DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What characters do you think they merged?

SinisterDeath

Gawyn and Galad's contributions could easily be blended together. Galad has far more important plot points going forward than his brother. Really, other than giving Egween a love interest, Gawyni is mostly just whiney. In fact, I think Egween's story is plenty strong on its own and would be better off solo.

Edited by SinisterDeath
Language

6 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

Only reason I want Gawyn in the story is so Mat can kick their behinds when he can barely stand and then kill him in the tower fighting. I actually his death would serve more of a purpose than his 'plot arc'.

I agree. His overall contribution amounts to so little!  I was also glad to see his ultimate demise. His failure on almost every  level pretty much sealed his fate. He was Egween's lost puppy.  Thats why I see him as so Expendable for the show.

• Community Administrator

Just a friendly reminder to everyone.

DM is PG13 when it comes to swearing.

Masking your curse words with other symbols like ***, is just cursing with extra steps.

In the future, try to stick with curses found in the books "Bloody Mother's Milk in a Cup!", and use words like "Damn, Shit, and Hell" sparingly and never directed towards another member.

• 2 weeks later...

Whether or not Gawyn gets cut or written out early is an interesting question, and probably has more to do with whether or not they want a love interest for Egwene than anything else. From a TV perspective, Gawyn isn't really needed anywhere. His role in Siuan's escape isn't important, he doesn't really matter for Elayne's plotline, and he isn't really important for the Tower civil war, which will certainly focus far more on channelers in the TV version. Which leaves his relationship with Egwene as his sole major involvement with a protagonist, and that's not particularly important for Egwene's character arc so much as it exists to give her some romance.

Given current trends in writing and my own personal bias against the Gawyn and Egwene relationship, I would expect them not to give her a relationship, and so the more I think about it the more I think he well might be cut entirely or written out early. I'm probably wrong, though. I do think Galad is 100% a lock to stay because, as other posters have noted, the Whitecloaks appear set to play a prominent role in the show, and he is both a vehicle to show us the internal workings of the Whitecloaks and to (eventually) reform them for use in the climax.

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 12:10 PM, TheTuna450 said:

Whether or not Gawyn gets cut or written out early is an interesting question, and probably has more to do with whether or not they want a love interest for Egwene than anything else. From a TV perspective, Gawyn isn't really needed anywhere. His role in Siuan's escape isn't important, he doesn't really matter for Elayne's plotline, and he isn't really important for the Tower civil war, which will certainly focus far more on channelers in the TV version. Which leaves his relationship with Egwene as his sole major involvement with a protagonist, and that's not particularly important for Egwene's character arc so much as it exists to give her some romance.

Given current trends in writing and my own personal bias against the Gawyn and Egwene relationship, I would expect them not to give her a relationship, and so the more I think about it the more I think he well might be cut entirely or written out early. I'm probably wrong, though. I do think Galad is 100% a lock to stay because, as other posters have noted, the Whitecloaks appear set to play a prominent role in the show, and he is both a vehicle to show us the internal workings of the Whitecloaks and to (eventually) reform them for use in the climax.

I have to agree with all your points. Gawyn always irritated me. His character never seemed crucial to the narrative. And to your point, beyond a shoehorned love interest for Egwene, his contribution to the overall saga is practically pointless. All he really does is whine about Rand while following Egwene around like a lost puppy. 

The whole storyline of the "younglings" felt kind of cheesy to me.  Of all the names you could use to instill dread in your enemy... The band of the red hand, the people of the dragon, the deathwatch gaurd... "The Younglings" ???

I love The Wheel of Time, and I love Robert Jordan. But this is a character that should easily be dropped.

Guest Wolfbrother31

Ya'll have convinced me. Even amongst the "main" characters - particularly Camelyners, Aes Sedai, and Forsaken - there is just too much going on in the books for TV adaptation. I don't have a biased against Gawyn - but I agree that Galad is more important and Gawyn is an easy cut, or he can be combined. I think Cads has to go, she can role into a Wise One - maybe Amys. And the Wise Ones themselves can be roled together into 2 or at the most 3 characters that we get "more" of.

And though there are multiple good arguments in this thread for various Forsaken being important ... what the show will need is 5 or 6 (total) really well acted and developed antagonists. 13 Forsaken that, as I think @Thrasymachus amply argued, are "shadowy" and not all that relatable or human, aren't going to be those characters. For TV, you need characters that can be complex and relatable and with a few poignent scenes can "get in their heads". Like Gollum in the LoTR arguing with himself.

So of the Forsaken, I think they should keep and develop 3. Ishamael, Lanfear, and Moghedien - and then combine Rahvin with Byrne. The main antagonists - I would think - are going to be Padan Fain, Elaida, Liandrin (with an expanded role - representing the Black Ajah), Bornhald (expanded role with the White Cloaks), Suroth (or some other Seanchan with an expanded role), and Couladin (at least I hope - representing the Aiel antagonist) ... as well as some small selection of the Forsaken - like I suggested above. Even then, there is just  ... sigh ... and uphill battle for a television adaptation. There are SO many characters in WoT; let's be real; 2/3's of them aren't going to make the cut!