DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Matrim bloody Cauthon

Elder_Haman

If they did want to make a reasonably prominent (non Aes Sedai) character gay, I think the best choice would be Galad.

But I don’t see it happening. They would be more likely to introduce a new character for that purpose (if they felt it warranted) than to change the arc for an existing character.

22 minutes ago, Tim said:

If they did want to make a reasonably prominent (non Aes Sedai) character gay, I think the best choice would be Galad.

But I don’t see it happening. They would be more likely to introduce a new character for that purpose (if they felt it warranted) than to change the arc for an existing character.

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, Siberian Rat said:

Just remember how they introduced various changes in GOT, like Robb’s wife, and other subplots. Nothing they can change without completely wrecking the original main plot should be a surprise. 

Casting Meera Syal as Lanfear for season 2 was a pleasant surprise though.

A 60-year old for Lady Selene.  We'll see, but she doesn't make my mouth go dry...

Edited by DojoToad

3 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I will take her grudgingly. And only if esteemed character actress Margo Martindale turned down the role.

LOL - I'm just saying Meera would be a better fit for Verin than Lanfear.  I was thinking more like Salma Hayek for Lanfear.

But back to Mat - I hope they don't change him too much.  I can take him being darker rather than the fun-loving trickster.

• Community Administrator
25 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

LOL - I'm just saying Meera would be a better fit for Verin than Lanfear.  I was thinking more like Salma Hayek for Lanfear.

41 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

A 60-year old for Lady Selene.  We'll see, but she doesn't make my mouth go dry...

Salma Hayek is 55, only "5" years younger than Meera.

Hell, I've heard people say Natasha O'Keeffe, whom is 34 is too old to play Lanfear.

3 hours ago, Tim said:

I think they will make Moiraine gay or bi. But the latter wouldn't be changing her character. Unless RJ just considered it a "phase" she went through while she was young.

To the surprise of no one, I'm not a fan of this. Did Pippen need a conflicted backstory? Did Merry? In the first book, Mat is essentially comic relief, but our expectations for that type of character are turned on their head when he ends up with the dagger from Shadar Logoth and starts to become possessed and evil. 

That's a cool, fun, and interesting storyline! Feels like the writers not trusting the source material. There's a difference between "This is a change we have to make for the story to work for TV" and "I know RJ did this, but how much better would it be if we did this?

No evidence for this, but it just kinda seems like the writers can't help themselves. 

48 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I definitely have some trepidation. But it could work. 

Same. It definitely isn't a foregone conclusion that it's going to be bad. Plenty of adaptations change all sorts of stuff and it works out just fine, but on a project as large and ambitious as WoT, adding variables unnecessarily kinda seems like tempting fate a bit. Feels like they've got a full house but don't like that it's Kings and Queens and so are mixing it up hoping for Kings and Aces, you know? Not really playing the odds.