DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How did the show hold up for non-fans watching with you?

king of nowhere

1 hour ago, forte12 said:

Rafe has given Amazon it's biggest hit ever. If anyone thinks otherwise look at the Neilsen numbers for WoT vs. any other Amazon show. This is huge for them. 

Not IMDB ratings- those don't mean ANYTHING to ANYONE other than reddit nerds or what your friends at work think, but the actual numbers... against other Amazon shows.

It's important to remember that Amazon Prime is a small player in the streaming world, everything is compared to Netflix. Netflix owns almost 50% of the market share of the viewership compared to Disney + (9%) and Amazon (8%). WoT was so successful that it actually boosted Prime's share to above Disney+ for December/January. Basically you cannot compare the numbers, streaming wise, to anything on Netflix as you'll only see one or two shows a year crack the top 30 viewership wise that AREN'T Netflix shows. That's why a failure on Netflix is a REAL failure. 

Anyone who says WoT isn't a hit for Amazon needs to pull their head out of their ass. I know you may not like it ( I have my own problems with it) but to deny that it's done well for Amazon (and done well outside of just the online fandom) is absurd. 

Big fish, small pond.

Edited by Raal Gurniss

Hi Everyone,

I'm really new here and I've enjoyed that wonderful ground-based heated exchange you shared. It is entertaining to say the least because to me it's the clearest reflection that we are all incredibly passionate about this story.

That said, I was simply hoping just to share my experience, that has a little twist from the title of the thread, given that I was the one watching with someone who had read multiple times, all the books. 

So my great uncle got me into reading science fiction literature when I was 7, and everything he shared I read, till he tried to slip in the EoTW and unfortunately mentioned there were 14 books. I just didn't know how to commit to that kind of thing 5 years ago. Anyway the show came, and by the end of episode 3 I was completely hooked, so I called him (we live in different countries now) and he simply reply that he hated it. I heard him week after week, and much of what he angrily blurted out, you already said in your comments, but the truth is, that the show was what made me finally grab the books right that first day and finish AMoL a few months later.

Now I have my own little book club amongst friends and mates from work who are on a nice normal pacing reading as well, and we are already discussing the changes made and theorizing about what else could be changed.

Sorry for this incredibly long post, but i guess the only thing i wanted to say is that i probably (most likely) see myself and my friends ranting fervidly about what Rafe ends up doing, however right now.. i'm kind of happy/grateful i got to be interested enough to finally "gift" myself this story!

Have a wonderful day! ?

P.S: sorry if some idea didn't go through right, this is not my first language and sometimes i fail to convey what i really mean.

Edited by Fiore

8 hours ago, forte12 said:

Rafe has given Amazon it's biggest hit ever.

It's important to remember that Amazon Prime is a small player in the streaming world, everything is compared to Netflix. Netflix owns almost 50% of the market share of the viewership compared to Disney + (9%) and Amazon (8%). WoT was so successful that it actually boosted Prime's share to above Disney+ for December/January. Basically you cannot compare the numbers, streaming wise, to anything on Netflix as

Anyone who says WoT isn't a hit for Amazon needs to pull their head out of their ass.

Giving Amazon's biggest hit on Amazon is like an employee of the month award. That can't be a big deal to anyone who is not inside Amazon studios or Amazon Prime as employees. But you would have to compare the budgets. I do not think anyone comparing WoT to GoT is meaning to compare GoT to the Sopranos or what ever series may have run on HBO while GoT was the biggest thing they had. 

Bezos does not what Amazon Prime to be a small player in the streaming world. One would imagine what he wanted was a show that would not simply put them past Disney+. But he would then be finding ways to cut deals with providers the way Disney+ has where so many of their subscribers I THINK come from free subscriptions from providers (I have one, I've been told, I haven't watched it). Maybe he wanted a show that made people want that, so that people would sign up to specifically watch WoT and not because there might be something good on it (I'm currently watching the Beverly Hillbillies on Prime and imagining Miss Hathaway as Moraine, Rand in Andor as Jed /s ) 

What does it mean to be a hit for Amazon? This is analogous to comparing WoT to GoT. Are we talking about something that is like talking about minor league baseball teams? I doubt anyone thinks Amazon wants the best minor league streaming service show, or wants a "hit" among them,  so arguing that they gOt it is sort of silly. The goal is to get buzz going so that Amazon Prime grows because the buzz around WoT is similar to the buzz that grew around GoT.

The thing to measure is 2 years from now, that is what they are looking for. Will this bring significant people in to their service over that time by creating word of mouth and industry awards. It means they have to invest in all aspects of that plan. They have to lobby for awards the way Weinstein did for Oscars (if that's what he did), and they have to create the word of mouth that GoT created for HBO or that Stranger Things created for Netflix. Netflix may have been already on top but there were plenty of predictions and concern that they would be cut out as ntetworks were trying to force their own streaming services on everyone. To say Netflix is still on top, which I don't know if they are, would be a credit to their efforts. But that's what Amazon is hunting for, and Rafe is their big-game guide. or not. 

2 hours ago, Juan Farstrider said:

Giving Amazon's biggest hit on Amazon is like an employee of the month award. That can't be a big deal to anyone who is not inside Amazon studios or Amazon Prime as employees. But you would have to compare the budgets. I do not think anyone comparing WoT to GoT is meaning to compare GoT to the Sopranos or what ever series may have run on HBO while GoT was the biggest thing they had. 

Bezos does not what Amazon Prime to be a small player in the streaming world. One would imagine what he wanted was a show that would not simply put them past Disney+. But he would then be finding ways to cut deals with providers the way Disney+ has where so many of their subscribers I THINK come from free subscriptions from providers (I have one, I've been told, I haven't watched it). Maybe he wanted a show that made people want that, so that people would sign up to specifically watch WoT and not because there might be something good on it (I'm currently watching the Beverly Hillbillies on Prime and imagining Miss Hathaway as Moraine, Rand in Andor as Jed /s ) 

What does it mean to be a hit for Amazon? This is analogous to comparing WoT to GoT. Are we talking about something that is like talking about minor league baseball teams? I doubt anyone thinks Amazon wants the best minor league streaming service show, or wants a "hit" among them,  so arguing that they gOt it is sort of silly. The goal is to get buzz going so that Amazon Prime grows because the buzz around WoT is similar to the buzz that grew around GoT.

The thing to measure is 2 years from now, that is what they are looking for. Will this bring significant people in to their service over that time by creating word of mouth and industry awards. It means they have to invest in all aspects of that plan. They have to lobby for awards the way Weinstein did for Oscars (if that's what he did), and they have to create the word of mouth that GoT created for HBO or that Stranger Things created for Netflix. Netflix may have been already on top but there were plenty of predictions and concern that they would be cut out as ntetworks were trying to force their own streaming services on everyone. To say Netflix is still on top, which I don't know if they are, would be a credit to their efforts. But that's what Amazon is hunting for, and Rafe is their big-game guide. or not. 

I concur, we will soon see by how many awards it wins..

11 minutes ago, Juan Farstrider said:

Razzies will definitely count (though I'm not predicting any at all. Those that win those are a breed apart)

I can’t see it winning any, it just doesn’t stand out enough in any field….

They should have got Sean Bean in for a few episodes….Perhaps as Fain….Or any of a dozen parts.

Give the show a bit of grit it’s sorely missing.

He was after all in both the things Bezos is trying to emulate.

5 minutes ago, Raal Gurniss said:

They should have got Sean Bean in for a few episodes….Perhaps as Fain….Or any of a dozen parts.

Sean Bean has to die though, it's like his big type-casting thing. he dodged a bullet, for a change, instead. 

10 minutes ago, Juan Farstrider said:

Sean Bean has to die though, it's like his big type-casting thing. he dodged a bullet, for a change, instead. 

Could have been Stepin…

Just now, Cauthonfan4 said:

I've always said it would be hilarious to film a movie where Sean bean lives a happy fulfilled life where nothing goes wrong.

Bit of an ask! Closest you can currently get are the Sharpe TV movies, he just nearly dies most of the time in those and is occasionally happy….Well that and Snowpiercer(although I suspect a sticky end is coming for him).

1 hour ago, Raal Gurniss said:

I think they should hire him to play Androl. 

On 2/8/2022 at 6:50 PM, Andra said:

Yes he does.

But he doesn't say - in that context of the term - that he told Bezos this wouldn't be it when agreeing to do it.

Which isn't really pertinent to what people are saying when they bring it up.

Amazon wants WoT to be that blockbuster, whether Rafe ever promised it would be or not.  And they aren't getting it, whether Rafe promised it would be or not.

The statements from the fans that poke fun at "Next GoT" predictions aren't for Rafe failing to deliver something he promised.  They are for Amazon not realizing that what he has delivered isn't what they have said they wanted for five years.

Well in my opinion Jeff Bezos & Amazon wants LOTR to be that.    WoT was/is meant to be the appetizer.

I did not pay a huge amount of attention to the WoT advertising, but I am pretty certain Jeff Bezos himself (but if he did please share and I'll admit I was mistaken) did not showcase the trailers for WoT.  Jeff Bezos personally involved in the negotiations to acquire LOTR.   Bezos personally involved in the marketing.    The show going for 5 seasons is expected to cost 1 billion (as per Vanity Fair).   No SB ad for WoT either for S1 or S2 where as LOTR gets a SB advert.  

I will say, and in the end I am perfectly fine with, that I think Amazon did indeed, either intentionally or accidentally overhype The Wheel of Time to its fanbase.  I think that was necessary in that the engagement of the fanbase was necessary for the marketing of the show at first, since the books themselves are not enough of a draw (but that argument has been hashed & rehashed on other threads). 

So I think that this is where some of the Amazon wants WoT to be the next GOT came from - not because Amazon wants WoT to reach GOT levels of viewership or engagement, but because if people thought it might get GOT focus, then they'd pay attention to it.   And sort of forget about the behemoth that is LOTR slowly creeping up.  

And I'm perfectly ok with that.    I will hope LOTR becomes the most watched most successful most critically acclaimed show ever if it gives even a bit of support to keeping Wheel of Time going for a 8 year run.   I have no issue whatsoever with WoT being in LOTR shadow.  

As long as Amazon continues to fund & support WoT as it has - then I am golden.  

But no for me WoT was never expected or meant to be Amazons answer to GoT.   It was meant as the distraction while they prepped LOTR to be the answer.

2 hours ago, ArrylT said:

Well in my opinion Jeff Bezos & Amazon wants LOTR to be that.    WoT was/is meant to be the appetizer.

I did not pay a huge amount of attention to the WoT advertising, but I am pretty certain Jeff Bezos himself (but if he did please share and I'll admit I was mistaken) did not showcase the trailers for WoT.  Jeff Bezos personally involved in the negotiations to acquire LOTR.   Bezos personally involved in the marketing.    The show going for 5 seasons is expected to cost 1 billion (as per Vanity Fair).   No SB ad for WoT either for S1 or S2 where as LOTR gets a SB advert.  

I will say, and in the end I am perfectly fine with, that I think Amazon did indeed, either intentionally or accidentally overhype The Wheel of Time to its fanbase.  I think that was necessary in that the engagement of the fanbase was necessary for the marketing of the show at first, since the books themselves are not enough of a draw (but that argument has been hashed & rehashed on other threads). 

So I think that this is where some of the Amazon wants WoT to be the next GOT came from - not because Amazon wants WoT to reach GOT levels of viewership or engagement, but because if people thought it might get GOT focus, then they'd pay attention to it.   And sort of forget about the behemoth that is LOTR slowly creeping up.  

And I'm perfectly ok with that.    I will hope LOTR becomes the most watched most successful most critically acclaimed show ever if it gives even a bit of support to keeping Wheel of Time going for a 8 year run.   I have no issue whatsoever with WoT being in LOTR shadow.  

As long as Amazon continues to fund & support WoT as it has - then I am golden.  

But no for me WoT was never expected or meant to be Amazons answer to GoT.   It was meant as the distraction while they prepped LOTR to be the answer.

Well, we know Bezoz was using the term before Amazon acquired either property, but we also know Price applied it specifically to WoT more recently than that.

We also know that Bezos was personally involved in the negotiations to acquire WoT, not just LotR.

And I wouldn't espect WoT to get its own Super Bowl promo because the season ended almost two months ago.  On the other hand, LotR is still to come.  Actually, what I would expect to see is the Super Bowl promo including material from multiple Amazon properties (possibly including WoT) rather than just LotR - since it isn't scheduled until September.  What Amazon wants out of the ad is to get people to sign up for Prime right now, not to wait seven months.  So they would showcase what people would get for it right now.

I don't doubt that Bezos always wanted WoT and LotR to be a gigantic one-two punch.  But I don't think he ever intended WoT to be no more than an appetizer.

I haven't heard anything from Amazon about LotR's budget, but I do know WoT's $10 million per episode is up in GoT altitudes.

LOTR: The Rings of Power has a $450 million budget for its first season. We don't know how many episodes it is, but this is by far the most expensive television show ever made. House of the Dragon is $15 million per episode for season one, which is more than where Game of Thrones started in 2011 but a little short of season 8. Wheel of Time's $10 million per episode is about the same as The Witcher.

No matter what we think we heard Jeff Bezos say once, I think it's reasonable to speculate that LOTR is expected to be the gigantic hit and the cash cow and it's what they're really putting all their chips into, and Wheel of Time is about the same level of effort as The Witcher. Which is fine. Witcher is a perfectly good show, has some crossover appeal, big memes here and there. But it's not Game of Thrones and it's not Lord of the Rings.

There's a stratosphere but then there's an exosphere. Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings are not playing the same ballgame as Wheel of Time and The Witcher and Arcane and basically everything else that may or may not become a lasting hit, but isn't likely to ever touch the exosphere. And Star Wars is pretty much in space, not even on the same planet as other epic franchise IPs. As badly as some of us may think Wheel of Time failed, let it fail on its own terms. It's not gonna get canceled because it failed to get 45 million viewers per episode and close downtown bars for private watch parties. Nobody being remotely realistic expected that. All indications are it got about the level of viewership and interest any realistic projection would have expected. What I'm sure Amazon is not happy about is the absolute shit reaction to the end of the season. I don't think they expected a 15% drop in fan ratings for the season after the finale. But up until then, they were probably mostly happy enough.

Let me put it this way. I work in software development for the US intelligence community and Department of Defense. The last spy satellite the NRO put in space when I was still there had a mission patch written in Elvish. I currently work for the Air Force and we have a program in the building I'm in called the Iron Bank and our logo is Baby Yoda. Do you think the US military is going to use Wheel of Time branding for spy satellites and cyber warfare projects any time soon?

14 hours ago, AdamA said:

LOTR: The Rings of Power has a $450 million budget for its first season. We don't know how many episodes it is, but this is by far the most expensive television show ever made. House of the Dragon is $15 million per episode for season one, which is more than where Game of Thrones started in 2011 but a little short of season 8. Wheel of Time's $10 million per episode is about the same as The Witcher.

No matter what we think we heard Jeff Bezos say once, I think it's reasonable to speculate that LOTR is expected to be the gigantic hit and the cash cow and it's what they're really putting all their chips into, and Wheel of Time is about the same level of effort as The Witcher. Which is fine. Witcher is a perfectly good show, has some crossover appeal, big memes here and there. But it's not Game of Thrones and it's not Lord of the Rings.

There's a stratosphere but then there's an exosphere. Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings are not playing the same ballgame as Wheel of Time and The Witcher and Arcane and basically everything else that may or may not become a lasting hit, but isn't likely to ever touch the exosphere. And Star Wars is pretty much in space, not even on the same planet as other epic franchise IPs. As badly as some of us may think Wheel of Time failed, let it fail on its own terms. It's not gonna get canceled because it failed to get 45 million viewers per episode and close downtown bars for private watch parties. Nobody being remotely realistic expected that. All indications are it got about the level of viewership and interest any realistic projection would have expected. What I'm sure Amazon is not happy about is the absolute shit reaction to the end of the season. I don't think they expected a 15% drop in fan ratings for the season after the finale. But up until then, they were probably mostly happy enough.

Let me put it this way. I work in software development for the US intelligence community and Department of Defense. The last spy satellite the NRO put in space when I was still there had a mission patch written in Elvish. I currently work for the Air Force and we have a program in the building I'm in called the Iron Bank and our logo is Baby Yoda. Do you think the US military is going to use Wheel of Time branding for spy satellites and cyber warfare projects any time soon?

….Problem with WoTtv is that it doesn’t have it’s own its own terms..

It stands and possibly falls due to somebody else’s terms…

Its not the WoT many people wanted, but its the one we got and it was deliberately made to antagonise a section of the audience that supported its creation by those that recreated it for TV.

It stands and “possibly” falls because of those that reforged it into what it is.

So I watched the Season 1 WOT trailer with my yr 9/10 English class (14-16yo) today as part of an activity to categorise narrative genres & schemas (and a subtle bit of brainwashing of course?). They are the kind of kids who are TV fans, a few of them read fantasy/SF/Manga almost exclusively if given the choice, and a few more of them know & use film jargon more confidently than I do.

None of them had heard of the novels or the TV series apart from what I had mentioned earlier in the week, but all of them were enthusiastic about watching more (which probably won't happen in class - the curriculum is packed enough as is).

Comments included: "I'm definitely picking up Game of Thrones vibes here", "so kinda like The Witcher but not emo?" and "I've seen that chick (Madeleine Maddern - we're Australian) in a good cop show before."

Interestingly, one of the film buffs was straight away like "the witches or whatever they are are over-powered." When I asked her to explain she expanded, saying that basically despite Moiraine's voice over explaining the return of the dark one and the danger they were all in, the visuals made it look like the Ais Sedai could pretty much deal with anything at all by throwing unlimited fireballs at the problem. My student felt that it was going to "end up being one of those lame, predictable situations where the characters run around for most of an episode worrying about something that is then solved by magic right at the end in a way that the witches could have done straight away".

I did explain that (well, in the novels at least) there were hard and constant physical rules/limits about magic use, but it reminded me once again that many, many audiences out there these days are so well versed in what makes "good viewing" that any production team with ambitions of making memorable content had definitely better bring their 'A' game on each and every level.

Still, all the kids with Prime accounts at home said they were going to go check it out, so even if I don't end up using the series in class, I'll no doubt hear their thoughts on it if they do end up watching it.

Maybe at the very least I will have made a few new book fans.

1 hour ago, wastingtime said:

So I watched the Season 1 WOT trailer with my yr 9/10 English class (14-16yo) today as part of an activity to categorise narrative genres & schemas (and a subtle bit of brainwashing of course?). They are the kind of kids who are TV fans, a few of them read fantasy/SF/Manga almost exclusively if given the choice, and a few more of them know & use film jargon more confidently than I do.

None of them had heard of the novels or the TV series apart from what I had mentioned earlier in the week, but all of them were enthusiastic about watching more (which probably won't happen in class - the curriculum is packed enough as is).

Comments included: "I'm definitely picking up Game of Thrones vibes here", "so kinda like The Witcher but not emo?" and "I've seen that chick (Madeleine Maddern - we're Australian) in a good cop show before."

Interestingly, one of the film buffs was straight away like "the witches or whatever they are are over-powered." When I asked her to explain she expanded, saying that basically despite Moiraine's voice over explaining the return of the dark one and the danger they were all in, the visuals made it look like the Ais Sedai could pretty much deal with anything at all by throwing unlimited fireballs at the problem. My student felt that it was going to "end up being one of those lame, predictable situations where the characters run around for most of an episode worrying about something that is then solved by magic right at the end in a way that the witches could have done straight away".

I did explain that (well, in the novels at least) there were hard and constant physical rules/limits about magic use, but it reminded me once again that many, many audiences out there these days are so well versed in what makes "good viewing" that any production team with ambitions of making memorable content had definitely better bring their 'A' game on each and every level.

Still, all the kids with Prime accounts at home said they were going to go check it out, so even if I don't end up using the series in class, I'll no doubt hear their thoughts on it if they do end up watching it.

Maybe at the very least I will have made a few new book fans.

Hopefully! Although more likely is that many of those that would like the book will be put of reading it by the TV series.

8 hours ago, wastingtime said:

So I watched the Season 1 WOT trailer with my yr 9/10 English class (14-16yo) today as part of an activity to categorise narrative genres & schemas (and a subtle bit of brainwashing of course?).

This reminded me of a friend I mentioned earlier who hadn't read anything.  And what he said after watching the trailer and then the first episode.

"What happened to Egwene and the paint?" ?

6 hours ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Hopefully! Although more likely is that many of those that would like the book will be put of reading it by the TV series.

I've know a few people who got excited to read the books after watching the show.  I advised them not to start until the season ended (which they agreed was a good idea).  Every one of them that has then read at least EotW has come back with something like "what the hell did they DO to this?

I can only think of one person who was initially put off reading by the show.  And I convinced him the things he didn't like in the show were all changes from the book.  He said he would read it, but I haven't heard his opinion since.  Or even if he's actually started.

Reminds me that I need to call him. ?

18 hours ago, wastingtime said:

I love this.

Rafe and company need to tighten things up.

Regarding LOTR vs WOT expectations - regardless of the budget, WOT has that "fresh" factor that LOTR lacks. We're essentially watching a LOTR prequel series. It may be wonderful, I'm certainly looking forward to it...but the hyper-awareness of LOTR in popular culture is a double-edged sword.

WOT is new content to viewers, and if the show improves, it can attract the kind of word-of-mouth excitement that not even a flood of advertising can buy. And while the streaming/TV landscape has shifted (splintered) since GOT, a fresh, good story can still draw plenty of excitement. I'm hoping the team rectifies some of the deficiencies of Season 1, even if we never get the series we imagined.

On 2/23/2022 at 11:15 PM, Chivalry said:

We're essentially watching a LOTR prequel series.

Amazon has that base covered, Rings of Power comes out this fall.  It’ll be interesting to see how the two shows compare, since there’s definitely a noticeable Amazon house style. 

Edited by William Seahill
minor grammatical error

1 hour ago, William Seahill said:

1 hour ago, William Seahill said:

My dad couldn’t understand the need for the magic system in WoT to be split Male/Female, I don’t get it either.     

Yin-yang inspired and a plot device..It’s one of the core principles of the entire story.

I mean you could get rid of it, but you would have to do some considerable re-writing.

Edited by Raal Gurniss