DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Marin al'Vere is a failed Novice

Harldin

Ok hear me out.

Marin immediately recognises the Ring and without hesitation calls Morraine, Aes Sedai. If someone had just heard descriptions of the Ring, they may think to themselves that's an Aes Sedai Ring but most would not be so quick to name the person wearing it as such.. She probably went to the tower 30 odd years before, signed the Novice Book but either could not Channel or was extremely weak and was sent out of the Tower after a few months.

This would make a good way to introduce to the viewers what an Aes Sedai is and where they come from, maybe she addresses the Women's Circle and or the Town Council the next morning, telling them and the Viewers what she knows of the Aes Sedai. 

Guest redgiant

See, this is the sort of thing I unfortunately imagine hearing were I a fly on the wall in the writer's rooms.

"Hey (other writers), here me out ... what if we ..."

Making stuff up unnecessarily to explain other unnecessarily made-up things.

Jesus, just tell Jordan's story.

3 hours ago, Harldin said:

Ok hear me out.

Marin immediately recognises the Ring and without hesitation calls Morraine, Aes Sedai. If someone had just heard descriptions of the Ring, they may think to themselves that's an Aes Sedai Ring but most would not be so quick to name the person wearing it as such.. She probably went to the tower 30 odd years before, signed the Novice Book but either could not Channel or was extremely weak and was sent out of the Tower after a few months.

This would make a good way to introduce to the viewers what an Aes Sedai is and where they come from, maybe she addresses the Women's Circle and or the Town Council the next morning, telling them and the Viewers what she knows of the Aes Sedai. 

IIRC, there was a leaked audition script(?) that had Nyneave talking about her teacher having gone to Tar Valon at some point.  So doing something along those lines is an idea that have explored and it may even incorporate.

Using Marin would work too.  There are plenty of character examples from the books having that very same backstory.  

4 hours ago, redgiant said:

See, this is the sort of thing I unfortunately imagine hearing were I a fly on the wall in the writer's rooms.

"Hey (other writers), here me out ... what if we ..."

Making stuff up unnecessarily to explain other unnecessarily made-up things.

Jesus, just tell Jordan's story.

Changes are coming - get used to it.  You may hate all of them.  But more likely some will be tolerable and a few you might actually enjoy.  It will be the same for me.  I personally don't like the repositioning of the ruby on Mat's dagger.  I assume there is no reason, but maybe there is - even if there isn't, that minor change isn't ruining the show for me.  On the other side, I think bringing out the carnal relationship between Egwene and Rand is a great positive for the show that will pay dividends when they drift apart later.  Not every change is bad (or good).

The proposed change with Marin is extremely minor and very plausible in my mind (though not even confirmed).  If something that small is giving you a stroke, you'd probably be better off staying away from discussion boards like this.  No sense letting it stress you out.

Edited by DojoToad

The books rely heavily on exposition and internal monologues. They are also longer than any studio would want to risk adapting as-is. Unless you want a neutral narrator and voiced internal monologues, and no show at all, we're going to see the types of adaptations suggested in this thread, even if it's not Marin.

i don't see why marin would need to be a novice. aes sedai are famous everywhere. Their rings are distinctive. Is it such a stretch to assume that even people living in isolation would recognize the ring from the description?

On the other hand, small tangent here, moiraine's ring has a blue stone, i assume after her ajah. If ajah rings are color coded, what about the rings given to accepted? and if accepted rings are different, it will impact the plot when egwene, elayne and nynaeve pass themselves for full aes sedai using their rings.

My two cents. 

I think it would be a stretch for most people to recognize the Aes Sedai ring, especially in a backwater like the Two Rivers. In the book the Aes Sedai lament how few of them there actually are, and that most Sisters don't actually go out into the world, they stay in Tar Valon. So you have maybe what, a few hundred Sisters, at most, at any one time in a population of tens of thousands spread out across a continent that are likely to be "abroad", and then likely to spend their time in larger cities? 

I would think that the vast majority of people in smaller cities, towns, and villages could go their entire lives without seeing an Aes Sedai, let alone noticing what kind of jewelry they wear. I think it's an interesting concept to have Marin be someone who recognizes the ring, and by extension the wearer, to get across the point that Aes Sedai are extremely rare.

Sure, everyone has "heard" of Aes Sedai, but almost no one has seen or met one. So it's surprising that Moiraine causes the stir she does. It's as if a dragon (no pun intended) suddenly walked into your local village pub. And like that dragon, you want to tread carefully around them. ?                    

I saw someone theorize that maybe Accepted get a different kind of stone, which they swap out when they're raised to full Aes Sedai. In any case, if the girls can make it look sufficiently similar to an Aes Sedai ring, it's possible they wouldn't be questioned about it because

1. You'd have to be out of your mind to impersonate an Aes Sedai, so why would anyone even consider it

2. Even if someone suspects them, they can't be sure and would err on the side of caution

3. Even if they're sure, they probably would find it safer to go along with it because anyone confident enough to impersonate an Aes Sedai is probably dangerous and nobody wants to interfere with Tower business

It would also make it interesting when they're raised in Salidar, because maybe they don't have the stones on hand there so they can't get a proper Aes Sedai ring, which would explain why the Kin doesn't believe they're Aes Sedai later on.

30 minutes ago, Rose said:

I saw someone theorize that maybe Accepted get a different kind of stone, which they swap out when they're raised to full Aes Sedai. In any case, if the girls can make it look sufficiently similar to an Aes Sedai ring, it's possible they wouldn't be questioned about it because

1. You'd have to be out of your mind to impersonate an Aes Sedai, so why would anyone even consider it

Dear old refuge in audacity.

Nobody would believe it possible, if it hadn't happened multiple times in reality. The reason reality can be much more weird than fiction is that reality does not need to make sense to us.

It would also make it interesting when they're raised in Salidar, because maybe they don't have the stones on hand there so they can't get a proper Aes Sedai ring, which would explain why the Kin doesn't believe they're Aes Sedai later on.

Mindblown!

Could actually work, and be one of those little perks that you can do after changing stuff for other reasons.

Not necessary for that scene, though; the kin reasoning for rejecting the claim of aes sedai is based on age, and it is very well believable. I have no problem accepting that scene.

Unlike the scene of Moiraine walking in an inn with her ring, lan with his color changing cloak, and supposedly being incognito. that's a scene I'm glad they changed, and if they may overdone a bit the dramatic poses, it's still better than the original.

11 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

Not necessary for that scene, though; the kin reasoning for rejecting the claim of aes sedai is based on age, and it is very well believable. I have no problem accepting that scene.

Unlike the scene of Moiraine walking in an inn with her ring, lan with his color changing cloak, and supposedly being incognito. that's a scene I'm glad they changed, and if they may overdone a bit the dramatic poses, it's still better than the original.

I agree the issue with the Kin could happen regardless, but since they're getting rid of the ageless look, it might be harder to explain to a non-book reader audience. The Kin being familiar with the workings of the Tower could make them the only ones in a position to tell for sure that the stone in their rings is fake or an Accepted stone.