DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

6 minutes ago, JaimAybara said:

Are you seriously suggesting he is “ruining” Wheel of Time in a Rockefeller vs. Carnegie style tit for tat?…or is this a joke? I can’t tell. Historically there is precedence for rich people doing petty stuff like this, like Rockefeller buying an ore mine and undercutting steel prices to prove a point to Carnegie. So, yeah, does happen. I can’t remember which of the two didn’t drink but the other would send a bottle of Scotch as a dig against them, and the other would send a “poor man’s” waistcoat to remind the other of their modest beginnings; But I want receipts for this if you mean it. Show me the CarFax. 

Pretty sure he’s joking. 

22 hours ago, ArrylT said:

https://tvline.com/2021/12/21/nielsen-streaming-rankings-wheel-of-time-prime-video/

Nielsen rankings arrive - more good news for WoT viewership.

this article says wot was 2nd most viewed premier since Hunters in 2020.  This contradicts what dragonmount has posted about it being the biggest premier ever on Amazon.  I was somewhat suspicious of that statement because there is no source for it

2 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

this article says wot was 2nd most viewed premier since Hunters in 2020.  This contradicts what dragonmount has posted about it being the biggest premier ever on Amazon.  I was somewhat suspicious of that statement because there is no source for it

One is the premiere, one is the first three episodes as a show

https://nordic.ign.com/wheel-of-time/52500/news/wheel-of-time-is-one-of-the-most-expensive-shows-amazon-has-ever-made

"Wheel Of Time is one of our most expensive shows that we've ever made," he replied. "So we are really proud of the investment and we think that it shows on screen, and we're spending more in season two than season one."

Sanders couldn't give any specific numbers, but elsewhere in our interview he expressed a lot of optimism around these high-fantasy and sci-fi novel adaptations as fodder for epic storytelling opportunities Amazon is interested in. He's adamant, for instance, that Wheel of Time won't get cannibalized in future seasons by Lord of the Rings' higher profile and budget, and that the two shows will help build one another's audiences over time.

45 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

I think the issue comes in with where Nielson ends their date.

With just a few days of eligibility for this measuring period, Prime Video’s already-renewed fantasy saga adaptation (which bowed on Nov. 19) debuted at No. 1 with 1.6 billion minutes viewed across its first three episodes — making it the second most-watched Prime Video original since Hunters (in February 2020).

I am going to guess that the Nielson ratings are for the week of Nov 15-21st.   So the episodes only dropped on the 18th at 7pm ET / Midnight GMT so only had 3 days + for that time period - and still ended up being the 2nd most watched Amazon Original show ever.  

So for the time period covered by Nielson - 2nd most watched - but if you count all the streams of the first 3 episodes from the launch til now ... then it is the biggest launch.  

36 minutes ago, Pandemonium said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/wheel-of-time-expensive-shows-amazon%3famp=1

They are spending more in season 2 than season 1.  heck yeah, now given them some more screen time once they realize how popular fantasy series are and how they need more time to blossom

I hope they expand future seasons to 10 episodes. Probably too late for Season 2 given filming already underway.

4 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

the 1st sentence isn't supported by the quote after it.  That's why I am wondering where that is coming from.  even the amazon interview I just posted says nothing about it being the number 1 premier

I don't really understand all the different measures that are being thrown our way. For all I know, it's all "lies, damned, lies, and statistics". But it does seem that Amazon is very happy with the data, and it can only help to keep hearing that WOT is the "highest rated...", "most streamed...", etc.

16 minutes ago, Chivalry said:

I don't really understand all the different measures that are being thrown our way. For all I know, it's all "lies, damned, lies, and statistics". But it does seem that Amazon is very happy with the data, and it can only help to keep hearing that WOT is the "highest rated...", "most streamed...", etc.

The "wonderful" thing about streaming services, is there's no real way to get objective 3rd party numbers for viewership. You'd need a view of the stream number from every ISP consolidated globally, which isn't going to happen. So all we have is the streamers' released numbers, and it's too new a field for the market to have really demanded a consistent set number from the streamers. We're getting closer to it, though, with Parrot and the like, but for now, Amazon gets to say which metrics they want.

It's the same stupid way that 10 Spotify streams is equivalent to 1 album sale for the music industry. Like hell it is.

6 minutes ago, Jaysen Gore said:

You'd need a view of the stream number from every ISP consolidated globally, which isn't going to happen.

Or for, you know, companies to transparently share their metrics. ? One of the many examples of conflicts of interest like owning the content distribution platform that hosts and streams your in-house television show. Amazon has the rest of the streaming industry by the gizzard owning something as wide-spread and dominant as AWS.

I don't at all like the company, but I am in love with the show. Such confusion.

4 hours ago, Ralph said:

I do kind of agree with the author, if realistic was what they were going for I don’t think that really came across. It was very well done and all kinds of awesome but some of the stuff in there is a bit much to be called realistic.

I did have to laugh at the elite Companions of Illian being made to look like a bunch of nobodies basically.

3 hours ago, MasterAblar said:

I do kind of agree with the author, if realistic was what they were going for I don’t think that really came across. It was very well done and all kinds of awesome but some of the stuff in there is a bit much to be called realistic.

I did have to laugh at the elite Companions of Illian being made to look like a bunch of nobodies basically.

hey, i'm sure someone said in the books "5 on 1 is even odds against aiel, if your 5 are good troops". the companions were good troops, they were 5 on 1, even odds. they all died but mortally wounded tigraine, so the math worked ?

but really, i don't see anything superhuman in that fight; except maybe that it was made by a pergnant woman in labor. i don't see any of the wuxia stuff that the article complains about. did he ever watch the olympics as a show of what humans can achieve with training?

this reminds me of people complaining about dana running with a sword because somehow they think running for one full minute with a sword weighting 1 kg in your hand would require some "special training". I'm sedentary and overweight and I could do it.

i just take it as prejudiced people grasping at straws to despise the show.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

hey, i'm sure someone said in the books "5 on 1 is even odds against aiel, if your 5 are good troops". the companions were good troops, they were 5 on 1, even odds. they all died but mortally wounded tigraine, so the math worked ?

but really, i don't see anything superhuman in that fight; except maybe that it was made by a pergnant woman in labor. i don't see any of the wuxia stuff that the article complains about. did he ever watch the olympics as a show of what humans can achieve with training?

this reminds me of people complaining about dana running with a sword because somehow they think running for one full minute with a sword weighting 1 kg in your hand would require some "special training". I'm sedentary and overweight and I could do it.

i just take it as prejudiced people grasping at straws to despise the show.

I don't dislike the show. I don't even dislike that scene. I think that scene is one of the best in the series so far. It being somewhat unrealistic to me isn't criticism, it's fine for things to be a tad unrealistic at times. 

I believe the line is an unarmed Aiel against an armed person is an even fight, if you're good. There's a far cry between that scenario and this one. That being said Perrin and Gaul do kill 12 Whitecloaks on their own in tDR. Granted Whitecloaks aren't Companions, and Perrin and Gaul were not rudely interrupted in the middle of giving birth but nonetheless it's a pretty crazy feat. Certainly nothing suggests that Tigraine was as good as those 2 but then there's nothing that suggests otherwise either.

So while Tigraine's feat is a tad unrealistic to me, I'm perfectly fine with it because the whole point of the scene is to show how ridicilously dangerous Aiel are, not least those who are protecting their unborn child. And, you know, she's Rand's mom. If she's crazy dangerous then surely he'll be as well goes the movie logic.

EDIT: Oh and regarding the Dana scene I never understodd what the issue was with that scene. Only thing I was meh about there was it seemed weird to me that a Darkfriend would be that blatant but it's a minor thing.

Edited by MasterAblar

4 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

If she's crazy dangerous then surely he'll be as well goes the movie logic.

Right on the money here. I have a sneaking suspicion Rand will become crazy and dangerous, so that's some nice foreshadowing. ? Great scene all around though. It definitely hit me in the feels.

Birth mom killed Companions as a warm up, father basically the most badass Aiel in living memory, and adoptive father a blademaster and pretty much the coolest dad you could have. Kari must have been a retired Amyrlin or something.

Edited by MasterAblar

16 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

Birth mom killed Companions as a warm up, father basically the most badass Aiel in living memory, and adoptive father a blademaster and pretty much the coolest dad you could have. Kari must have been a retired Amyrlin or something.

Queue the old school theory that Kari was an Aes Sedai and Tam was her warder.  

?