DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E7: The Dark Along the Ways

SinisterDeath

1 minute ago, Bruan said:

They wanted Archie to feel more mature in ‘Riverdale’. Now we have Archie banging Ms. Grundy instead of hanging out with Jughead and mixing up date nights with Betty and Veronica... Not the same story there either, but at least they didn’t call it ‘Archie and Friends’ and claim to be faithfully ‘adapting’ the comics to the screen.

This is completely off-topic, but "Riverdale" is 'faithfully adapting the comics to the screen'; it's just not adapting the old-school Archie Comics, and was never going to because its source material is the Archie material published from 2010 and beyond.

1 minute ago, Elder_Haman said:

Yes, because the core story of the Wheel of Time is about whether Egwene and Rand had sex. ?

no. The core of the story is how a handful of kids from some backwoods town change the world and then kick the crap out of the Dark One. But the story isn’t just the destination, the story is the journey. And yes, the show is taking a completely different highway going through different states than the books so far. Yes, these changes drastically change the story, and that is why many people who love the books are not loving the show.

4 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

This is completely off-topic, but "Riverdale" is 'faithfully adapting the comics to the screen'; it's just not adapting the old-school Archie Comics, and was never going to because its source material is the Archie material published from 2010 and beyond.

you are probably right. I don’t think I’ve read a new  Archie since 1987 or so...

7 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

The following of the books is insignificant in terms of the numbers Amazon is trying to draw. I'm baffled by the fact that you didn't see these type of changes coming from day one. 

I saw them coming from the day castings were announced.  Doesn't mean I wanted the changes or agreed that they were needed to draw the 'massive' audience.

5 minutes ago, Bruan said:

many people who love the books are not loving the show

I beg to differ on this point.

All of the WoT book fans I've been engaging with since the premiere have been very happy with the show overall, even if they're not 100% happy with all of the choices that the show is making.

Edited by DigificWriter

1 minute ago, DigificWriter said:

All of the WoT book fans I've been engaging with since the premiere have, overall, been very happy with the show overall, even if they're not 100% happy with all of the choices that the show is making.

I’m not sure who you’re engaging with, but I’ve seen several unhappy readers on these boards alone, not to mention many other various groups out there.

1 minute ago, DigificWriter said:

All of the WoT book fans I've been engaging with since the premiere have, overall, been very happy with the show overall, even if they're not 100% happy with all of the choices that the show is making.

Really? The same "fans" that only read one or two books?

2 minutes ago, DigificWriter said:

Wow.  There are a bunch on this site that are very unhappy with it.  Every single person I know in my off-line life that has read the books thinks the show is an abomination.  Most have stopped watching.

6 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

Really? The same "fans" that only read one or two books?

No.

These fans are people who've read all of the novels hundreds of times .

Some of them are even contributors to this very website, and most of the others are YouTubers.

Edited by DigificWriter

Oh cool, yet another episode thread devolving into arguments about who the True Fans are. I am once again begging folks to stop thinking that their thoughts or opinions are either universal of or worth more than other fans'.

On the subject of characters having sexual relationships... sorry, but like I said above I like that the characters are being portrayed as sexually healthy adults. Also, I'm pretty sure Rand and Egwene didn't actually have sex in the common room; it fades to black with them kissing in the common room, and we come back to Egwene in the common room and Rand walking in from another room saying "you let me fall asleep". Pretty clear they went to that room (Egwene's room?) when things escalated.

Actually on topic for this thread, we don't know exactly what Lan and Nynaeve did. Maybe they just made out partly naked and cuddled (sounds like a good night to me). The show leaves it ambiguous so think whatever makes you most comfortable

1 minute ago, Elder_Haman said:

You must hang out with angry people. Because "abomination" is some pretty over-the-top language for a tv show. 

No they are not angry people (thanks for the insult).  As a general state, I'm not angry either.  Abomination is perfect language for an on-line forum discussing a tv show.

Abomination - "a thing that causes disgust or hatred".  I think disgust fits.  I'm disgusted that they turned EF into a bawdy, dark town vs a town with resilient mostly upstanding folks recently come through a hard winter.  I'm disgusted that they turned Mat from  light hearted trickster into god knows what.  I'm disgusted that they took away the light hearted war of the sexes.  I'm disgusted that they took away the "I don't know about women, but I think Rand does, or maybe Perrin".  I'm disgusted that they turned Abel Cauthen into a drunk womanizer.  I could go on.

I'm sad about how they changed Lan and Nynaeve's courtship.  I loved it in the books and I wanted to see it played out on screen.  I could go on but as I've said before, we're all in our trenches.

3 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

I had zero expectations when I heard it was being done by someone with no experience whatsoever.

7 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

Not if your a fan of the books...with high expectations that were crushed.

Four minutes apart.