DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rafe Q&A after EW photos released

Just a few Q, but thought the following were interesting:

1. Rafe, who’s Idea was it to have Mat have a beard?
Rafe Judkins: We aged up the Emond’s Field Five from the books because sometimes TV shows with a bunch of 17 year olds as leads feel more like YA and Wheel of Time isn’t YA

2. Will The World of Dreams be in the show?
Rafe Judkins: How could you do the show without it?

3. Can we expect to see any of the Forsaken in s1?
Rafe Judkins: It depends on how much you know about the Forsaken

1 Very happy about this answer

2 We'd discussed this one here months back, and I'm glad to see confirmation it will be there. Intrigued with the possibilities

3 What fun

13 hours ago, Fano'Lan Redux said:

3. Can we expect to see any of the Forsaken in s1?
Rafe Judkins: It depends on how much you know about the Forsaken

Well that’s interesting. The most “true to the books” interpretation of that answer is that we’ll be meeting a prominent Forsaken who is mistakenly identified early in the series as the DO himself.

A less likely interpretation is that we’ll be meeting a certain Forsaken who first appears under a different name early in The Great Hunt - highly doubtful we’ll see that one until Season 2. 

Also possible that Rafe will deviate from the books and introduce one or more other Forsaken in Season 1 without thusly identifying them.

But his answer also probably means - if taken literally - that we won’t be meeting Aginor or Balthamel in Season 1, or ever, as it would be hard not to realize what they are.

Almost certainly, though, he’s just referring to that one dude with with flaming eyes. 

I think it's likely they'll introduce some Forsaken without naming them as such. But yeah it's surprising that he sort of implies that Aginor and Balthamel won't be in S1. I suppose he might use Ba'alzamon in their place, or potentially might do away with the fight at the Eye and make the battle at Tarwin's Gap more prominent in the climax of the season. Tough to say what they'll change and how it will work out, but I'd really love for Moiraine's badass scene at the Eye to happen so I hope they have an antagonist there for her to face down whether it's a Forsaken or not.

The ageing-up of the main cast is another surprise for me. I can see this one being a bit controversial, especially if they're trying to portray them as mature adults at the beginning (which I doubt, but then again who knows?). I do understand wanting to get away from a YA feel though. And honestly I never knew the actual ages of the main cast so a minor change adding a couple years shouldn't bother me. But the general immaturity of the EF5 at the beginning goes hand-in-hand with their isolation in the Two Rivers, thematically. They learn about the wider world at the same time they're growing up. So I am still hoping to see that captured in the show.

• Community Administrator
4 hours ago, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

I can see this one being a bit controversial, especially if they're trying to portray them as mature adults at the beginning (which I doubt, but then again who knows?). I do understand wanting to get away from a YA feel though. And honestly I never knew the actual ages of the main cast so a minor change adding a couple years shouldn't bother me. But the general immaturity of the EF5 at the beginning goes hand-in-hand with their isolation in the Two Rivers, thematically.

I doubt they're aging them up to 25-28 year old "mature" late 20s.

They've probably been aged up to immature "18-20" year olds (college age). Right at that age of going out on their own, getting their Drink on, and really finding out what "sex" is.

There's not much difference in the "immature" mentality of 17-21 year olds.

The biggest difference between them in our society are the laws they have to abide... Or something like that.

it will also be easier for the future of the shows. if this thing is successful, we can expect the show to last for about 10 years. by that time, the main cast will be 30. but only a couple years passed in the story, so you'd have to still pass them as much younger. start by passing the character as a bit older than the actor, and it will be easier to keep up appearances later

22 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

it will also be easier for the future of the shows. if this thing is successful, we can expect the show to last for about 10 years. by that time, the main cast will be 30. but only a couple years passed in the story, so you'd have to still pass them as much younger. start by passing the character as a bit older than the actor, and it will be easier to keep up appearances later

Good point. 10 would be fine by me

On 8/23/2021 at 1:53 PM, Beidomon said:

Well that’s interesting. The most “true to the books” interpretation of that answer is that we’ll be meeting a prominent Forsaken who is mistakenly identified early in the series as the DO himself.

A less likely interpretation is that we’ll be meeting a certain Forsaken who first appears under a different name early in The Great Hunt - highly doubtful we’ll see that one until Season 2. 

Also possible that Rafe will deviate from the books and introduce one or more other Forsaken in Season 1 without thusly identifying them.

But his answer also probably means - if taken literally - that we won’t be meeting Aginor or Balthamel in Season 1, or ever, as it would be hard not to realize what they are.

Almost certainly, though, he’s just referring to that one dude with with flaming eyes. 

Good breakdown.  The use of "any" in the question definitely lends to the Ba'alz and Ba'alz only conclusion, but there's some wiggle room. Maybe we get a Perrin dream sequence with an early glimpse of an un-named few scheming in T'a'R, or who knows what. I can hardly wait to see this telling

On 8/23/2021 at 2:18 PM, lt;(^-^)gt; said:

I think it's likely they'll introduce some Forsaken without naming them as such. But yeah it's surprising that he sort of implies that Aginor and Balthamel won't be in S1. I suppose he might use Ba'alzamon in their place, or potentially might do away with the fight at the Eye and make the battle at Tarwin's Gap more prominent in the climax of the season. Tough to say what they'll change and how it will work out, but I'd really love for Moiraine's badass scene at the Eye to happen so I hope they have an antagonist there for her to face down whether it's a Forsaken or not.

The ageing-up of the main cast is another surprise for me. I can see this one being a bit controversial, especially if they're trying to portray them as mature adults at the beginning (which I doubt, but then again who knows?). I do understand wanting to get away from a YA feel though. And honestly I never knew the actual ages of the main cast so a minor change adding a couple years shouldn't bother me. But the general immaturity of the EF5 at the beginning goes hand-in-hand with their isolation in the Two Rivers, thematically. They learn about the wider world at the same time they're growing up. So I am still hoping to see that captured in the show.

This and the Logain capture would be great scenes to cement for viewers just how significant the difference between One Power wielders and non- actually is within the story.

4 hours ago, Fano'Lan Redux said:

This and the Logain capture would be great scenes to cement for viewers just how significant the difference between One Power wielders and non- actually is within the story.

Giving us more Logain + the Reds is easily one of the best improvements that Season 1 can make to EOTW. I’m looking forward to this.