly didn't even see the scripts until after they'd been filmed. 

Though there were apparently some things he weighed in on before they were finalized - like Perrin being married so his wife could be fridged in the first episode.  Unfortunately, his opinion about that was ignored, and Rafe went ahead with what he originally planned.

So far, I don't think I've heard a single example of Rafe changing his mind about something after someone who knows the books advised him to.

So we’ve got Rafe to “thank” for all the inconsistencies between the source material and the script because he’s so dead set on doing the show his way (against even Brandon Sanderson’s better judgment)?  “Great.”

5 hours ago, William Seahill said:

So we’ve got Rafe to “thank” for all the inconsistencies between the source material and the script because he’s so dead set on doing the show his way (against even Brandon Sanderson’s better judgment)?  “Great.”

That's certainly the way it looks so far.

It's possible some Season 1 feedback was received and listened to prior to Season 2 being set in stone.  I guess we can keep our fingers crossed.

16 hours ago, Andra said:

That's certainly the way it looks so far.

It's possible some Season 1 feedback was received and listened to prior to Season 2 being set in stone.  I guess we can keep our fingers crossed.

I haven’t read TGH yet, I’m about halfway through EotW.  I hope Rafe will stay closer to the show’s source material with S2.  I should probably hurry up and get the rest of the way through the first book, so I can get started the second before it comes out. 

1 hour ago, William Seahill said:

I haven’t read TGH yet, I’m about halfway through EotW.  I hope Rafe will stay closer to the show’s source material with S2.  I should probably hurry up and get the rest of the way through the first book, so I can get started the second before it comes out. 

Well they are going to skip a lot as there are only 8 seasons . So the next Season will be Great Hunt/Dragon Reborn

7 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

Well they are going to skip a lot as there are only 8 seasons . So the next Season will be Great Hunt/Dragon Reborn

We can hope that he stays closer to the source material, and just compresses things to get it to all fit in a single season.  There are certainly opportunities to do that.

But since we already know that some of the characters/events that would have been in season 1 have been moved to season 2 (Elyas and Elayne, as two examples), it's hard to see how that compression will be carried off.

Since the Horn is already gone with Fain, and the arcs for Moiraine, Agelmar and Amalisa are completely different, there are entire chapters worth of material from book 2 that simply won't exist.  Maybe that's what Rafe is going to rely on for that compression.  Simply writing huge swaths of stuff out of the story before we even get there.

On 3/8/2022 at 1:45 PM, Humbugged2 said:

Thank you for warning me.  That means I’ll have to get book three as soon as I can.  Fourteen seasons would make a long show. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 3:54 PM, king of nowhere said:

By now we know the show got mixed reviews. There is a poll thread who already got like 60 votes, and it seems about 60% were positive, and 25% negative. So, generally good, but still one fourth of the fandom here disliked the show.

On the other hand, there is some argument that perhaps we posting here are strong fans, and so we are both 1) more likely to be put off by the differences with the books, and 2) more likely to be disappointed because we've been hyped for years and we were hoping for something impossibly successful.

mixed reviews also from critics, but regarding them 1) criticize is their job, and 2) most of the negative reviews come from people who are hostile to fantasy in general.

I've read a lot of comments, and one thing seem constant: every time a fan watched the show with significant others who were not fans, the significant other liked the show.

which is perhaps the most important thing, to capture new audience. we all debated to death and know diehard fans won't have the number to determine the show's success.

So, how was the reception among your significant others?

Me, I watched the show with my brother (bbok fan) and his girlfriend (not read the book), and the girlfriend was the most appreciative

I will tell you how it went for me and my brother. I watched it. Told him how bad it is and he didn't even bother watching it. Sooooo you know how this goes. Pirate life and all IF I even decide to watch season 2. Amazon deserve 0 of my money with the fiasco they are doing.

i recommended it to a guy i know on the internet, he could not get into it at first because it starts so slow.

but he later gave it another try, and he liked it. that's the conversation on whatsapp

any news of new season oh wheel of time?

you mean season 2? in 2023, i think
ok
but you said you didn't like it?
 no
 just slow start
 ifound it pretty good and the cgi were not cheap
 i hate b movie cgi
its great

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Interesting twitter thread of non-reader analyzing Rand from S1 alone. Very insightful.

That is some wonderful insight to the character and it seems they haven't read the books which makes it even more impressive.  Love the fact that all of these people are getting sucked into the world

19 hours ago, BernitaGreen said:

I was confused all the time. lol

If you are being literal, I would say that being confused all the time is not the sign of a good show.  Sure we want a little mystery, but when the epiphany comes it needs to make sense.  And don't leave everything to the last episode (or worse, the next season) to resolve.  Drop breadcrumbs and see how fast the audience can figure it out.  Some will pick it up faster than others (I'm on the slow end usually), but don't cheat and provide resolutions that contradict how the show world was set up.  Reveals should mostly be: "Duh, I should have known that!".

Edited by DojoToad
spelling

From the feedback I've gotten, it wasn't a bad kind of confused, more like having questions which ended up being answered or needing to rewatch to catch little things. But the last episode was a bit much with all the new questions it raised and knowing they won't be answered for another year or more was tough.

• 3 months later...

I have a friend who would have liked to watch WoT, but didn't have an amazon subscription, so he's waited until yesterday - when we spent an evening together and I suggested it.

We watched two episodes so far, and he liked it.

he immediately figured out rand was the protagonist, because they spent too much time on him at first. he was betting on egwene and tam dead immediately, as the fantasy hero usually loses anyone close to him. then after some more minutes he realized egwene was also a main character, so he was just fridging tam. he was quite surprised when tam survived - by the way, he thought tam was pretty badass in that fight.

he also didn't see the fridging of layla. the emotional scene worked quite well for him. for all that I myself am not fond of that plot development, we've gotta give credit, they pulled it out well. we know perrin has no wife in the book, so we know she's gonna die soon, but for someone new it has a different impact.

I told him mashadar was a traslucent mist in the book, and he thinks that the blackness spreading and engulfing stuff works better.

I pointedly avoided making any sort of comment on the quality of the show to get a fresh opinion. I answered several questions about lore.

Edited by king of nowhere